PDA

View Full Version : outlook exspress import export?

Gun_Man
13th June, 2009, 01:39 PM
I just made an image of a friends pc. Formatted the HDD and put a fresh copy of windows on it for them. They are happy with the way their new OS is working with a back up of all their old files on there, but they called me like one hour later saying that all their email accounts and emails are now gone. I can delve into the image and get to /program files/ out look/ but how to I export all their email accounts from their old image to their new pc?

smoggy
13th June, 2009, 02:23 PM
on vista (I know yours isn't vista but this might point you in the right direction)
in documents and settings/user name/contacts (gives all contacts names etc.

docs & settings/user name/local settings/microsoft/windows mail all your emails folders etc. are in there

crwni
13th June, 2009, 04:51 PM
you need to make sure that you can see hidden files / folders (change this settings in control panel)

search your files for *.dbx and find the folder they are stored in

choose import in outlook and browse to that folder

thats it

Gun_Man
14th June, 2009, 01:35 AM
I know what you are saying but i need to do this by remote some how due to the fact that i don't have their pc and I need to go there with a cd with all this info on it how do i do that?

chroma
14th June, 2009, 11:40 AM
uVNC
Ultra VNC : Remote Support Software, Remote Support tool, Remote Desktop Control, Remote Access Software, PC Remote Control (http://www.uvnc.com/)

have them install the server you install the client.
then just type in their ip address and port and its like your itting infront of their computer from anywhere in the world.

i use it to admin my families computers, saves me having to travel all over the country.

Gun_Man
15th June, 2009, 04:41 PM
I used VNC before its to hard to configure it never seems to work. Also I done the "hidden files" trick but still no joy you make it sound so easy but its not.

ManofScience
15th June, 2009, 05:06 PM
i wasn't aware you could with Outlook Express, you had to export the emails/folder first before the rebuild. Outlook is easy, they're stored in .ost or .pst's but with Express i've always had to export them first.

smoggy
15th June, 2009, 05:28 PM
Have a read here How to Move Emails - How to Move E-mails to Another Computer - Moving Email from One PC to Another-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com (http://www.directron.com/movmail.html#Outlook) Express 6

Gun_Man
15th June, 2009, 09:05 PM
I know what you guys are saying but i have a image of their pc old HDD on my HDD. I need to make a backup of their old out look files burn them to CD and take them to the pc once in the new pc i need to import the outlook backups to the new fresh copy of outlook almost like it had never been touched. There must be a way?

crwni
15th June, 2009, 09:20 PM
CAN YOU SEARCH THE IMAGE FOR *.DBX

if so copy that folder to cd then import from the same folder on new machine

Gareth

ManofScience
16th June, 2009, 10:27 AM
I know what you guys are saying but i have a image of their pc old HDD on my HDD. I need to make a backup of their old out look files burn them to CD and take them to the pc once in the new pc i need to import the outlook backups to the new fresh copy of outlook almost like it had never been touched. There must be a way?

Restore the image, open outlook express, export the emails.