PDA

View Full Version : MPs? ?1.90 meals

gmb45
17th June, 2009, 06:30 AM
MPs are enjoying meals for less than ?2 - subsidised by the taxpayer, it was revealed yesterday.

They can buy cut-price food and drink at 28 restaurants and bars in the Houses of Parliament. Recent menus, obtained using the Freedom of Information Act, show grub sold at a fraction of the cost charged elsewhere in London.
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/gmb45/albums/smilies/1173-beer.jpg
In good spirits ... cheap booze

At the Portcullis Cafeteria on Monday, April 6, roasted red pepper and tomato soup was just 60p, while pasta with mushroom garlic cream was ?1.90.

At the Terrace Cafeteria, lasagne cost ?1.90 while rump steak was ?3.80. Thirsty MPs could get a Bell's whisky or Bombay Sapphire gin for ?1.55 in The Pugin Room restaurant.

In 2007-08, the Commons Refreshment Department spent ?12.6million against an income of ?7.2million - a subsidy of ?5.4million.

The TaxPayers' Alliance said last night: "There is absolutely no reason why MPs shouldn't pay the going rate for their meals. They receive handsome salaries from taxpayers."

The restaurants and bars are also available to peers and other Parliamentary workers.

opsmonkey
18th June, 2009, 01:19 AM
~~~~ me thats expensive..

spirits are 70p a shot down the NAAFI and a pint of lager is ?1.40 lol

chroma
18th June, 2009, 02:06 AM

spirits are 70p a shot down the NAAFI and a pint of lager is ?1.40 lol

Your's of course comes with the prospect of getting shot at by Hadjis, waking up at the crack of dawn and loosing limbs to an IED.

The same cant really be said of Politicians.

gmb45
18th June, 2009, 04:55 AM

spirits are 70p a shot down the NAAFI and a pint of lager is ?1.40 lol yeh ops but your lads deserve it :D

roofer
19th June, 2009, 03:56 PM
our local mp claimed for a 40p potato.