PDA

View Full Version : Freesat and Sky same dish?

Gun_Man
28th May, 2009, 08:15 PM
I have a Sky dish and i want Sky and Freesat in every room. Also Free view, how do I go about doing this??
Should I :

A-- use one dish with a octo LNB 4 for the rooms and 4 for the 2 sky plus boxes. Put a new digital aerial on the roof and run that to a 8 way RF splitter in the lot and run those cables to the rooms as well for free view.

B-- Get a standard dish with one LNB run that cable to the loft and split it there to all rooms.
or
C-- well I don't have a C :P
Any help will be appreciate as I know what i am doing when it comes to cable TV but Sky is a whole different ball game for me.
Cheers lads.

terriers
28th May, 2009, 08:35 PM
seems like youve got it sorted regarding sky!!!...but why would you want freeview as well when sky carries those programmes??

Gun_Man
28th May, 2009, 08:59 PM
yeah i know that but would i need to have a digi box in every room to tune them in or can i just plug the cable in the back of the TV and tune 1-5 in or if the TV has built-in free view would it still work?

opsmonkey
29th May, 2009, 02:41 PM
my father in law uses option B.. but only the channel on the main box can be viewed in every room.. have you seen these. (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223487&C=SO&U=strat15). they let you change the channel in any room but all the TV's have to watch the same channel

DoXe
2nd June, 2009, 12:03 AM
If i were you i would use 1 dish with a quattro LNB and a Digital aerial. Take all your feeds and use a XX way switch (XX is the number of points you need) run the cables to your rooms and use a triplex/quadplex plate to seperate the aerial from the satellite signal.

This will the give you all the options you want.

Also please note that if you wanted to split the 1 lnb idea in option B it is not possible unless all the receivers are watching the same band. There are 4 bands in total: Vertical low, Vertical high, Horizontal low and horizontal high. inside the LNB there is a switch that is controled by voltage and tone 13 volts for vert 18 volts for horiz and to make it go to the high bands it will have a 22khz tone.

Hope this helps you.

DoXe

lincsat
3rd June, 2009, 05:00 PM
You wouldn't need Sky and Freesat in every room as the freesat channels are on Sky, even ITV HD is available on the Sky+ HD box with the new firmware.

You may want Sky in the main rooms and freesat in the others. I would probably only have freeview on the odd set rather than all of them, but if you were to have it on them all, I would go for the IRS approach. Dish with quad LNB + TV Aerial outside, 5 feeds to a multiswitch in the loft, then 2 feeds to each room with a Sky+ and a single feed to the others, then fit the appropriate outlet plate for each room :)

Gun_Man
7th June, 2009, 02:14 AM
As you can see from my diagram this is what i am going to do, but will all the tv in the other rooms have SKY on lets say channel 6 and Free view on the free view set top boxes/built in on the tv's? As you all said free sat comes with the sky boxes any way so we might just get soem extra boxes in the future but for now this is what we want. Also i have to do this tomorrow so if you can just give me the thumbs up as soon as that would be grate.
Cheers guys

Gun_Man
9th June, 2009, 09:18 PM
ok so I installed everything as I said I would and how I planed out in my diagram. also I changed the dish and the LNB as I said I would. Everything works all TV now have analogue and digital TV and channel 6 on all of them is now showing sky. But as for the Sky+ its self its not working. I pissed around with a ?6.99 satellite meter that I brought. Thought that I had the correct sat on the signal strength screen it said signal strength about 85-90% so I was happy with that and quality was over 65% as well so I thought grate restart the box and away I go. But nothing :( just keeps saying no transponder or something. Also the second input feed from the LNB to the box for sky plus is showing a blank. So I have run 4 cables and they all are ok because I plugged them into the first input that you seen the box get signal but when you unplug that same cable and plug it in the second input nothing. I think that may be pointing at the wrong sat like Firebird? and not the Astra. Please help me lads I bet all I have to do is just get up there again and move it a bit and job done?
Also if any one can just send me a link to where I can but a GOOD satellite meter that would be a grate help as the thing that I have at the moment just makes a shitty buzzing noise and that's about it not much help at all. In fact I used a handy-mon with a fly lead to the box and watched the signal screen on the engineers menu to find the best signal. Once again I have to drive all the way to my dads again on Thursday to sort this out so please help me out Cheers.

krazylegz
23rd June, 2009, 03:10 AM
nothing to do with satellite allignment m8 if other boxes work ok.

can be one of two things 2nd tuner is goosed in sly+ box. has anyone in your family or mates got a sky dish set up with 2 feeds that you could test it on?

or the lnb is faulty, i had a similar problem recently, took my sky+ box to my caravan but only one tuner would pick up a signal, turned out it was my lnb, bought a new quad lnb and its been spot on since

DESSERTDOG
8th July, 2009, 06:44 AM
As i read the first post its FreeSat and FreeView he wants.

Quote " I have a Sky dish and i want Sky and Freesat in every room. Also Free view, how do I go about doing this??
Should I "