PDA

View Full Version : ECU backup or F--- up Realy need to understand.

WOODWARD395
24th June, 2014, 10:20 PM
:blue: Ok lets say I copy my original ECU file and save it ,Do a copy and ask someone to remap the copy for me.

I then write that file to the ECU and lets say for some reason the download stops E.G your computer runs out of power,

Does this mean you have just bricked your ECU or can you not just re-flash with your original file or does it not work like that, I would love someone to explain I am used to flashing chips on satellite boxes e.c.t surely as long as you have a backup you can recover.:withstupid::withstupid:

bondiblu
24th June, 2014, 10:42 PM
If you've got a full read, (in your case using BDM) you can normally recover from a failed write, but it depends on which ECU you are referring to,and also at what point/how the process failed. An OBD read is often not enough on its own. And on some newer ECUs then you've got big expensive problems.

smokey08
24th June, 2014, 10:48 PM
Which ecu specifically are you taking about?

There are many was to recover a bad flash. Bootmode, BDM and desoldering the chip and writing it with an external programmer.

bondiblu
24th June, 2014, 10:48 PM
I'm in Cheshire, so if you get your self into any trouble, contact me, maybe I can assist

bondiblu
24th June, 2014, 10:52 PM
Which ecu specifically are you taking about?

There are many was to recover a bad flash. Bootmode, BDM and desoldering the chip and writing it with an external programmer.

In another thread he's talking about VAG EDC16, so BDM in that case.

WOODWARD395
24th June, 2014, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the reply keeping you busy tonight just trying to get my head around it.

The BDM what does it do more than a normal read going to do a lot of reading tonight but its always nice to get it in idiot terms I mean me the idiot so I can get the basics before I get totally confused by what I read thanks.

bondiblu
24th June, 2014, 10:57 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDM read this then ;)

Allows you to do a full read and backup your EEPROM too, like BDM Pro, KTAG, galletto etc

Some tools will only do a partial read but also depends on the tool

WOODWARD395
24th June, 2014, 11:01 PM
I'm in Cheshire, so if you get your self into any trouble, contact me, maybe I can assist
thanks will do believe it or not I spent 12yrs as a mechanic in the forces, when they used steam LOL.

Never had ECU'S in my day just introduced fuel injection. when I left for a desk job.

bondiblu
24th June, 2014, 11:04 PM
thanks will do believe it or not I spent 12yrs as a mechanic in the forces, when they used steam LOL.

Never had ECU'S in my day just introduced fuel injection. when I left for a desk job.

You've got a lot of learning to do then lol.

Reading and flashing the ECU is normally the easier part, the harder part is correctly modifying the software to achieve the desired results. I've been doing this for years and spent ?1000's and I'm still always learning.

WOODWARD395
24th June, 2014, 11:09 PM
BDM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDM) read this then ;)

Allows you to do a full read and backup your EEPROM too, like BDM Pro, KTAG, galletto etc

Some tools will only do a partial read but also depends on the tool Think a revisit to college is in order know the engineering side but ECU'S a different story can understand how they can be bricked.

Thought I was quite clever until I met this ECU Thanks for your help.

bondiblu
24th June, 2014, 11:14 PM
You want some good tools to flash the ECU and recover from failure if needed, and you need to be able to do data logging/fault code reading to see what the engine is doing after modifying the software.

There is a lot of helpful people and a LOT of info out there, you just need to be prepared to invest the TIME and money to do the job properly. It's certainly doable though, so good luck :)

WOODWARD395
24th June, 2014, 11:31 PM
defiantly will be getting more expensive reader writer dab later once I understand exactly what I need as had a look and the prices range from ?50 for Chinese type clone or ?1900+ confusing.