PDA

View Full Version : ECU help!!

alienkargo
18th March, 2014, 11:39 AM
Hi guys, I'm just looking for some advice.I've got my wife's Ford Ka in a local garage and it had an ECU fault where some pins were broken causing a misfire on cylinder 4.Basically the garage has tried to repair the pins but to no avail and now the car runs worse than it did when I took it.I've been told if i can get an ECU off another car with the same numbers on it maybe i can use that? any help will be appreciated.

scartplug
18th March, 2014, 12:02 PM
1st option If you get a 2nd hand ecu but you will need to get the immobilizer switched off buy someone so it will start or option 2 is you will need to get a 2nd hand ecu key barrel receiver on the barrel (in some cases) and fit all these.
Im newish here but it depends on the make and model of the car the guys here will be able to give more info.

xdamdamx
18th March, 2014, 12:07 PM
Give some more details, what year is this KA ? if old one, you have two ways - to program a key into "new" PCM with IDS, or to remove the immo completely (EEC-IV and some EEC-V possible).

alienkargo
19th March, 2014, 10:53 AM
the car is a 52 plate Ka luxury with the air con and leather seats.I spoke to the guy that sold it us and he said whilst it was for sale he hadn't run it for a bit and the battery had died causing the alternator to fault and the car lost its ECU code. he said he had the key recoded to the ECU.At the moment It's stuck in the garage that tried to fix the ECU going nowhere and they want me to get a 2nd hand ECU to try it but I'm not sure what to buy? I've seen units with keys on ebay but the serial number is different on them.Does this matter? 12A650DB is whats written on mine.we can find the same number but the last 2 letters are different.All help is gratefully received as we are at a loose end at moment!!

morgano
19th March, 2014, 02:32 PM
number of ford ecus normally are XXXX-12A650-YY you need the XXXX and YY to match yours, then simply change eeprom from old ecu to second hand one.

Example for some Ka cars.

1.0 Litre 3S55-12A650-DB
1.3 Litre 97KB-12A650-DB
... etc...

alienkargo
2nd April, 2014, 07:45 PM
ok just an update.I had a 2nd hand ECU fitted with the ignition barrel.It had water damage and needed doing.The misfire came back after 2 days so we deduced it was the wiring from the ecu to injector 4.A quick rewire bodge and it was problem solved.Thanks to everyone who helped on this post!