PDA

View Full Version : new lappy

xant14
11th June, 2009, 05:12 PM
***STOP PRESS***
I have a mate, very very new to computers, who is buying a laptop to take with him to India where he is working, new job and all that.
He wants to keep in touch with missus and mates.
I have a few movies, and mp3's I am gonna take him, plus I am gonna give him VLC to play movies.

what I want to know.... is what else to bang on his puter b4 he goes. I only have 2 days in which to do all this.

Bulld0g
11th June, 2009, 05:23 PM
Anti Virus anti spyware, firewall for starters. Msn or skype for chatting or video conferencing.

caveman_nige
11th June, 2009, 05:32 PM
how about some kind of autorestore app that will restore his operating system to a level you built it at etc when he screws it up..,. something better and independent of windows restore etc.

I have used acronis for business use for such things a year ago...not sure of any that you get for free so quickly though,, may be some in the software section. I will have look to see if i can find one, gotta wade through all the crap inthere first...

xant14
11th June, 2009, 05:33 PM
nice one bulldog...
probably comes preloaded with an antivirus, he's getting it from pc world i thinks.
hopefully it is a year deal as he is away for 3 month.
MSN... I hate that stuff, but I suppose video stuff from them is good. I don't use messenger.

skype eh? hmmm might be a good idea.... but my mate aint your PC type... he has never had an email address in his life.
he is setting one up just so he can keep in touch.

cheers BD

xant14
11th June, 2009, 05:44 PM
how about some kind of autorestore app that will restore his operating system to a level you built it at etc when he screws it up..,. something better and independent of windows restore etc.

I have used acronis for business use for such things a year ago...not sure of any that you get for free so quickly though,, may be some in the software section. I will have look to see if i can find one, gotta wade through all the crap inthere first...

ah right... good idea, not a lot of time before he goes. he goes away on sunday morning, he lives 40 mile away too. I reckon windows restore will have to do him. I know for a fact he won't be clicking any unfamiliar buttons. he knows shit.

what I was thinking was a few movies for him, some form of communication other than email, music.... even tho music is shite without an external amp/speakers/headphone.... and whatever people thought of.

I am pretty sure he has wifi where he is at... otherwise a lot of stuff is pointless.

xant14
11th June, 2009, 06:03 PM
games, anyone have any daft games he can bang on his puter? smalll stuff.?

cunny
13th June, 2009, 08:59 AM
Lots of ~~~~ for those lonely nights lol.

On serious note, make sure all codecs are in and that the movies play.

Game wise, that will depend on the games he likes playing, he will have a net connection so if he wants games then why cant he download them, or better still facebook is full of daft little games.