PDA

View Full Version : not looking good for job hunters

gmb45
17th June, 2009, 06:22 AM
NEARLY 400 people are chasing EVERY vacancy in some jobs, shock new figures reveal.

The findings expose the ferocious competition to find work in Britain as the recession bites.

And Ministers are braced for more bad news today when the latest jobless figures are published.

A new study of official figures shows there are 395 jobseekers for every vacancy as a LABOURER in metalworks and foundries.

Around 255 are chasing every labouring job in processing factories. Air hostesses are struggling too, with 238 people for every position.

There is intense competition in the building industry, which is reeling from the collapse of the housing market. There are 150 bricklayers ? and 127 plasterers ? for every job.

Ninety-six people are competing to fill each carpentry position, with 56 drivers chasing every forklift truck job.

Even shelf-stacking at the local supermarket has become a battle, with 71 people for every vacancy.

The scale of the crisis is exposed by Tory research into official figures on vacancies.

In October last year, there was an average of two people for every job opening.

Now there are SEVEN jobseekers for each post.

In low-paid jobs, there are up to 19 people for every post.

The situation is better for managers and white-collar workers ? with only four people seeking each post.

But in some white-collar jobs, there are hundreds of hopefuls for every vacancy.

Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary Theresa May said: ?These figures reveal the very real challenge of unemployment across Britain today.

?Instead of providing real help now to jobseekers, Labour have recklessly closed Jobcentres.?

Employment Minister Jim Knight accused the Tories of ?misleading? people by only quoting vacancies advertised in Jobcentres.

FAST food giant McDonald?s has revealed it is receiving 2,200 job applications EVERY DAY. It also said it is taking on 140 new workers daily.

acestu
17th June, 2009, 06:36 AM
When is it going to get any better though M8, i am a mature student looking to go back into the construction industry so i think i'm stuffed...........

cheers
Acestu:beheaded:

Lainie
17th June, 2009, 10:13 AM
i feel so sorry for people losing jobs. some come on the phone nearly in tears as its the first time they have claimed benefit. the number that lost their jobs over 4 weeks previously but didnt want to claim benefit is amazing. however people MUST claim benefit so their national insurance stamps are paid.

gmb45
17th June, 2009, 10:23 AM
i feel so sorry for people losing jobs. some come on the phone nearly in tears as its the first time they have claimed benefit. the number that lost their jobs over 4 weeks previously but didnt want to claim benefit is amazing. however people MUST claim benefit so their national insurance stamps are paid. to right lainie, they have paid their taxes etc and its theirs by right. theres no shame in being out of work it can happen to any1. SO GET CLAIMING IF U HAVE JUST BECOME UNEMPLOYED.

opsmonkey
18th June, 2009, 01:17 AM
i was on the dole for 8 months.. it was a nightmare.. queueing up to sign on was proper demeaning for me.. the DSS was full of proper scabs and scallies.. one lad picked up a monitor and threw it accross the office because he hadnt had his giro..

This was Kirkby though.. Glad i joined the Military when i did lol

chroma
18th June, 2009, 01:57 AM
Im currently stacking cold stuff onto shelves in ASDA.

Money sucks but its a job at this point, i go to interviews regularly trying for something in the IT sector but the competition for posts is insane. When i do land something the contracts are usualy temporary, sometimes only 3 week projects.

I just cut back my hours in asda and plod away doing something i enjoy whilst working weekends back stacking just to keep my safe by knowing that im going to wind up hunting for another post in a matter of weeks, months if im lucky.

Beats signing on, and i get a discount too :)

Lainie
18th June, 2009, 07:24 AM
@ chroma phone tax credits if you are working part time and see if you qualify. i think you need to earn under ?13000 for person with no kids (or kids that dont live with them) to get tax credits. i get them (first time in my life) i deliberately only work 32 hrs a week to get it. when i worked in national savings i was full time all my working life. never ever got a thing in benefits so im taking it while i can.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/start/who-qualifies/overview/quick-questionnaire.htm

SAILOR123
18th June, 2009, 12:41 PM
Humans are so clever now that because we've got machines to do everything we are all going to have to get use to doing a little less, we're be down to a 35hr week like europe before you know it which should free up a few jobs. also all this money ?125,000,000,000(thats alot) that the goverment has just made up electronically to spend on capital projects is going to take time to filter down to us lowly people to get a slice of it in way of jobs.

chroma
18th June, 2009, 03:34 PM
@ chroma phone tax credits if you are working part time and see if you qualify. i think you need to earn under ?13000 for person with no kids (or kids that dont live with them) to get tax credits. i get them (first time in my life) i deliberately only work 32 hrs a week to get it. when i worked in national savings i was full time all my working life. never ever got a thing in benefits so im taking it while i can.

HM Revenue & Customs: Check if you qualify for tax credits - quick questionnaire (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/start/who-qualifies/overview/quick-questionnaire.htm)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo.
I dont deal with the tax office EVER if i can absoloutly help it.
I got a stack of my money taxed by the greedy bastards for following the law... kinda... they even froze my accounts whilst i was investigated.

I was writing code and compiling it abroad, so the actual work was taking place outside of the UK so should not be subject to getting taxed rotten. Inland revenue didnt see things that way and promptly begun investigations.
I had to produce recipts everything dating as far back as the crucifiction of jesus... some crazy stuff, right down to the first car i ever owned (how many people still have that after owning a stack of clapped out bangers?) got interviewed repeatedly, it was frankly a complete nightmare.

I used a loophole to my advantage and wound up getting thoroughly shafted to the tune of 40% of my net earnings, wheelbarrows of money.
Lessons learned, tax office are sadists and NEVER do your own accounts.