PDA

View Full Version : Debate - Reverse F1 Grid

Devilfish
11th March, 2008, 04:07 PM
They're talking about reversing the positions on the grid for the new F1 season; fastest cars to the back and slowest to the front.

What are your thoughts?

This means that the drivers could deliberately go slow in qualifying to gain a better position. Doesn't make sense to me.

Unless they get rid of qualifying and use the finishing positions from the previous race, 1st going to the back of the grid. That would continually test the drivers each week. But qualifying is a good part of the sport.

Hmmm....

Baaheeduk
11th March, 2008, 04:18 PM
I think last years championship proved that the changes they made prior to the start of the season, helped make it one of the closest and most watchable F1 seasons for a long time.

I cant see any point in making the fastest cars start from the back of the grid? It would be chaos (Sorry Kaos ;)) at the first and second corner.

It takes great skill to stay ahead of your opponent at high speed and plan how to overtake/Lap the cars at the back as it is?

I say keep it the way it is?

Sicilian
11th March, 2008, 04:20 PM
Cant see how it would work tbh. If you the fastest you get pushed to the rear?? Dont make sense, there would need to be somekind of points bonus for this imo.

Jaffa
11th March, 2008, 06:14 PM
I think it would be crap and I dont for one minute see them cancelling qualifying as it is a massive money spinner, theres nearly as many at qualifying as the race.

janobi
19th March, 2008, 01:46 PM
Could be quite dangerous to be honest. Some of the slower drivers can cause accidents as there reactions aren't as good as the faster ones. Cant see it working, and if this year is as close as last, then I dont think there will be a need for change.

charlie senator
19th March, 2008, 07:47 PM
Well i think that it would be rubbish like Jaffa said qualifying days bring in massive gates these days i can't see the teams losing that

wiiman
20th March, 2008, 12:08 AM
I think the idea of it is to have normal qualifying followed by a normal but shorter race then having another short race with the positions reversed.

charlie senator
20th March, 2008, 12:19 AM
They do a similar thing in pick up racing .The winners of the first race start in reverse order for the second race. It does make for interesting racing but i don't see the point of it for F1 .It would be a bit like saying the order of the premiership would be reversed halfway through the season can you see the big four agreeing to that !

krazylegz
21st March, 2008, 02:15 AM
i think it'll be sh!te if they did that like.

you'd get the likes of hamilton,raikkonin,alonso etc all going really slow in qualifying so they get to the front of the grid

thommo
21st March, 2008, 02:54 AM
yeah they,d all sandbag and run on full fuel for qualifying....they sandbag in testing when the cameras are about so the competion doesnt think they,ve got competion so the same would happen in qualifying too for sure.

btw the first race was great im hoping the season matches up to that race.

wiiman
21st March, 2008, 09:19 AM
yeah they,d all sandbag and run on full fuel for qualifying....they sandbag in testing when the cameras are about so the competion doesnt think they,ve got competion so the same would happen in qualifying too for sure.

btw the first race was great im hoping the season matches up to that race.

must agree with you there thommo was the best race i have watched for years, usually i end up turning over after about 30 mins when i feel like watching it!