PDA

View Full Version : Plasmas are shite.

C64
7th June, 2008, 09:00 PM
;)

Just my opinion.

I've not seen a top of the range set in action, the most expensive one I've used cost ?1,599 and was purchased in January, my dad bought a Samsung 50" thing for ?1000 and the picture is garbage, I've taken note of 'optimum settings' as posted on AVFORUMS and it's still shit.

This technology has a long way to come before I buy into it.

On the other hand, my Sagem 50" DLP is stunning and has the best HDTV picture I've ever seen :)

Lets argue!

;)

thommo
7th June, 2008, 09:26 PM
so do we add that to your dislikes list then m8 lol.

ps3

plasma

i,ll await your next pet hate lol.

but really back on topic, mines great i paid over a grand for mine its a Hitachi with a motorised base and the pic is spot on, better than some of the more expensive and more recommended sets everyone goes on about.

i do wish i had waited though but only because of cost.

ive loads of sets in my house lol, other half dad jokes we have a set in every room inc the toilet.

C64
7th June, 2008, 09:42 PM
Hey, I don't hate the PS3, I think it'll be a great machine once it's hacked ;)

My dads tv was ?1299 just over a week ago, the price drop is what prompted us to buy it along with some really good reviews on AVFORUMS, but seriously, the picture is manky (Scots word, lol) I've sat for 2 days playing around with the settings and I've not been able to recreate anything like my own tv, I even took note of some 'optimum settings' that someone had posted on the AVFORUMS but it still looks ~~~~ing awfull, the only way i can descibe it is that the picture is 'mushy' at best. Someone told me that Plasmas need a 'burn in' period before the picture settles, I only hope this is true coz so far I'm not impressed, HOWEVER...and I suppose this is more important..........my DAD LOVES IT! :)

BTW, like u I've got TV's all over the place, you can never have too many.

I enjoy nothing more than a shit, shave, shower and a soap opera :)

My next pet hate will be DARKIES ;)

Curious123
7th June, 2008, 11:01 PM
Hey, I don't hate the PS3, I think it'll be a great machine once it's hacked ;)

My next pet hate will be DARKIES ;)

Witchy m8 I will say one thing for you and that is noone could ever accuse you of being controversial! lol

charlie senator
7th June, 2008, 11:11 PM
I've had a 42 inch Hitachi plasma for 3 years and the quality is great .Don't know much about your set up witchy but i'm happy with mine

C64
7th June, 2008, 11:29 PM
Either you all wear milk bottle glasses or my dads tv is ~~~~ed ;)

I've played around with the settings but I just can't seem to get anything resembling the same picture as my own HDTV, it all seems mushy and over bright and i can't seem to get the colour correct.

I'm hoping one of you guys can give me some tips. :)

Anyway Charlie, we all know your out your face on weed ;)

C64
7th June, 2008, 11:31 PM
Witchy m8 I will say one thing for you and that is noone could ever accuse you of being controversial! lol

I do love a good fight TBH ;)

I just hope everyone that reads this is mature enough to realise that my 'DARKIE' comment was entirely tongue in cheek :)

Femalelizzard
7th June, 2008, 11:37 PM
HEY witchy i recently got a basic 50inch LG plasma for ?999 and I get a decent pic and im only using the rgb green red blue comp cables and a old 200 wat kenwood amp and woofer knocks socks of most of my pals big LCDs there total blurry and the spent good money on hd cables etc

They havent cheap tvs either bla bla :tee:

C64
8th June, 2008, 12:02 AM
LCD's are shittier!

AFAIK.

Femalelizzard
8th June, 2008, 12:08 AM
LCD's are shittier!

AFAIK.

AH witchy your just after tit for tat today you been on the stella lmao :giveup:

C64
8th June, 2008, 11:32 AM
AH witchy your just after tit for tat today you been on the stella lmao :giveup:

lol, spot on ;)

...But i really do need some tips on setting the contrast, brightness etc. :)

aftermath
8th June, 2008, 01:32 PM
Pioneer 42" plasma here, must say its the best pic quality ive seen among friends,neigbours,family. Especially when i put a blueray disk on, its awesome.

cp52
9th June, 2008, 01:24 PM
I've been a plasma man for years generally on most large screens normal tele looks crap, HD looks awesome lcd are more expensive, can't handle motion well, i would not buy an lcd over 37"

thommo
9th June, 2008, 01:53 PM
I've been a plasma man for years generally on most large screens normal tele looks crap, HD looks awesome lcd are more expensive, can't handle motion well, i would not buy an lcd over 37"

re-think needed my friend.......vice versa.

ronaldo121
9th June, 2008, 08:42 PM
i have a 32" Samsung LCD and a 42" Panasonic plasma and the Panasonic is ahead in both SD and HD!

The picture on my Panasonic will only improve as it is being run in. So pretty happy with it. It is the TH42PZ85B (full HD)

hypahacker
9th June, 2008, 09:31 PM
sagem are crap don tlike um

Bulld0g
9th June, 2008, 09:39 PM
Well i got a Panasonic 42" Plasma last week, and thought the pic was a bit shitty, but after buying a new Scart lead and messing around with the settings the pic is now 100% better. I see you can buy a callibiration DVD to help optimise the settings on your tv. I started downloading it when my new scart arrived, so didn't fnish getting it. It's on Newsgroups but i can't think what it's called.

ronaldo121
9th June, 2008, 09:57 PM
what model is it you have bulldog?

Bulld0g
9th June, 2008, 10:06 PM
Viera it is m8. Got it from John Lewis'

ronaldo121
9th June, 2008, 10:31 PM
what model is it?

Bulld0g
9th June, 2008, 10:35 PM
TH42PX8 whats yours m8

ronaldo121
9th June, 2008, 10:46 PM
th42pz85b you must have got the 5 year warranty to

Femalelizzard
9th June, 2008, 11:32 PM
Just a Comment to make about plasmas the save you heating bills cos when mines on it warms up the sitting room I dont have to turn my heating on honest
it ~~~~ing heats the room cos its so small :idea:

Devilfish
10th June, 2008, 06:56 AM
i think your statement is miles off the mark.

until you've tested or at least seen EVERY plasma model, you cant possible make a statement like that.

i have a 50" pioneer from a previous range and its superb. i've setup my bros 42" samsung on a dbox2 and its superb, as is my bro-in-laws 50" samsung on a dm500c.

plasmas are the best...just my opinion. ;)

Bulld0g
10th June, 2008, 12:14 PM
th42pz85b you must have got the 5 year warranty to

Yea m8 5 year guarantee :)

madmanc
11th June, 2008, 02:07 PM
hi witchy i suffered same thoughts when i 1st got a 50" plasma .

do yourself a favour and get a hold of DVE calibration disc. personally i bought the hd version (dve high definition) as its ok when downloaded but with the bought version you get colour filters to look through when sorting the colour. if u got a hd player with your 360 you can use the reverse side to calibrate in hd which once done is awsome. its not hard to do but you do need quite time to focus and concentrate. i got my copy from egay fpr 10 quid with postage.

as for using optimum settings thats just silly each tv is totaly different weather same model or not. you should also have your set on for 1 houre before you change anything,as the temp needs to be correct for true settings.

good luck m8 post back your results if you do it m8.

trueno
12th June, 2008, 12:06 PM
Not sure whether LCD TV or Plasma is better, but just lost my 32" Panasonic CRT last week. Brought (cheapest at ?563) Samsung 42" Plasma PS42A456P - must say I'm happy and impressed with it's quality using the basic Virgin box.

With the Samsung I'm more concerned with the crappy sound output (10w) and the weak stand - what a joke.

Btw, I was worried about the LCD black levels and the dim lighting that I use in the living room so decided on the plasma just to be on the safe side. Looking at LCD TV in the shops showed them being fantastic and I couldn't really see a difference of LCD vs Plasma - but lighting wasn't dim there and sources were unknown!

Priesy
12th June, 2008, 01:46 PM
Either you all wear milk bottle glasses or my dads tv is ~~~~ed ;)

Ah Witchy i see the problem
Just looking at your profile picture tells me you need some new Eyes

lalajones
14th June, 2008, 12:13 AM
I've got a panasonic plasma and wouldn't change for an lcd

ronaldo121
16th June, 2008, 07:04 PM
I've got a panasonic plasma and wouldn't change for an lcd

i agree when watching sports on lcd it is not good on most but on the panasonic plasma it is awesome!

logic_187
19th June, 2008, 05:04 PM
Certain things to bear in mind with plasma's, they take a little while for the picture to settle, this will include the colour, black level response, and the solidity/clarity (couldnt think of an appropriate word LOL) of the picture, also NOT all plasma's are the same.......

tantana
20th June, 2008, 12:15 PM
You have to try plaasma TV from Pioneer guys and than i am sure you will love plasma.

So wonderful design with an excellent clear and natural picture quality.

I give it 9.5 out of 10

logic_187
23rd June, 2008, 10:36 AM
i would have to agree the picture on the plasma are premium ...but so is the price and most people wont pay those prices....

gani12
23rd June, 2008, 04:21 PM
I've Gaot a Panasonic Vierra 37" in one room and aPhilips 42" LCD HDTV in the other
and my Vierra Plasma Kicks Ass Any Day thats my opinion anyway

Mubz
1st August, 2008, 06:02 PM
Pioneer 42" plasma here, must say its the best pic quality ive seen among friends,neigbours,family. Especially when i put a blueray disk on, its awesome.

You have to try plaasma TV from Pioneer guys and than i am sure you will love plasma.

So wonderful design with an excellent clear and natural picture quality.

I give it 9.5 out of 10

:dito:

IMHO there's no other plasma worth buying, and they look just as good turned off... ;)

give it a few months to settle in and you'll probably find it'll start looking allot better...

2b84t
11th December, 2008, 01:17 PM
I've had a 42 inch Hitachi plasma for 3 years and the quality is great .Don't know much about your set up witchy but i'm happy with mine

I also have a 42" Hitachi Plasma, and the picture is also superb. We also have a 50" Samsung DLP (LCD) which is also very good, personally I prefer the Plasma, more colours and a better contrast!

.: JaCkPoT :.
13th December, 2008, 01:35 AM
The opinions are very contrary to the thread title lol

MrMacro
15th December, 2008, 07:37 PM
With any modern TV (LCD or PLASMA) I would strongly suggest that you get the set professionally (ISF) calibrated. When I purchased my 50" Pioneer Plasma I wasn't too impressed with the picture quality; after getting it calibrated the picture really came to life. Wow! What a difference it made, it was certainly well worth the money.

xenafan
16th December, 2008, 10:29 PM
Just bought a panasonic 42 inch monitor and its amazeing!!!

Cheers

Xenafan

mac10
18th December, 2008, 02:45 AM
My votes for phillips 42" lcd, I've had it for about two years, great contrast and really shines with a hd signal....

max2709
2nd January, 2009, 05:40 PM
Hi i agree with mac10 phillips 42" no probs at all

lfc4life
2nd January, 2009, 07:27 PM
I heard that the the tube which depicts the colour resolution dies after 2 years? is that true? :S

HiTeck
3rd January, 2009, 08:45 PM
Ive got a 42" Philips LCD TV in the Dining room and a Plasma 50" LG in the living room and the picture on the plasma is FAR better than the LCD so I don't agree with the statement.

jugno
3rd January, 2009, 09:29 PM
I also agree on this because of the price..

;)

Just my opinion.

I've not seen a top of the range set in action, the most expensive one I've used cost ?1,599 and was purchased in January, my dad bought a Samsung 50" thing for ?1000 and the picture is garbage, I've taken note of 'optimum settings' as posted on AVFORUMS and it's still shit.

This technology has a long way to come before I buy into it.

On the other hand, my Sagem 50" DLP is stunning and has the best HDTV picture I've ever seen :)

Lets argue!

;)

gazz10
3rd January, 2009, 09:49 PM
Well i purchased first plasma 3 year ago, it lastest a year, so upgraded as took out extended warranty, i then recieved a nice 42 lg plasma, loved it perfect, but 2 years later it died just before xmas, picture ghosting and stuff, sky/cable/xbox360 all gave same results, so engineer came out and right away wrote it off, so waiting on vouchers and tehn i will be heading off to get my next plasma, and yes taking the extended warranty out on it.

The way i see it is technolgy changing so fast and to keep up with it or the jones you would need large pockets or extended warranty, there so many ways to fool the engineer that comes out, not that i did but he was telling me them all, and he said he not really bothered as long as he still in job and doing house visits, gettin a cuppa etc when he gets there if it can be fixed he will make sure it cant so you can upgrade to latest set. :)

bigfella9
3rd January, 2009, 10:06 PM
ive had a panasonic 42 inch plasma for the last 8 years or so aprox it cost me 4 k when i bought it and its still a great picture now,i have a 42 inch hitachi plasma aswell 1080i hd on a motor stand that is a sharper picture than the old panasonic,i am buying the new panasonic 46 1080p with built in free sat hd it is class and the best you can buy apart from a pioneer kuro but the pioneers cost as much as i paid for my first set so the new pana is the one for me,samsung arnt the best of tvs thats why you can buy one for under 500 quid in a 42 inch and why the picture is shite my first plasma was a lg i got it home from shop ,turned it on some pixels wer gone and it was like watchin the screen through a net curtain,i took it straight back and bought the panasonic i mentioned,i still have a toshiba 36 inch tv picture frame 2 model with the big back on and the picture is class on that,but that was 2k in its day,it has built in dolby d 5.1 the works it wont be worth much now all the plasmas ect are out,

cactikid
1st February, 2009, 12:04 AM
i needed to update my 40" monitor to the new pioneer kuro plasma 50 and no wonder they say no tv comes near and adding blue ray aswell wow.

portbhoy
1st February, 2009, 01:46 AM
If you look on sites that deal with the techie side of this the opinion seems to be that if your buying over 37 inch then it has to be plasma. lcd dark/black colours just dont look right on a 42 inch screen and clarity is better on plasmas. As for the tube question when I first bought mine someone told me that I would need to get the tube re gased every couple of years but I've had this running 3 years and the one in my shop 4 years and theres no sign of them giving in yet ;)

tfi016304
26th June, 2009, 04:41 PM
Hi, I have a 42" LG Plasma TV and the picture is great, totally makes lcd look rubbish.

After the first 100 hours calibrate it with digital video essentials, the same as the experts use and the picture will be nothing but spectacular.

D8MNZ
5th July, 2009, 04:55 PM
i got a 42" plasma and its looking good so far , any thing i need to know with it ....

caveman_nige
5th July, 2009, 05:32 PM
i got a 42" plasma and its looking good so far , any thing i need to know with it ....

well you really narrowed down the detail, not, so how can anybody answer you question. If you require assistance please state a make and model. thanks

D8MNZ
5th July, 2009, 05:55 PM
well you really narrowed down the detail, not, so how can anybody answer you question. If you require assistance please state a make and model. thanks

ok my bad did state its samsung ie in the title model number

Samsung PS42B430

hope this helps , :hmmmm2: aye relax im a newbie on ere

Gratis
31st August, 2009, 12:31 AM
For screen sizes over 40,they always said Plasmas are better then LCD,yet now with the latest technology LED are apparently the best to buy.Any opinions on this new technology

Mubz
31st August, 2009, 01:20 AM
For screen sizes over 40,they always said Plasmas are better then LCD,yet now with the latest technology LED are apparently the best to buy.Any opinions on this new technology

awesome....
has to be seen to be believed
;)