PDA

View Full Version : Cooking On tv

hoggy952
9th February, 2014, 07:13 PM
Has anyone actually ever watched a TV chef cooking something and subsequently gone and tried to reproduce it at home? I, for one, never have.
Like a lot of people, I/we might have gone and bought a book by one of these cooks and maybe tried something from there, but once in a blue moon of a month of Sundays.

If the overriding opinion is that our own experience is typical, it makes one wonder what the purpose of these programs actually is.

Meat-Head
9th February, 2014, 09:18 PM
No try cooking stuff with cooker rather than using a tv

got a "Micro grill (tm)"

yes does cook a frozen horse, but not quite the advertised 7 mins

cactikid
9th February, 2014, 10:47 PM
tried frying eggs on plasma but kept on falling off,some of the cooking programmes are very in depth and at times might like that dish.roll on smellavision

maca
9th February, 2014, 10:50 PM
You never see a dwarf chef.

hoggy952
9th February, 2014, 11:13 PM
The whole purpose of the programme is to sell the accompanying book. I remember there was a whole series of programmes by our Delia who showed us how to cook lovely dishes but failed to tell us the quantities of ingredients. You had to buy the book to find out.

gmb45
10th February, 2014, 06:28 AM
have you seen the amount of stuff you need to buy to do a lot of these recipes, certainly NOT cheap, imo cooking at home is for just that, cheap, so ya got more fur beer :biggrin: i suppose if you have a big family it works oot cheap, but if theres say just you n the fat en tis cheaper to go to ruby shop etc.

M T Glass
10th February, 2014, 06:52 AM
The missus watches all the cooking shows but the menu at home is always the same. There's nothing wrong with her cooking. I sometimes buy her one of those books but some days she says "I don't know what to cook today"

The size of the dishes on those shows would be little more than a snack to me.

gmb45
10th February, 2014, 06:54 AM
ya lucky there m8 my fat en can burn water ffs :puke:

Meat-Head
10th February, 2014, 08:21 AM
Yeah waiting for car to be mot loooked around some cooker shop 3 saucepsbs ?200. Wire brush ?6

jcgrumbles
10th February, 2014, 08:53 PM
You never see a dwarf chef.Ha,class maca.....pmfl

GastonJ
10th February, 2014, 11:41 PM
The whole purpose of the programme is to sell the accompanying book. I remember there was a whole series of programmes by our Delia who showed us how to cook lovely dishes but failed to tell us the quantities of ingredients. You had to buy the book to find out.

Does that mean Nigella is selling a book on t1ts and drugs?

jcgrumbles
11th February, 2014, 08:32 AM
I cant seem to concentrate on the recipe when nigellas cooking........

Meat-Head
11th February, 2014, 08:44 AM
Try it when Tracy Barlow on tv

aftermath
11th February, 2014, 10:02 AM
cooking is very therapeutic . i love cooking, and the more you do it the easier these TV programs become to understand. Once you got all the various herbs e.t.c. it starts to become much cheaper. And once you find the dish you like simply double up on the ingredients and freeze half, that way it works out cheaper too.

Tip : We are the worst country for waste food, we throw tons away, simple things too, like potato skins from potatoes for example, simply fry them in a deep fat fryer, and a little salt, and dip them in a tub of garlic mayonnaise Very tasty and free considering you were going to throw them out.

There are a lot more things that make extra meals that we were going to throw away like, fish bones and the skin, chicken bones and skin, pork fat, the list is endless.

Veg is another example, don't throw it out just gather it all together chop them up, throw in a pan of water, add a cup of lentils or split peas, tin of tomatoes, maybe a tin of chickpeas, add a teaspoon of herbs of your choice ( takes a few goes to get it to your taste ) but very cheap meal.

The best show i would recommend to watch and be able to easily follow is James Martins Saturday Kitchen, especially for the greatest sea food Chef ( Rick Stein ), and of course if you want to watch an all round one Nigela is worth watching. Also the hairy bikers are worth watching, and Ade Edminson in Britain.