PDA

View Full Version : Labour pledges to curb welfare entitlements

gmb45
19th June, 2014, 05:22 AM
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/70947000/jpg/_70947380_hi019489498%281%29.jpg Labour leader Ed Miliband is set to say: "We must reshape our social security system"

Jobseeker's Allowance would be withheld under a Labour government from 18- to 21-year-olds unless they have completed education or training to AS-level or equivalent, Ed Miliband is to announce.

The opposition leader is to set out a range of welfare reforms in a speech at the IPPR think tank on Thursday.

Labour said the policies could be achieved without increasing the overall welfare bill.

But the Conservatives said they were a "recipe for more spending".

According to pre-released extracts of the speech, Mr Miliband will say: "We need big, far-reaching reform that can reshape our economy so that hard work is rewarded again, rebuild our society so that the next generation does better than the last, and change our country so that the British people feel it is run according to their values."

Labour said Mr Miliband would announce that some adult out-of-work benefits, including Jobseeker's Allowance, would be replaced with a "youth allowance" that would be means-tested on parental income and conditional on the young people being in training.

'Perversity of system'

"We must reshape our social security system so that it does everything it can to get people into decent jobs and the world of work, not a life on benefits," he is expected to say.

"And yet the perversity of the system means that the one thing we most discourage those young people from doing is getting the skills they need for a decent career.

"The system is telling them that they should sign on for benefits, not sign up for proper training. But at the same time, it is saying to those who go to university that they are entitled to financial support."

He is also expected to announce that the party would introduce a higher rate of Jobseeker's Allowance for those who have contributed more into the tax system.

"We will pay for it not by spending more money in social security system overall, but by extending the length of time people need to have worked to qualify," he will say.

But Conservative Party chairman Grant Shapps said: "This is just a recipe for more spending on welfare, more borrowing - and more taxes to pay for it.

"That's exactly how Labour got us into a mess in the first place.

"Ed Miliband has no economic plan. All he offers is more of the same old Labour, and Britain would have a less secure future as a result."

At the 2013 Conservative Party conference, PM David Cameron suggested benefits paid to people under the age of 25 could be cut in an effort to reduce long-term worklessness.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BBC News - Labour pledges to curb welfare entitlements (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27911518)

gmb45
19th June, 2014, 05:23 AM
way to go ed, and i thought the way to win an election was to get as many votes as poss :hmmmm:

"We must reshape our social security system so that it does everything it can to get people into decent jobs and the world of work"

and just where are all these "decent" jobs going to come from ?

Canker_Canison
23rd June, 2014, 02:59 PM
It's not just the lack of decent jobs, but the poor education system that gives up on the dim & lazy after the first year of secondary school.

Some people will never make it to university... who are we kidding... most won't see the inside of a college.

As for training. It's hard to train someone who's used to doing nothing and have the teacher do the work for them.

"Who can answer this?.... Anyone?.... How about you? No. Ok, what about you?.... No. Ok this is how you work it out..... Everyone got that.... (silence). This is the next question...."

It's a never ending story of people not being pushed to exceed by public ridicule. If you're thick, work harder at learning. There will be a way for you to spell your name correctly without help.

There's a family that live in the same road as 'she who must be pleasured'. The whole family is 'special'. One of the kids is called Lawrence, he's 12 years old... but still can't spell his name. But he can go into a shop.. buy a multitude of energy drinks & headbutt people.

gmb45
23rd June, 2014, 03:16 PM
when we was at school during your last year you could go on "work experience" where you went to different companies for a week or 2, some of them paid you like 3-4 ? a day some didnt pay you ( mainly the big companies that didnt ) i did 6 weeks in total at a garden centre ( got paid ) 2 weeks at boots where my dad worked ( not paid ) my point is this gets you out of school an into the work place for a taste of real life, maybe this should be made compulsary ?

rds60h
23rd June, 2014, 04:34 PM
when we was at school during your last year you could go on "work experience" where you went to different companies for a week or 2, some of them paid you like 3-4 ? a day some didnt pay you ( mainly the big companies that didnt ) i did 6 weeks in total at a garden centre ( got paid ) 2 weeks at boots where my dad worked ( not paid ) my point is this gets you out of school an into the work place for a taste of real life, maybe this should be made compulsary ?

As you say the "Big" Companies didn't pay, and unfortunately this type of scheme has been extended to include those out of work who are send on "job" training without pay from these "Big" Companies, in fact the Government pay the "Big" Companies for doing so !!
If there are "vacancies" for these "training schemes" then that means the work needs doing and so there should be a Job Vacancy not a money cow for corporations.
As you say GMB45 there were small companies who took on those youngsters and gave them a small wage, usually in the hope that they would attract those youngsters into full time employment with them. Unfortunately those days have long gone, with nearly all unskilled and semi skilled jobs being devalued by those prepared to take a job at a lower wage than anyone else because there are more applicants than vacancies.

Snowy79
24th June, 2014, 07:25 AM
The introduction of the minimum wage was the green light for companies to pay less. A lot had to rely on their morals to pay a set wage now they can quote the minimum wage as the reason they pay what they do. Don't get me wrong having a minimum wage of ?20 per hour wouldn't make any difference as prices would rise to wipe out any pay rise. A big problem I see is everyone complaining of the stress of work. Look at teachers, a lot moan about how hard it is yet they get more holidays than Santa Claus and a decent wage yet when I talk to a couple of my Ex Forces mates who are now teachers they say it's the easiest job they could imagine having. We're not talking guys who just turn up they are now heads of depts due to being so good. Maybe folk who find work stressful should be sacked and the jobs given to those who can do it. You'll still have the same amount of people employed but at least they can do the job.

Canker_Canison
24th June, 2014, 09:54 AM
@Snowy

It's the same attitude as the majority of public sector workers (I'm not including Police, Fire or NHS medical staff in this generalisation). Those that go straight into teaching are thinking about those holidays & just teaching from a book with no concept of how to deal with situations that can arise. People who have had a life before going into teaching are used to working for a living. The public sector is the same. It takes a minimum of 3 people to do the job of one private sector worker...badly.