PDA

View Full Version : first uk death from swine flu

Lainie
14th June, 2009, 11:10 PM
the first uk death from swine flu has been confirmed and its being said it was in the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley -where i live. oh god the bloody press will be all over the town tomorrow

caveman_nige
14th June, 2009, 11:12 PM
oh dear that not good to hear, i know it was expected to happen somewhere in the UK at some point but still.....

Lainie
14th June, 2009, 11:20 PM
sad isnt it. my mum has been coughing etc for a week. ive asked and asked her to go to the docs but she wont go. she invidulates at school exams and has just finished a 6 week long stint. there are a few schools in the paisley area affected and pupils have been sent home (not the high school she works in mind) and she still wont listen. i will be on the phone to her first thing tomorrow morning.

Bulld0g
14th June, 2009, 11:26 PM
Looks like it could be the start :( Hope not but i think it is

opsmonkey
15th June, 2009, 12:20 AM
My wife is a nurse and reports that senior doctors and consultants have started to stockpile bottled water, tinned and dried food etc in their homes.. enough for me.. if they are doing it, it says something..!

caveman_nige
15th June, 2009, 12:22 AM
blimey i thought only the yanks did that....

opsmonkey
15th June, 2009, 12:25 AM
me too... and crazy yanks at that.. when respected professionals like senior docs and consultants do it, it shows how serious a 'pandemic' is..

ops has a good stash of 24hr military ration packs (3 weeks worth ;) ) and a battery operated transistor radio should the shit hit the fan

Lainie
15th June, 2009, 10:58 AM
38 year old female who had a baby prematurely 2 weeks ago is the victim of swine flu. such a shame.

berley
15th June, 2009, 11:08 AM
Thats really sad :(

Someone told me the biggest 'at risk' age group is between 35 - 48 has anyone else heard this ?

opsmonkey
15th June, 2009, 11:40 AM
biggest risk is to anyone who has other medial problems.. swine flu if caught will catch out people who have a weakened immune system.. those currently ill or weak..

if your fighting fit swine flu will not kill you... but if it mixes and mutates with other flu strains it will pose a bigger threat to those classed as 'well'

Lainie
15th June, 2009, 12:21 PM
BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Glasgow, Lanarkshire and West | Family 'devastated' by flu death (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8100590.stm)

Lainie
16th June, 2009, 08:42 AM
to make matters worse for the family the baby she had 2 weeks ago has now died. how sad.

MetalKettle
16th June, 2009, 08:45 AM
to make matters worse for the family the baby she had 2 weeks ago has now died. how sad.

I have to agree, a very sad story indeed.

lfc4life
16th June, 2009, 06:36 PM
aaaarrrgggghhhhhhh!

opsmonkey
16th June, 2009, 11:52 PM
no comment media hyping it up

how have the media hyped it up..??
she died of swine flu.. nobody has said 'we are all doomed'..
she had previously given birth which weakens the body and its defences.. swine flu is a big risk to those already ill or who have weakend immune systems..
nearly all swine flu deaths accross the globe have happened to people who are already ill..
in the same way MRSA kills those who are very ill in hospital..
the body is weak from infection or exhaustion and therefore cant defend against another attack..
hunderds of people die from other strains of flu every year..
also i hardly call it 'hype' when the WHO classes it as a pandemic.. the first for 40 years..

swine flu was pandemic in 1918 also..

also 'media hyping it up' is a comment.. so 'no comment' makes no sense, unless its on its own.. which it wasnt
under your username where it says 'sports nutter' you should ask for it to be changed to 'ill informed' lol