PDA

View Full Version : blu ray - are they worth the money

Lainie
8th June, 2009, 11:07 PM
i went to buy slumdog on blu ray yesterday but it was ?18 and thought ~~~~ that. i collect disney dvds and no doubt will need to slowly replace the ones i have with blu ray- going to cost me a bloody fortune

cactikid
8th June, 2009, 11:14 PM
u need a hd tv and 7-1 sound system to get the best of blu ray and i do like the difference.i also bought 4 blu ray discs including slum dog lol.

Lainie
10th June, 2009, 06:48 PM
well i gave in and bought slumdog. not even a wee bloody booklet with the blu ray. there was a day when you got one. bolt is coming out next week and thats a must as its fantastic.

Mr Pumpy
10th June, 2009, 08:20 PM
The computer says NO.

cactikid
10th June, 2009, 10:04 PM
u can now buy blue ray players for pcs lol,but then u would need a 5-1 sound system.

opsmonkey
10th June, 2009, 10:26 PM
i bought a PS3 as it doubles as a Blu-Ray player.. its connected through my LG 1080 HD TV and Surround sound.. the picture is that real you could almost touch it.. the sound is amazing..

If your into films then its a great buy..

Look on the internet for cheaper blu-ray discs than in the high street

wolftje
13th June, 2009, 01:35 PM
I must agree with the PS3 post.
I have bought a PS3 console and it is great with the Blue ray DVD player !(and you get to play games as well :) ) !

on_the_jazz
13th June, 2009, 01:51 PM
u need a hd tv and 7-1 sound system to get the best of blu ray

I've only ever seen a handful of films in 6.1 and 7.1. Almost every release seems to be 5.1.
Now for my knockoff Nigel comment - You can download hd films (they maybe more compressed than bluray but I doubt you can tell the difference under most circumstances) and then play them either through your pc to the tv or through a portable player.

Lainie
13th June, 2009, 01:58 PM
i have a 1080 tv and didnt want another games console so thats why i didnt buy the ps3. already got a wii, xbox, psp and ds!!

Mr Pumpy
13th June, 2009, 09:04 PM
Don't go falling for all this blu-ray hype Lainie, its all a scam to squeeze more money out of you. Current dvd quality is quite acceptable, spend your hard earned money on summat else.

Lainie
13th June, 2009, 11:36 PM
cheers for the advice pumps. i dont buy that many as i see a lot of movies at the cinema (get tickets through work for ?4)

Raven
13th June, 2009, 11:51 PM
I disagree mate the difference between standard dvd and 1080p is staggering.....especially on stuff filmed in HD and on a native 1080p telly....when I first saw it I was floored, it was Night at the Museum and the statues outstide the museum so defined looked real lol.

opsmonkey
14th June, 2009, 12:02 AM
Lainie there are plenty here who will say its either; great or a waste of money..

I personally think the difference is jaw dropping in quality.. My advice is go to somewhere like Comet or Dixons and ask to view a Blu Ray disc through a 1080 TV, there you will see the huge quality difference for yourself and then can decide if its worth the outlay of cash.. ;)

Lainie
14th June, 2009, 12:47 PM
yeah i too think the pic is amazing thats why i bought a blu ray player. i bought a 1080 tv 18 months ago and pic on that is fab. when in comet one day they had happy feet blu ray dvd on and the picture was stunning. i went home and put the normal happy feet dvd on and it just wasnt the same.

until the price of blu ray dvds come down i will only buy the ones i will watch more than once.

cactikid
14th June, 2009, 01:09 PM
when the sales come on u can get a few bargains and i think the prices are coming down as more people are buying players and discs.

john1509
14th June, 2009, 01:22 PM
opsmonkey how have connected your ps3 to you surround sound? i have surround sound but cant work it out as the ps3 is connected by hdmi any info would be great tx

westkill
14th June, 2009, 01:54 PM
got my ps3 connected from the optical port to my reciever/amp :)

mortice
14th June, 2009, 02:32 PM
yes they are worhth the money if you have the right tv

Mr Pumpy
14th June, 2009, 05:21 PM
Don't get me wrong, ive seen a few blu-ray filums at me mates house, and the quality is deffo better. But I reckon a normal dvd on a good quality telly is quite adequate.
Anyways, all that quality is lost on me most of the time, I look like Mr Magoo watchin the telly. :D

cactikid
14th June, 2009, 10:11 PM
Don't get me wrong, ive seen a few blu-ray filums at me mates house, and the quality is deffo better. But I reckon a normal dvd on a good quality telly is quite adequate.
Anyways, all that quality is lost on me most of the time, I look like Mr Magoo watchin the telly. :D

so would u know if u had an analogue tv signal lol:hahaha:

opsmonkey
15th June, 2009, 01:23 AM
opsmonkey how have connected your ps3 to you surround sound? i have surround sound but cant work it out as the ps3 is connected by hdmi any info would be great tx

via a Digital Audio Optical Lead..

Konig Standard 2m Digital Audio Optical Lead with Moulded Plugs (http://www.dv247.com/invt/8081/)

forntida
15th June, 2009, 08:15 AM
You can't beat the Magic Lantern with colour slides of scenes from the bible.:angel: