PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Wireless Problem !

Street Hawk
7th June, 2009, 05:41 PM
Ok guys just a quick one... my dads Wireless router is working one min.. then is not the next!

Tried connecting to the Router Wireless on 4 different machines. it cannot connect at all. the wireless is being broadcast ok, password is ok. it just doesnt wanna assign a ip address to the machines it seems? i cant be sure but either way it wont connect.

The Router is a Netgear DG834GT
ISP = Talk Talk

I have flashed the router with the latest netgear firmware & restored factory settings, selected different Wireless channels
& even swapped the router over for another one the same model router but still the same its still "Aquiring network address"!

I can hard wire into the router and use the internet that way without a problem but it seems to be the wireless that just wont let anything connect at all! i have tried all sorts but cannot figure it out. & all firewalls have been disabled on the laptops & still no joy! so ...

Any of you guys out there that are the dogs bollox on wireless tweaking etc please do help me out here im having a faffin nightmare!

Thanks in Advance. :D

caveman_nige
7th June, 2009, 06:57 PM
what type of security/encryption are you using? Have you tied the connection with out any security configured? What operating systems have you tried with it? I know vista users need to use the extra app from netgear
Windows Vista (http://www.netgear.com/vista) but i guess you have alreadsy tried these anyway

Street Hawk
8th June, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hey Nige

I cant remember what encryption it was using i think it was the WPA encryp... all machines are running windows xp, havent tried connecting without any security but will give that a try next time im at my dads. if it is a security problem what could i do to improve it? i cant leave the security off as too many people in the area will connect to the net. any more idea's would be great.. just so when i do go and look at it again i got a few more angles to try.
cheers bud.

caveman_nige
8th June, 2009, 10:33 PM
trying the connection without encryption is just part of process of elimination, you are not expected to run permanently without it should you be able to connect...

but if you can connect with a wire then its not the dns or dhcp causing a prob, let us know how you get on and we can move on from there...

Street Hawk
9th June, 2009, 10:34 AM
yeah will do cheers nige, im not seeing my old man untill friday night, so ill investigate it then.
cheers bud

Street Hawk
11th June, 2009, 09:55 AM
Ok here's an Update....

I havent been to see my old man yet, thats scheduled for tommorow. i had a friend of mine call me last night, he couldnt connect to his internet wirelessley & guess what??? its another netgear router, but on Virgin media ISP.

same kind of problem.. what ever i tried to do i could not connect to the internet wirelessley.

Isp = Virgin Media
WEP encryption password: enabled
SSID: broadcasting fine
Tried Channels 1- 13

1). I changed the SSID to something new
2). Removed the WEP encryption Password (so unsecured)

Tried to connect to the Router for internet access Wirelessly .. "assigning IP address".. & then said connected with Limited connection came up & no internet access at all.

then connected the laptop directly to the wireless router via ethernet cable & internet came on straight away!.

I then did a ipconfig got the default gateway details.. disconnected the ethernet cable & gave the laptop a static Ip address Manually. again the same problem .. wouldnt connect to the internet wirelessly. i tried with a different machine this time my Dell XPS & got the same Result "limited or no connectivity" i have no idea what is going on but it appears to be a growing problem with laptops & netgear routers. it just simply isnt assigning a IP address to the Laptop over the wireless. only hard wired into the router via ethernet its self.

has anyone else had this problem before & if you have how did u manage to fix it? its bloody annoying lol.

Thanks in advance.

caveman_nige
12th June, 2009, 02:05 AM
i take it you have tried the 'repair' option on the wifi connection properties...? if you can't find it do a ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /renew from a cmd prompt..

Netgear routers are very reliable bud, i cannot all kinds of kit to mine via wifi with no issues at all... the issue is with the config of your wifi connection on your laptop.. using to test your mates is not a good idea when you cannot connect to your own only shows that the common denominator is your laptop so far.,..

however as for other laptops like your mate's and dad's i think you are being a little unlucky...

Street Hawk
12th June, 2009, 09:24 AM
Haha, unlucky aint the word bud, ill give the dns flush a try, my, the drivers for my wireless card are upto date, and i let windows manage my wifi connection. what should i look for with my Wifi Card, configuration wise? i honestly didnt think there was much to configure with my wifi card, i guess i could be wrong ..lol

telboy
12th June, 2009, 11:36 AM
You need to reboot the modem and the router simultaneously. This will solve the problem until it decides to do it again. I suggest you invest in a different brand of router as this is a common problem with Netgear. Or you could use one of the many powerline ethernet tools, which work perfectly.

AvishDx
13th June, 2009, 05:29 AM
Assign Fix IP

Street Hawk
13th June, 2009, 10:17 AM
ok Nige, i have taken the ecryption off my dads router & its working alright, well appears to be anyway... its assigning a IP to each machine without a problem.. ok so where do i go from here ? i cant leave it unsecure so.. what would u recommend ? any type of encryption appeared to be a problem. but i cant be 100% sure

caveman_nige
17th June, 2009, 05:32 AM
well its down to the way the laptop wifi adapeter is seeing/talking to the router etc.. If you are using a software firewall like zonealarm then be sure to put the router ip in your trusted zone. Start of with 128bit wep and see if it holds the ip still.... Then try wpa, personally i can't be arse with it (until now, but will be changing router for one with a tougher firewall), I have too many devices and my family bring their kit here to be fixed also..... i know people will blag on that wpa2 etc secure etc, but i have tools to break into wpa2 so others will have them... If somebody wants in then they are gonna get in, just power down the cable modem or the router at night instead... Use the wifi adapter software to configure the connection/encryption and not the windows supplied control as it will not work as well in 90% of cases.

caveman_nige
29th June, 2009, 02:34 AM
well did you fix it.. I have just chnaged the encryption on my netgear to wpa2. I flashed the router with the latest firmware and test the wpa connection on my linus laptop which of course works fine.. i then tried one of my XP lappies and it would not acpquire a network addy. I downloaded the latest connection software that accompanies the adapter (well in fact its made by the laptop manufacturer IBM) and the connection worked a treat.. basically as advised its best not to use the windoze supplied/built in proggy for the connection as it will not be specific enough for you wifi adapter..

Remember to go into the properties of the connection and turn off the option for the connection to be powered off or disconnected if it is inactive if you get issues with the connection being dropped.

Street Hawk
17th July, 2009, 10:17 AM
I couldnt fix it unfortunatley Nige, there must be something im missing, but i now strongly feel its the modem at fault here, as it would assign a IP address automatically to the laptops etc with encryption disabled & then it would do a mental on me & drop the link. i decided i thought i could be clever & use the Sagem wireless router i had spare ;) from sky. like the Netgear router i got from sky previously & that being the current modem i am having all the problems with.. i thought that i could just re-flash the Sagem wireless router the same way i did with the netgear so it was debranded & then i could configure the bugger from there! i was SOOOOO wrong! lol i tried for hours to flash this Sagem wireless router thinking this would be the key to solving my problems with this netgear router. i couldnt for love nor money find a decent flash for the Sagem & it was a nightmare so bottom line is.. im no further forward & just think i should give up, untill im bored & have some spare time for another head battering haha !

thanks for your help anyhow Nige.. its much appriciated buddy. :D

tonyf100
19th July, 2009, 02:20 PM
ive had this problem in the past, turned out to be that xp had to have service pack 3 installed or vista service pack 2, give it a try

Mjolinor
19th July, 2009, 03:11 PM
Leave encryption off and enable MAC authentication.

There are advantages to having no encryption, no one can prove it was you :)

Reapers
19th July, 2009, 05:11 PM
hmm clone addresses free net and depending on the user maybe retrieve info bad idea i think cant have enough security i believe haha

Mjolinor
19th July, 2009, 05:13 PM
hmm clone adreesses free net and depending on the user maybe retrieve info bad idea i think cant have enough security i believe haha

It's wireless, there is no such thing as "security"

Reapers
19th July, 2009, 07:19 PM
yeah but leaving encryption off so every user can that see your router can access net,router and your computer and any connected to that network. its never wise espically if you do things on pc like web and store docs on it.

encryption helps and secures you from most of the general users trying to get in your network but theres always a vurnible point in security.

Spacerat
20th July, 2009, 10:13 PM
My dad is having the same problem with a newly supplied router from TalkTalk - their tech support reckon it's a hardware fault with that batch of routers. That leaves us two possible options:

1) Bad batch of routers

2) Fathers are too thick to play with WiFi :)

Spacerat

Reapers
21st July, 2009, 03:18 PM
usually its depends on the router buts its usually as simple as

1.reset router + login

2.basic setup
Dhcp if you use limit to your number of computers in network.

3.setup security
firewall
Wireless wpa 2 or wpa no crappy wep if you can.
Mac Filter - to allow only your computers when setting up allow the other network computer first in before enable sometimes it might not allow in.

4.update firmware *to make sure no bugs or software problems affect the routers performance or disconect problems. (only update firmware with ethernet and not wireless.)

5.Ports - portforward.com/ so you can have firewalls on and allows applications to access the internet.

gibbo74
22nd July, 2009, 01:57 PM
my netgear router has developed this same problem on virmin media was working fine until last nite and what ever i do i cant connect to the net on my 2 laptops wii mobile fone anything apart from my pc which uses ethernet please help

shitfabraynz
24th September, 2009, 08:17 AM
i know its a bit late but for future reference this could help.
ive had these problems, only able to connect to my netgear router with the ethernet cable, and manually loading ip addresses even tho ive put the ssid code in.
heres what i did
access your router wirelessly on a pc that can or use the ethernet cable
enter the user name and password(im with sky and its "admin" and "sky"
hit the setup tab
where it says wireless station access list, click the "set up access list"
make sure the box that says "turn on acces control" is NOT ticked
then click apply at the bottom
done
hope this helps somebody:unionflag:

TonyWilt
25th September, 2009, 04:05 PM
Try going into the properties on your wireless connection, Select wireless Networks and then delete all the preferred networks. then scan again and connect, you'll have to put in your network Key again but it worked for me. Its if you have changed your encryption but you have kept the same network name I think, something to do with windows hanging onto the details of the connection/encryption.