PDA

View Full Version : be careful - only standby

ibizara
10th June, 2008, 11:17 PM
i have a samsung tv... everything is good but there is no way of turning it lol seriously it only has a button to put it on standby

you might want to check this before buying one

Devilfish
10th June, 2008, 11:20 PM
I noticed this when my father-in-law bought an LG.

He manually cut the power cable and added in a switch.

ibizara
10th June, 2008, 11:28 PM
lol wen im bored one weekend i think i may do the same

Chunkey
11th June, 2008, 07:42 AM
I recently bought a 50 inch Samsung plasma and mine is exactly the same, I have to switch it off at the socket every night, which is a bit of pain. You would think with all the publicity about global warming and reducing your carbon footprint that all modern equipment should be capable of being fully powered off without having to pull the plug.

Paulie
21st June, 2008, 05:36 PM
Same problem here with the Samsung LE32R87BD. With that and the intermittent whining noise, I'm thinking seriously about returning it and getting another Sony.

caveman_nige
21st June, 2008, 06:16 PM
I have an LG and have no intention of fully powering it off as the continual power surges tend to ~~~~ them up quicker, mine uses less than 1 watt when in standby, so the power usage is cheaper than ?800 for a new TV.

Each to their own though, i don't have carbon footprint as i drive everywhere... [joke]

If you blow up your TV it takes a lot more carbon to make a new one and get it delivered etc, swings and roundabouts really, i will stick with my theory for now..

Paulie
21st June, 2008, 06:25 PM
I have an LG and have no intention of fully powering it off as the continual power surges tend to ~~~~ them up quicker, mine uses less than 1 watt when in standby, so the power usage is cheaper than ?800 for a new TV.

Each to their own though, i don't have carbon footprint as i drive everywhere... [joke]

If you blow up your TV it takes a lot more carbon to make a new one and get it delivered etc, swings and roundabouts really, i will stick with my theory for now..

That's an interesting theory. Have any of the manufacturers recommended this?

caveman_nige
21st June, 2008, 06:27 PM
not to my knowledge, they want you buy new TVs as it makes them more money, just got to that theory by experience....