PDA

View Full Version : vag ecu flash counter

josecuervo
24th June, 2014, 01:22 PM
i am looking for a bit of info if any one can help
i am looking to bypass the flash counter on ecu like med9.1 edc16 and med17 edc17
if i flash ecu with bdm will it still pick up the the ecu has been reflashed on the counter ?

bursuc
24th June, 2014, 04:33 PM
With BDM as far as i know it will not pick up on the counter . i thing only on OBD the counter picks up .

morgano
24th June, 2014, 05:31 PM
True, bdm programming doesn't increment counter.

Regards,

k0mpresd
24th June, 2014, 06:23 PM
bdm or bootflash does not increase counter. only obd flashing. counter is stored in e2p. make backup of original e2p and you can reset counter to ori value anytime you like. :)

josecuervo
25th June, 2014, 06:56 AM
thanks guys will go back and compare files of the e2p before and after i program the ecu with the obd port and maybe can work out how it stores the values and return it back to 0 after the flash might help some other DK peeps in the future

bondiblu
25th June, 2014, 08:17 AM
Quite a few values will change, not just the flash counter. I've done the same and worked out the flash counter on VAG EDC16

wiseman
25th June, 2014, 03:33 PM
Tools exist to reset the counter obd eg powergate, fgtech

daniel guerra
25th June, 2014, 03:59 PM
I've tried fgtech v51 to reset and did not work for me, kess china worked, but only worked on edc16u31, edc16u34 did not worked. And it takes ages to download and upload the file. The best in my opinion, it's to change on e2p

ballaownz
17th July, 2020, 02:12 PM
guys, sorry for bringing this topic alive again but Im facing some problems with VW dealers (warranty).

they are looking for flash counter and canceling cars warranties. is there a way to solve that writing via OBD ? (using CMD flash)

most MED17 and Simos ECUs.

bazaa
17th July, 2020, 04:57 PM
I believe kess can reset flash counters but not sure which models & also cmd

ballaownz
17th July, 2020, 06:59 PM
I believe kess can reset flash counters but not sure which models & also cmd

CMD can on VAG EDC17 only I guess

bazaa
17th July, 2020, 09:09 PM
it is best to email the companies to see if the ecu's you want doing are support flash counter reset .Then find a local tuner who has kess/cmd ect to reset for you.

like people have already said counters don't advance when bench flashed only over obd ,so most choose this route or can use there original e2p file and write it back if they need to.

you country probably check the calibration ID or Calibration Verification Number of the ecu also to confirm authenticity of the software .

ballaownz
17th July, 2020, 09:25 PM
it is best to email the companies to see if the ecu's you want doing are support flash counter reset .Then find a local tuner who has kess/cmd ect to reset for you.

like people have already said counters don't advance when bench flashed only over obd ,so most choose this route or can use there original e2p file and write it back if they need to.

you country probably check the calibration ID or Calibration Verification Number of the ecu also to confirm authenticity of the software .

I have CMD, I will try to talk with Anton. But as I remember VAG COUNTER reset only on EDC17. I dunno what they are checking, if just counter or CVN...

bazaa
17th July, 2020, 10:22 PM
flash counters can go up when a dealer flashes your ecu so i would say they are more likely to check if the CVN doesnt match as theyre looking for a non oem file ,this can be corrected ask Anton his advice on this !

Meat-Head
17th July, 2020, 10:35 PM
guys, sorry for bringing this topic alive again but Im facing some problems with VW dealers (warranty). .

Can you flash standard map back and deny everything?

when you say warranty issues to do with drivetrain or otherwise?

ballaownz
19th July, 2020, 10:54 PM
Can you flash standard map back and deny everything?

when you say warranty issues to do with drivetrain or otherwise?

yes, even with stock file flashed back, the dealer can do 2 things: check flash counter or CVN like bazaa said.

the car doesnt have any problem, the VW dealers are checking software from every car that comes for maintenance and cancelling warranty if they verify anything wrong .

Meat-Head
19th July, 2020, 11:50 PM
the car doesnt have any problem, the VW dealers are checking software from every car that comes for maintenance and cancelling warranty if they verify anything wrong .

Whoa whoa hang on, check with a lawyer in your country, but here in Ingland
”you brought it, its yours”

for example your new computer hdd fails, you keep the broken hdd and they give you a new one as less than 12 months old. (In Emerica 90 days standard i think)