PDA

View Full Version : Thanks button

on_the_jazz
31st May, 2009, 04:43 PM
Why does nobody seem to want to use it?

And why do I keep seeing lots of newbies using a reply to say thanks instead of the button, but then more newbies use the thanks button to say thanks to the reply (which only says thanks). Its like bizarro world or something on here recently.

One of many examples would be - http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f39/cccam-2-0-10-a-10729/

Am I the only one who thinks "wtf" when they see this?
Maybe the heat has got to me :cheer:

opsmonkey
31st May, 2009, 05:43 PM
a simple 'Thanks' post is all some people need to get their download and bugger off..

caveman_nige
31st May, 2009, 07:30 PM
I tend to go through the forum and delete them when i have a quiet moment.. The advise to use the thanks button is given in the intro tips sticky post/thread for noobs, but some people will always try it as a method of post clocking for downloads.. its no big deal though and not worth getting in too much of a sweat about guys..

on_the_jazz
31st May, 2009, 08:21 PM
Yeah I know it annoys when people post clock but its the random thanks messages which have received thanks which seem weird to me. Like if I wrote a post saying thanks why would anyone click the thanks button on it. Ok time for my cold drink I think :D

Oh and pretty funny gohoney lol

chroma
1st June, 2009, 01:48 AM
Whats the point of it? i mean other than a huge epenis?

Thanks post, thanks button, people are still saying they're appreciative in some way, i figure the intention is there regardless.

Besides thanks is like being gay, its better to give than to recieve :hahaha:

cM iPro v3
1st June, 2009, 11:02 AM
there i used it a few times!

caveman_nige
1st June, 2009, 11:29 AM
Whats the point of it? i mean other than a huge epenis?

Thanks post, thanks button, people are still saying they're appreciative in some way, i figure the intention is there regardless.

Besides thanks is like being gay, its better to give than to recieve :hahaha:

Forum statistics can be artificially inflated by such posts, but the main problem is it makes a forum very messy, with thousands of thanks posts all over a forum it can be harder for people to find the information that was the reason for starting the thread in the first place... To add to it some people feel the need to build a post count and will just post such crap everywhere. Some threads have had 100+ thanks posts removed since their creation.

As some of you will be aware there are forums that will ban members for posting thanks posts without further text/info in them. We take a lighter line here and just try to keep the place tidy so the info is easier to find and the forum remains easy to use...

.: JaCkPoT :.
1st June, 2009, 11:56 AM
i remember the thread about sky box secret menu which i asked DF to clean up..there was about 50 posts saying 'thanks'

chroma
1st June, 2009, 04:35 PM
Soloutions:
Write an autopruning script in PHP

Or

Implement a minimum wordcount per post?

Or

Create a humerous word filter that changes Thanks to...
Post created by an inept user, clearly unable to see the THANKS button.

Seems it would save the mods a whole lot of headaches, if thanks messages get autodeleted or if it automaticaly points a user in the right direction/ limits his bumpcount.

gohoney
4th June, 2009, 09:38 PM
Yeah I know it annoys when people post clock but its the random thanks messages which have received thanks which seem weird to me. Like if I wrote a post saying thanks why would anyone click the thanks button on it. Ok time for my cold drink I think :D

Oh and pretty funny gohoney lolno problem and did i say thankyou very much