PDA

View Full Version : MPs' Expenses: Hoon Sorry For Double Claim

gmb45
2nd June, 2009, 06:53 AM
fcuking accident yeh right, the thieving barsteward.

Another member of Gordon Brown's cabinet has been forced to issue a humiliating apology and pay back money after the latest MPs' expenses allegations.

Transport Secretary Geoff Hoon has admitted he "accidentally" overclaimed ?384 in similar circumstances to Chancellor Alistair Darling, who was in the firing line on Monday.

The scale of the damage being inflicted on the Labour party, just two days before crucial local and European elections, was reinforced in a new poll.

It suggests support for the Government has plummeted 10 points - to just 18% - since the expenses abuse row erupted.

At a meeting of the parliamentary party on Monday night, Deputy Labour leader Harriet Harman warned Labour's position had been "challenging" before and was now "even more difficult".

In response to Tuesday's allegations in The Daily Telegraph, Mr Hoon said sorry for "an entirely accidental" overlap in expenses claims that were virtually identical to those made by Mr Darling.

The Transport Secretary was accused of using Commons expenses to pay the TV licence, gas maintenance bill and home insurance at his Derbyshire property for a year in advance in 2006.

Yet when he was demoted from Leader of the House to Europe minister that July and lost the right to live in a grace-and-favour apartment, he bought a new flat in London.

It was then that he "flipped" his second home designation so he could claim expenses on it, The Daily Telegraph claims - meaning he was effectively claiming on two properties at the same time.

In a statement, Mr Hoon said: "After I left Admiralty House there was an entirely inadvertent overlap in bill payments.

"This was entirely accidental. As soon as this was brought to my attention I repaid ?384 for the additional months of TV licence, British Gas homecare agreement and home insurance, covering the months remaining in the year after I moved.

"I repaid the money as soon as this was drawn to my attention and although this was an inadvertent administrative error, I unreservedly apologise for the mistake."

The other expenses allegations made by The Daily Telegraph today involve:

Andrew Turner, the Conservative MP for the Isle of Wight, who is alleged to have used his office expenses to pay for "life coaching" sessions for a member of staff and for wrapping paper bought on Christmas Eve. His girlfriend, who is also his parliamentary assistant, allegedly told officials that she looked forward to buying "lots of booze" with public funds.

Alan Meale, a Left-wing Labour MP, who is said to have claimed more than ?13,000 for his garden in four years, buying a new storage building, fences and gates and bark chippings.

Eddie McGrady, a Northern Ireland MP, who is alleged to have claimed more than ?17,000 for stays at leading London hotels and is claimed to have tried to charge the taxpayer ?2,570 for food, laundry and telephone bills during eight overnight visits.

Tony McNulty, the Employment Minister, who is said to have claimed more than ?2,000 to cover accountancy bills.