PDA

View Full Version : TIME travel possible? (shown on BBC news)

BDNicholas
18th June, 2009, 06:41 PM
If you went back in time and met your teenage parents, you could not split them up and prevent your birth - even if you wanted to, a new quantum model has stated.Researchers speculate that time travel can occur within a kind of feedback loop where backwards movement is possible, but only in a way that is "complementary" to the present. Id personally love to try this https://rich-niche.info/cookie/campaign_id/b/happy.gifread the rest of the article here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4097258.stmLets start a discuss here :D

on_the_jazz
18th June, 2009, 07:06 PM
They seem to keep changing their minds. The consensus used to be that you could kill whoever you wanted but that it would split the timeline so there would be 2 branches at the change. Ie. you would succeed in killing whoever but that they would only be dead in a parallel universe.

forntida
18th June, 2009, 07:35 PM
You can see back in time if you can travel faster than the speed of light. Somebody surveying us from a different planet can only see us with a time lapse proportional to the speed of light and the distance from their planet to ours. Obviously you can't alter something that has already taken place. Just my thoughts on the subject.:D

ste6106
18th June, 2009, 09:06 PM
If we could travel back in time wouldnt we already know about it?

And for that matter has anyone seen back to the future 2 there is a flaw I need someone to confirm for me please.

on_the_jazz
18th June, 2009, 09:27 PM
If we could travel back in time wouldnt we already know about it?

And for that matter has anyone seen back to the future 2 there is a flaw I need someone to confirm for me please.

1) If they could travel back to now why would they let us know they were here?

2) Maybe you can only travel back to when you made the first time machine.

Back to the Future 2 was great!! Aaalright PUNK! Biff is the best.

ste6106
18th June, 2009, 09:48 PM
Now Jazz that has mashed me swede in point number 2 :D

Right can you tell me when Biff takes the Delorean back to 1955 why does the future not change around Marty and the Doc whent here in 2025 or what ever year it is. It only changes while they go back to 1985??

I feel better for typing that :D

chroma
18th June, 2009, 10:13 PM
Time is not a constant, it changes speeds depending on altitude (gravitational effect on the curvature of spacetime) and velocity (speed things are moving at)

GPS satalites for instance experience time faster than people down here on the surface.

Its not by a lot, a few picoseconds (0.000 000 000 001s) at most but it causes a noticable problem because a couple of picoseconds is actualy a fairly long time in computer cycles, bear in mind that 1GHz is 1,000,000,000 cycles a second (or a cycle every microsecond) and you get the point.
After a thousand cycles down here a satalite will have performed a few extra if the hardware exactly matches.

Add to this that a lot of satalites are not in a geostationary (geostationary means they travel at the same rate as the earth spins so appear stationary) orbit and actualy have a greater velocity which magnifies the effects, then theres athe effects of the moon, planatary and solar activity to consider, it also effects the time warping by altering the gravitational effects.

Its a nightmare from a programmers standpoint because you need to calculate distance and velocities, then combine that with solar, lunar and planetary orbital data in order to get correct timings to sync without errors.

The good news is that all those assholes living in penthouses on the top of skyscrapers will wind up dying before the guy sleeping in the basement.

gmb45
19th June, 2009, 03:37 AM
:hmmmm: must be possible they did it in star trek- the voyage home :D

mtv1
19th June, 2009, 04:04 AM
hi vip member

ekto
19th June, 2009, 09:39 PM
does nothing for skynet

firemouth
21st June, 2009, 02:21 AM
taking on the "star trek" theme. "I hate temporal Mechanics"!

As i see it, there are two ways it could work:
1, you can go back in time, or forwards, and effect the past or future. but any change in the past, would/ could* change the future. you might never exist! So, how do you go back, to change things, if you never existed? I'm fcuked if i know what happens if you change the future!

2, you can go back or forwards with impunity. by the mere fact you are travelling in time, it means you were supposed to. so anything you do, would/should, have happened.

OK so i lied, there are 3!
3, in any reality, at any time, any outcome. can and will happen. so for every decision you make. every single option, can and will occur. effectively every decision, however small. will cause its own time line to form. so, not only can you travel and change time. it will only effect the time line the journey caused. leaving the original, unchanged. except for your absence.
lol, the above is "temporal Theory". we will be discussing "Temporal Mechanics" next week. I really enjoyed it. i hope you did too, when we have it!