PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop HACKERS???!!!!

brovver
26th May, 2009, 07:41 PM
Please, please help. I am using a wireless router which I initially had not protected with a password (I know i'm mad). I realised someone was sharing my connection and put on a password and changed the name, within 2 days the Hacker had taken off the password and changed the name back. I have no idea what I should do. I am using a Sweex wlan router. Please please advice!!!

fearghost
29th May, 2009, 08:48 PM
Have you enabled encryption on your wireless network? Also, change the password for the admin account on your router to something un-guessable.... Disable remote access to your router (normally you only need to do this for your home lan.

gazz10
29th May, 2009, 08:57 PM
Please, please help. I am using a wireless router which I initially had not protected with a password (I know i'm mad). I realised someone was sharing my connection and put on a password and changed the name, within 2 days the Hacker had taken off the password and changed the name back. I have no idea what I should do. I am using a Sweex wlan router. Please please advice!!!

how did you know someone was sharing your connection?

Change login/pass to router and dont have it a common name add characters to it.

Just do a reset of your router if its been changed and you cant get in , little reset button at back.

then make it wpa encryted.

mrtell
29th May, 2009, 09:23 PM
Most important, dont use a WEP key, use a WPA key.
I can break a wep key in about 4 mins and i am no expert, also when using a WPA key use a combination of letters, numbers and symbols that don't make sense, if you use a dictionary word the key can still be cracked by using a brute force dictionary attack.

firemouth
7th June, 2009, 08:14 AM
Most important, dont use a WEP key, use a WPA key.
I can break a wep key in about 4 mins and i am no expert, also when using a WPA key use a combination of letters, numbers and symbols that don't make sense, if you use a dictionary word the key can still be cracked by using a brute force dictionary attack.

good advice, mind you replacing one letter with a number, in a dictionary word, does exactly the same thing. no amount of brute force will sort that. but it wont stop the determined hacker. if you use a program like Network magic, you may be able to find their ip address. if so place it in the restriction section, so the router refuses connection, whatever passwords they have.

hopper28
7th June, 2009, 09:09 AM
what I have done was first change the password for logging into your Router and then setup the router to only accept connections from MAC address only, this way even if they have your password the router wont connect to their computer unless that MAC address is listed in the allowed section.

on_the_jazz
7th June, 2009, 11:00 PM
what I have done was first change the password for logging into your Router and then setup the router to only accept connections from MAC address only, this way even if they have your password the router wont connect to their computer unless that MAC address is listed in the allowed section.

MAC filtering is pointless. He'll just sniff a MAC in use and change his MAC address to that.
Just do whats been said -
1) change your router password.
2) use a strong WPA password.

He won't be able to get in for a long time if you do this (and if you haven't had a pc inside the network exploited).

hopper28
8th June, 2009, 12:54 PM
That is what I said change the password and limit to mac address extra protection.?

firemouth
8th June, 2009, 06:45 PM
That is what I said change the password and limit to mac address extra protection.?

well exactly, only don't bother with the MAC bit. if you change your password on a regular basis, they will, most likely, never get back in.

Bulld0g
8th June, 2009, 06:51 PM
Use WPA and use a phrase with spaces as password. No ~~~~er will get in that :)

firemouth
10th June, 2009, 11:06 AM
consensus seems to be, a GOOD password is the best defence. it should not be that hard to work out really. just change your current passwords for both the Router access and the wireless access. it does not matter how many times he has been in, a new stronger password will do the trick. and it only takes about 5 minutes to do.

bahooo
15th September, 2009, 01:02 AM
If possible you could decrease the range by lowering the transmit power.

hrabe
13th August, 2010, 10:57 AM
hide SSID too...

v5uk
13th August, 2010, 11:52 AM
block the rouge IP so he cant get into it

starsky
13th August, 2010, 01:25 PM
Reset router, change admin password, make wireless password difficult, encryption type WPA or WPA2

jugghack2
21st August, 2010, 02:25 PM
I would use WPA2 tpik rather then any other encription type
as suggested earlyer use a strong password (lower case/Upper case letters,numbers and symbols) using a hidden SSID and Mac permit only list will make your home or buisness network as solid as possible but there is no network that is totaly hack proof you can only discurage them with the time it takes to figure out 4 or 5 diffrent means of keeping them out
Good Luck

Regards,

mbsobrinho
21st August, 2010, 05:24 PM
Besides all that was said, if your router has remote administration control, like the linksys routers, you can disable it. Thus only connected via the settings can be changed ...

kourkoutas
21st August, 2010, 08:51 PM
use a strong WPA password and change the admin password of the router

bazare
22nd August, 2010, 07:33 AM
try a password with a lot of characters and using all type of characters with dots commas digits etc.

yorugualoco
27th August, 2010, 01:48 PM
your best option is using WPA2-AES encryption

Advanced Encryption Standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard)