PDA

View Full Version : new ps3 owner

pete1
21st June, 2009, 05:06 PM
just got myself a ps3 i do like it but cannot understand why it has an 80gig hd i cannot install a game off disk to hd? what is the point of this hd other than installing music/movies:pcguru: also i have read lots about installing linux is it worth doing and if so can you tell me what you do with it thanks in advance, i will follow this with interest

M3RMy
22nd June, 2009, 12:43 AM
It all depends on the games, alot of the games you get no choice and u have to install them i.e GTA, metal gear solid, bad comapny etc. each games works out about 4 or 5 ghig on average so ur space will soon start to dissapear. The HDD also comes in handy for store purchase like the cod map packs etc and you can also purchase full games like socom and GT5 etc

pete1
22nd June, 2009, 11:55 AM
thanks for the info if i installed a 250gig hd is there some way of installing a disk straight to hd or pc to ps3 or even through linux, i want to use this as (everything) what ever it is capable of doing including as a games machine as at the moment i have a couple of games and the capabilities of the ps3 must be endless can you please explain what else you use this machine for other than games? all advice will be greatfull

pete1
22nd June, 2009, 05:57 PM
just set the media server from pc to ps3 but the wireless on the ps3 is causing the films to stutter:hmmmm2: works ok with music and photos though is it worth installing linux? what can i do next cummon it is more than a toy to play games, i want to use this to it's full potential, i have read that linux is installed for games and a notebook (is that it?):eek:

Raven
22nd June, 2009, 11:35 PM
Mate it's a PS3 games console, not a PC - despite the fact that it's a very robust piece of kit it is still not a full on PC terminal as it DOES have it's (purposeful) limitations! If you need a reason to justify your purchase and if you want to use your PS3 to it's full potential aswell as use the thing for it's main purpose then might I suggest to point you in the direction of a decent HDTV and point you in the direction more specifically to PS3 exclusive games that you won't find anywhere else that really promote the PS3 better than anything else and those are exclusive PS3 games such as Uncharted Drake's Fortune, Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots, Heavenly Sword, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet and Motorstorm 1 and 2. In those games are all the reason you will ever need to be happy with your PS3 - that and the fact that many more top quality exclusives are on the way, such as Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, and my personal most anticipated - Uncharted 2 Among Thieves. And I'm 100% positive I've missed quite a few quality exclusives from both lists! Oh and PS3 actually tends to perform better than Xbox Live online due to unrestricted pings and it's free service to boot it's just Xbox Live has the better comunity for competetiveness aswell as superior convenience but functionality wise PS3 is just as good if not better to actually play the games on as it's not as laggy and some games are crazy detailed and playing online lag free (Killzone2) and get this, there is a game coming out called MAG that's going to feature over 200 people split into groups all battling it out on 1 match! Brochure promo over lol :)

I also would like to know the advantages of having Linux on the PS3 so I can decide if it's worth doing....at the moment I cannot see how it's worth doing.

pete1
23rd June, 2009, 11:08 AM
by your reply it sound like one hell of a games machine, i do have a 1080 hd tv but as i said just a couple of games at the moment, i will take your advice and look into the recommended games by hiring them to see what type i will buy thanks for your advice :congrats::tee:my faves are driving:driver: and shoot-em at the moment

Raven
23rd June, 2009, 11:36 AM
Then I'd wholeheartedly consider Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, Toca Race Driver GRID if you haven't got a 360, Motorstorm 1 and 2 (called Pacific Rift) and of course Killzone 2, COD4, MGS4 and Uncharted. All excellent games most exclusive some not. And you are welcome :)

dik
23rd June, 2009, 03:55 PM
by your reply it sound like one hell of a games machine, i do have a 1080 hd tv but as i said just a couple of games at the moment, i will take your advice and look into the recommended games by hiring them to see what type i will buy thanks for your advice :congrats::tee:my faves are driving:driver: and shoot-em at the moment Get Burnout paradise the best driving game ever!!!!

milkdud
24th June, 2009, 12:14 AM
Dont go out splashing the cash on games mate, all the new games are coming out oct/nov, i would just buy cod w@w and make do with that until cod mw2 comes out and all the other new titles in a few months time.

Raven
24th June, 2009, 12:09 PM
Get Burnout paradise the best driving game ever!!!!

Lol I loved Burnout from 3 onwards up until this version they ruined it with Paradise...Paradise isn't even anywhere near the best Burnout ever let alone best racing game...

Dont go out splashing the cash on games mate, all the new games are coming out oct/nov, i would just buy cod w@w and make do with that until cod mw2 comes out and all the other new titles in a few months time.

But then he is missing out on a wide variety of excellent exclusive games in the mean time, the vast majority of which can be picked up pre owned at least for ?15 or less....also if you are going to pay for a Call of Duty game before the new one comes out it's got to be Modern Warfare hasn't it ?

pete1
24th June, 2009, 04:40 PM
just got gran turismo 5:congrats: awsome, had it on ps2 but this it is 100% better but maybe because im playing it through a good tv also but love it:eek: i am going to check out all the games you have advised and thank you all for the exellent advice:marchmellow:please keep up the good work

dik
25th June, 2009, 12:31 PM
Lol I loved Burnout from 3 onwards up until this version they ruined it with Paradise...Paradise isn't even anywhere near the best Burnout ever let alone best racing game... Myself I have played burnout paradise right through 3 times and thoroughly enjoyed it, and there is a new island just been added to the game adding much more fun game play. Online no other game compares, rent it first and see if you like it

Raven
29th June, 2009, 09:12 PM
More power to you if you enjoyed it mate, I personally felt they ruined a formula that worked however so....I suppose the main issue I have with Paradise is that they totally abandoned the typical Burnout "Arcade mode" style that made it famous. Major oversight in my opinion. And that's why I don't like Paradise because I don't have the option. For me Burnout is not Need For Speed no matter how much they try and shoehorn it in, and for me Burnout doesn't work at all in Need For Speed style - it still pisses me off to some extent that just because they ruined Need For Speed there's no need to ruin Burnout by making their other successful game more NFS like.

opsmonkey
30th June, 2009, 01:14 AM
if you can get hold of it Formula One Championship Edition is top notch too.. ;)