PDA

View Full Version : Ipad air+ cellular

tempo123
23rd January, 2014, 11:38 AM
Hi all, I would like to buy an Ipad Air + cellular from a network provider (vodafone, EE), my question is: Is it locked to that provider? What is going to happen if it is lock and in two years down the line I want to change the carrier? I don't really want to JB my tablet because will be for work. I read that in USA the Ipad Air are unlock, but this is not true for old generations Ipad. Anyone that bought an Air from a network provider tried this? Many thanks for your help

johnboy1974
23rd January, 2014, 01:39 PM
If you buy your Idevice from apple it is generally unlocked and always will be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tempo123
23rd January, 2014, 03:26 PM
If you buy your Idevice from apple it is generally unlocked and always will be.

I know this mate, just wondering if buying from EE or vodafone what is the score......

johnboy1974
24th January, 2014, 09:32 AM
It would be practically guaranteed to be locked to that network for the duration of the contract.

Pppr
24th January, 2014, 04:37 PM
Usually it is not locked, unless the provider gives a discount with your contract (check the price). When you buy a phone you don't pay the full price, you pay indirectly the rest through one or two years contract.
The sim card is locked to that carrier but you can change it and use another carrier's sim card and it will be updated.
I have bought several iPads+cellular, all from Apple though, and have changed the sim cards.