PDA

View Full Version : Sky f5s hdd and recording to hdd issues HELP PLEASE

dpm1980
17th March, 2014, 10:12 AM
Hi all ive been searching for answers for this everywhere and most threads that start off by talking about it end up in a fight or going completely off track so i thought id post my own.
Basically i have a skyf5s and i was using a 16gb pen drive to record and apart from the odd thing not recording most things did ok. So i bought an externally powered 2tb hdd hoping that would be more stable and work better. But it seems to be worse now! It is recognised and ive updated all my firmware, picons, epg etc all working great. But i find almost everything fails to record now. Ive watched to see what it does when im home and alot of the time the box will come out of standby at the right time but will just stay on the channel it was last on?

Im wondering maybe its because the hdd although still working is NTFS rather than fat32?? or maybe its because when i turn the box on it takes about a minute for the hdd to register?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Should i reformat ? or just leave the box on at all times?

shawy1970
17th March, 2014, 10:33 AM
because a laptop wont format more than 32gb into fat 32 try this.....plug hdd into laptop remove all you need from your hdd.. make sure u have no partitions on hdd if u do remove the smaller and make 1 drive...if you only have 1 drive on hdd skip next step.......format hdd on laptop.... plug hdd bak into box press menu..goto multimedia highlite pvr storage press yellow make sure diskmode is FAT NOT NTSF...press ok let it format ....make sure you have the updated firmware on box including the timer record in stanby update.... do all you epg and picons again.......SHUD????? be ok now !!!!

dpm1980
17th March, 2014, 10:47 AM
HI thanks for quick reply i do have 1 partion as it wasnt letting me record as it said i needed 1 and then when i made 1 it seemed to record ok when recording maually just the timer doesnt seem to be working at all. Is there anywhere thats the best/easiest way to format to fat32?

shawy1970
17th March, 2014, 11:50 AM
you will need to remove partition then format your hdd in your box as i explained format it to fat as fat 32 is sameas fat but only for upto 32 gig so if you remove all partitions then formatt in ur box to fat its the same as fat 32 but 2 tb of fat this will solve your problem as your box will only use the fat 32 part of your hdd so you are not using the other 1.98tb lol

dpm1980
17th March, 2014, 01:20 PM
i get all of that but i dont think thats my problem as the box recognises the hdd fine and does record but it seems more of a box issue? the fact that it turns on at the set time but doesnt even change to the right channel as well as record seems a bit off?

dpm1980
17th March, 2014, 02:11 PM
edit: after reading up a bit on the forums it seems like my update

Skybox release notes state:

1.Fix bug:Timer not work in standby mode.
2.Add descriptor for timer event.
has nt went on properly as the picons new epg you**** now working all are fine but my recordings arent can anyone confirm point number 2 description for event does that mean when u record something the name of the programme appears on your multimedia recording part? as mine doesnt do this either

dpm1980
19th March, 2014, 11:30 AM
ok i got the update working well i thought for the box to come out of standby to record but sometimes almost half of my recordings it turns itself on but doesnt go to correct channel or record? could this be because when my box is first turned on each time it takes about a minute for the hdd to be recognised? its formatted to ntfs would making it fat32 help at all?

nosignolife
24th March, 2014, 11:03 AM
I had the same thing since the firmware update, but I noticed (by accident) that if I left the box turned on, it changed channels and recorded correctly, it just didn't seem to like coming out of standby, incidentally after recording it then switches to standby (?) weird, not a fix I know, but at least it might help while a fix is worked out. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dpm1980
24th March, 2014, 01:38 PM
I had the same thing since the firmware update, but I noticed (by accident) that if I left the box turned on, it changed channels and recorded correctly, it just didn't seem to like coming out of standby, incidentally after recording it then switches to standby (?) weird, not a fix I know, but at least it might help while a fix is worked out. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

glad its not just me i even reformatted 2tb hdd to fat32 still happens but at least now my epg works i know if u leave it on that solves but if u have 2 or more recording then when it turns off after the 1st the 2nd will prob fail! i hope they fix this its very annoying

Chriskend112
24th April, 2014, 10:29 PM
Mine was working brilliantly and fixed the epg summertime fault now this fault. I got my 1tb partitioned to 2x480gb. And both formatted to fat32 so one is for tms and other for recordings. But now issues with Chanel changing lol