PDA

View Full Version : Pumped Up: Petrol Hits ?1 A Litre Once More

gmb45
4th June, 2009, 05:41 AM
Drivers are cutting back on motoring once more as average prices at the pump hit ?1 a litre again, says the AA.

Prices hit a peak of more than 132.9p a litre last summer

The ?1 mark was reached on Monday and prices at the pumps have now risen 4p a litre in the past month, the motoring organisation says.

A poll of nearly 15,000 drivers conducted last month found that 26% are using their car less, 12% have reduced spending elsewhere and 17% are motoring and spending less.

For those spending less, the main areas for cutbacks are eating out, followed by film, theatre and entertainment.

High prices are particularly hitting those in the skilled service and manual workers in the C2 socio-economic group.

Regionally, people in south west England, Wales and the West Midlands were cutting back on spending the most, while Londoners - who tend to have low annual mileage - were least hit by rising fuel costs.

"The reality is that the market speculators have let lose again as they did last summer," an AA spokesman told Sky News.

"The price of oil is artificially high as the speculators scurry from currencies into commodities in the hope of making profits.

"The problem is they are gambling on what is going to happen in six months' time whereas the issue is what is happening now - we are in the middle of a recession and demand is low."

Consumers, he pointed out, would be spending more on petrol, rather than spending on the high street, where experts believe the recovery will begin.

"Traditionally, people cut back on entertaining and spending, then they delay spending on big purchases such as sofas and it's only in the later stages that they cut back on driving and petrol.

"Imagine that all across the country and you have the potential for a real problem - if people are cutting back that much, where is the recovery going to come from?"

The AA is appealing to the Government to hold off any further fuel duty rises to boost economic recovery

opsmonkey
4th June, 2009, 12:46 PM
Still 96.2p per Lt at JET the garage in Lincoln..!!!

I'm back to Liverpool this afternoon to see my Dad, i'll check the prices there then ;)

silentcrow
5th June, 2009, 04:39 PM
Same story every year, The only Speculation is the oil Companys speculating how full they can get there pockets this year. As soon as the thermostat goes back down so will the prices.

opsmonkey
5th June, 2009, 06:53 PM
They have just hit Lincoln.. now 99.9p at my Jet Garage.. 3.7p in two days..!! grrrrrr

harry1986
5th June, 2009, 07:10 PM
bloody hell man with the credit crunch going on the price for petrol should be slashed

ianb1985
5th June, 2009, 08:37 PM
If you want to know the cheapest petrol in your area try this website www.petrolprices.com (http://www.petrolprices.com/) - It's usually upto date within a day or so and it must have saved me a few quid over the years! :beerglass:

HTH.