PDA

View Full Version : file and media sharing

HDaddict
28th June, 2014, 08:10 AM
Hello everyone.

I just bought a a VU SOLO2, and I'm learning its features and great capabilities.
I have a SAMSUNG SMART TV F6400.
both TV and SOLO2 are connected to a network using a TP LINK W4300 wireless router which can be connected to a external HD using a USB connection.

What I'm trying to setup is a way to share and access media files (especially HD video files) on my SAMSUNG TV, and also any other device connected to the network. (windows laptop, android phones, iOS devices etc...).
I don't have a PC always turned on to create a media server.

I know that both the SOLO2 and the router TP LINK W4300 can be set as DLNA servers. But I read bad experiences accessing video files using these 2 devices from the SAMSUNG Smart tvs.

What do you recommend? Is there a way to let the SOLO2 act a media server, using an internal HD or an external HD through USB, and allow all devices access these files??

Thanks in advance !

Bann32
29th June, 2014, 06:29 PM
So you want to share the media on your Solo2 with your PC and Samsung SmartTV?

If you want to use a DLNA Server, then you will need to install either MediaTomb or MinaDLNA for your Solo2.

You can also share the Drives with the media on via CIFS and for Android devices there is a VU+ Player app in Google Store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vuplus.vuplusplayer&hl=en_GB

I don't have a solo2, so can't offer you any further help with this and why would you want to share with your tv, I would assume your Solo2 is plugged into your TV?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

TIP: Google is your friend, that's were I found this answer for you, all credit goes to the original author.

cactikid
29th June, 2014, 07:39 PM
not sure if it helps but my solo2 has internal hdd and also my duo,both boxes have samba enabled with vix image and other single tuner boxes also have samba enabled.2tb nas drive connected to router but that was installed via desktop.
any box i use can access files on solo2 or duo i have recorded to and can even move files from box to box or to nas drive.
i can use the remote from vu to go straight to my files no plugin needed and select what to play and where from.

happy_highlander
29th June, 2014, 08:40 PM
Similar setup here with solo recording to nas using homeplugs but only sd as hd is just to much bandwidth. Solo can also play files from nas, internal hdd on uno and quad plus with uno and quad plus also being able to play from each others hdd and nas. As said above just set up samba shares of on vix. Most other images have samba set up by default. You can set up network shares manually as well which is easier if you have network devices on fixed ip

Just remembered that you will not likely be able to play files recorded on receiver directly on smart tv as they normally can't read the raw format the boxes record in