PDA

View Full Version : Sony Walkman's X Series Sounds A New Note

gmb45
2nd June, 2009, 05:17 AM
The Sony Walkman is making a comeback - 30 years after it changed the face of listening to music.

Sony are releasing the latest comeback of the portable stereo that revolutionised music on the move in 1979.

The X Series will have tougher competition then it did 30 years ago with the iPod reigning supreme in the market.

The new Walkman can be used to watch videos, look at photos, listen to music and browse the internet.

"When Sony launched the first ever Walkman, it changed how people listened to music," said Sony's Paul Gyles.

"We're aiming to change how people see their media players - using a touchscreen, an unbelievably crisp OLED display and digital noise cancelling technology for the first ever time in a media player means that the X Series offers the best audio and visual experience around."

Sony's main competitor is the iPod

Sony is the latest company to look to the past after Cadbury's re-released Wispa, Marks and Spencer produced jam sandwiches and Opal Fruits returned to the UK.

To launch the product, Sony transformed a London Underground tube carriage into a cinema with Hell's Kitchen star Danielle Bux, dressed as a 50's style usherette.

"Now that I've got an X Series, going to the cinema is never going to be the same," she said.

"I might have to start carrying around popcorn in my handbag."

The gadget goes on sale today, costing either ?209 or ?279