PDA

View Full Version : British passports to be given to a record 220,000 migrants this year

gmb45
22nd June, 2009, 06:32 AM
British citizenship has rocketed almost 500 per cent under Labour (file photo)

The number of British passports given to migrants is set to hit a record 220,000 this year.

In the first three months of 2009, 54,615 citizenship applications were approved - up 57 per cent on the same period in 2008.

At that rate, the number receiving passports - and with them the right to full benefits - this year will smash the record of 164,540 set in 2007.

Last year the total was 129,310, and when Labour came to power in 1997, just 37,010 people were given citizenship.

It means approvals have rocketed by almost 500 per cent under the current Government.

Officials blame the massive increase on the fact that ministers are introducing a 'tough' new system of earned citizenship next year.

They say migrants are rushing to obtain their passports before they have to undergo an extra probationary period.

Under the new system, obtaining a passport will take six to eight years from a migrant's arrival in most cases, rather than the current five.

Critics said the rush shows just how lax the current system is.

They also point out that, by handing out so many passports, the Government is changing the make-up of Britain without any public debate.

Shadow home secretary Chris Grayling said: 'This is yet another example of the Government's incompetence in managing our immigration system.

'They openly admit they are introducing a new system and that everyone is rushing to get in before it. It just smacks of ministers having no idea what they are doing.'

Immigration minister Phil Woolas (left) said the new passports system for migrants will save taxpayers ?2billion, but his shadow counterpart, Chris Grayling, branded Labour incompetent at managing the flow of migrants

Grants of settlement, the stage before citizenship, were also up in the first three months of 2009, running at an annual rate of 190,000.

Sir Andrew Green, chairman of Migrationwatch UK, said: 'At this rate, grants of settlement will have trebled under Labour.

'We are on course for a massive increase in the population which nobody wants and on which nobody has been consulted.

'At this rate, grants of settlement will have trebled under Labour'

'No wonder people are so angry with the political class. It is not just fingers in the till, it is fingers in their ears when the public have a serious concern.'

The top five native countries of those gaining citizenship in the past two years have been India, Pakistan, Iraq, Somalia and Zimbabwe.

India and Pakistan are historic sources of migration, particularly via marriage to a British citizen. The large numbers of Iraqis, Somalis and Zimbabweans reflects the fact that asylum seekers who arrived at the start of this decade have now been in the UK long enough to receive citizenship.

The introduction of the earned citizenship scheme was recently delayed by nine months, to Decemember 2010.
what they claim.jpg

Immigration minister Phil Woolas claimed yesterday that it would save taxpayers up to ?2billion in benefit claims.

He said the new rules will deter some migrants from travelling to the UK or staying long enough to obtain citizenship and benefits.

Until a passport application has been approved, migrants do not have access to child benefit, council and housing tax benefits and income support.

Mr Woolas insisted: 'The pull factor of coming to the UK is to be taken away.'

The Home Office said last night: 'The increase in settlement grants reflects the success of UK Border Agency staff in clearing outstanding applications. It also reflects the Home Office's decision to tighten up the criteria for settlement.

'In 2006 we raised the qualifying period for settlement from four to five years, which meant that migrant workers who wanted to stay permanently had to wait an extra year.

'We have also set out our plans for earned citizenship which demand that people earn the right to stay.

'We are now looking at raising the bar further by applying a points-based system to the path to citizenship and we will consult on this in the summer.'

lfc4life
22nd June, 2009, 07:19 AM
its not immigration its colonization !!!! :(

firemouth
22nd June, 2009, 01:23 PM

and this is xenophobia! lol i would wager, mine is the more accurate comment.

Lainie
22nd June, 2009, 01:51 PM
christ we will soon be a minority in our own country. to make matters worse they can claim benefits without speaking english. then the interpreters cost a fortune. i once had a man on the phone claiming benefit. he had been in the uk nearly 30 yrs and couldnt speak english!!! - astonishing.

firemouth
23rd June, 2009, 11:11 AM
christ we will soon be a minority in our own country. to make matters worse they can claim benefits without speaking english. then the interpreters cost a fortune. i once had a man on the phone claiming benefit. he had been in the uk nearly 30 yrs and couldnt speak english!!! - astonishing.

but, he had paid his tax. why should his rights be less worthy than yours? or is it just coz he is a different colour?

on_the_jazz
23rd June, 2009, 01:17 PM

christ we will soon be a minority in our own country.

I'm not sure why anyone believes this. Even with immigration the way it is now whites still make up the majority by far (over 90%). The other ~10% are ethnic minorities and mixed race. If you took away mixed race, the ethnic minorities alone would be like ~8% (and the majority of those are people born in this country).

Lainie
23rd June, 2009, 01:56 PM
absolutely nothing to do with colour of skin for me. if people claim benefit and want to work here they should speak the language.

MetalKettle
23rd June, 2009, 02:01 PM
absolutely nothing to do with colour of skin for me. if people claim benefit and want to work here they should speak the language.

The thing that gets my goat is....

The UK is seen as an easy target for anyone. You can move in have free health care, claim benefits etc. We should be tightening up immigration. Try and move to the US and see what happens!

radioham
23rd June, 2009, 09:51 PM
While the country is run by a criminal gang with their fingers in the till,and people remain complacent,nothing will change.And remember most of these incomers will vote for Labour!!!!!Cheers Chas.

lfc4life
24th June, 2009, 09:05 AM
well laine is right we have so many different people in the uk now! Is it so hard for them too learn our language and its not hard ffs! we are as ignorant as there are. imo

on_the_jazz
24th June, 2009, 03:21 PM
well laine is right we have so many different people in the uk now! Is it so hard for them too learn our language and its not hard ffs! we are as ignorant as there are. imo

So it seems.

firemouth
26th June, 2009, 02:41 PM
odd is it not, that the British, should complain about people, not learning the language? of all the nationalities, in the world. the British are the worst for, ignorantly, moving to countries, and refusing to speak the "native, tongue. you find enclaves in, virtually, every country, where the British move in and build a "Little Britain". yet they complain when other nationalities, do the same in the UK. Talk about double standards! I, personally, agree with people needing to learn our language, before entry. but to suggest they are in some way "ignorant" for not doing so. is laughable. baring in mind the actions of British Expats.

lfc4life
26th June, 2009, 02:45 PM
theres enough leeches in uk within the british ! without needing the forigeners too ! and the uk deserves everything it gets :(

Lainie
26th June, 2009, 08:52 PM
odd is it not, that the British, should complain about people, not learning the language? of all the nationalities, in the world. the British are the worst for, ignorantly, moving to countries, and refusing to speak the "native, tongue. you find enclaves in, virtually, every country, where the British move in and build a "Little Britain". yet they complain when other nationalities, do the same in the UK. Talk about double standards! I, personally, agree with people needing to learn our language, before entry. but to suggest they are in some way "ignorant" for not doing so. is laughable. baring in mind the actions of British Expats.

do these countries that these brits go to pay benefits and get accommodation and furnish it for them etc. you have think why all these people come to britain in the first place - its cause we are far too lenient.

lfc4life
26th June, 2009, 08:53 PM
do these countries that these brits go to pay benefits and get accommodation and furnish it for them etc. you have think why all these people come to britain in the first place - its cause we are far too lenient.

ITS CAUSE we are all working class mugs! Who pay for benefit scroungers were ever there come from :flute::reddy::flute:

firemouth
29th June, 2009, 12:28 PM

cant see what benefits have to do with people not talking the lingo.
its cause we are far too lenient the words of the ignorant. Yawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another British trick, blame everybody else.
has it ever occurred to you, the problems this country faces, are of our making? British industry is screaming for these people, why? because they are too interested in the well-being of their share holders. so they refuse to pay money that, most need to live. result? 100's of thousands of "migrant workers". brought here not by a wish for our, benefits. but by the pathetic excuses we, now, have for temp agencies. to fuel their greed for dividends.

chroma
29th June, 2009, 04:05 PM
cant see what benefits have to do with people not talking the lingo. the words of the ignorant. Yawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another British trick, blame everybody else.
has it ever occurred to you, the problems this country faces, are of our making? British industry is screaming for these people, why? because they are too interested in the well-being of their share holders. so they refuse to pay money that, most need to live. result? 100's of thousands of "migrant workers". brought here not by a wish for our, benefits. but by the pathetic excuses we, now, have for temp agencies. to fuel their greed for dividends.

:eek:
i think this is the first post you've made that i completely agree with.

However its far easier to point out problems than to pose soloutions, what is it that you propose we do about it?

gmb45
29th June, 2009, 04:09 PM
:eek:
i think this is the first post you've made that i completely agree with.

However its far easier to point out problems than to pose soloutions, what is it that you propose we do about it?
stop immigration before people get that pi55ed off with it that trouble starts

maca
29th June, 2009, 04:11 PM
stop immigration before people get that pi55ed off with it that trouble startsthink thats already happening gmb m8.

gmb45
29th June, 2009, 04:13 PM
think thats already happening gmb m8. i KNOW it is m8