PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Audi A3 2.0 TDI engine shakes during starting

Poptest
13th July, 2014, 01:14 PM
Hello DK, I'm working on an Audi which shakes hard during starting, and sometimes needs 3 attempts before engine starts.
There are no fault codes, and car runs pefectly, power is good. I've replaced fuel and air filter.

Some people say this problem could be related to the dual mass flywheel.

Please share your experience.

Thank you....

Meat-Head
13th July, 2014, 07:30 PM
Rumor states flywheel.

if open space, try starting in gear, see if makes differs ce.

does engine shake when you rev it

Poptest
14th July, 2014, 01:18 PM
I have to make some corrections. Audi is 2006 with automatic transmission.

engine does not shake when I rev it up.

it shakes only during start.

thank you

geoboynwo
22nd July, 2014, 01:30 AM
sounds stupid, checked all engine mounts up and under? dmf is noisey when on its way out or the car wont start. do u get any vibrations through the car when driving?

martij976
22nd July, 2014, 02:57 AM
I would first check mounts too. On the flat floor put gear into park and release the hand brake.
Open the hood and try push and pull car back and forward.
If mounts are gone, u'll see engine bouncing bad and even hear "thud" sound going out off the mounts.

audivwauto
22nd July, 2014, 07:25 PM
change the duel mass flywheel

Poptest
27th July, 2014, 01:16 AM
Thank you for the tips. This car has two problems: 3-4 starts when parked overnight and shake while starting. Will replacing the dual mass flywheel improve starting?

thanks again

martij976
27th July, 2014, 02:05 AM
Thank you for the tips. This car has two problems: 3-4 starts when parked overnight and shake while starting. Will replacing the dual mass flywheel improve starting?

thanks again

I think if your convertor is this type: pic
Starter turning base of a wheel bolted to the crank shaft.
Try disconnect secondary disc mounted to the tranny?(if poss. never seen that car;))
Try start the car.
-Maybe before unbolting anything remove spark plugs and try to crank.
-Can tell a lot!

autoden
27th July, 2014, 11:42 AM
No spark plugs in a tdi,,, but it does have glow plus. If 2 or 3 of these have gone down and its only firing on one cylinder trying to start, then it will shake rattle n roll.
autoden

smirnoff_rules
27th July, 2014, 12:05 PM
if these turn over to slow ie low battery or poor starter they judder and start and cut out , needs to be fast to pump fuel , try with a battery pack on

Poptest
29th July, 2014, 12:22 PM
if these turn over to slow ie low battery or poor starter they judder and start and cut out , needs to be fast to pump fuel , try with a battery pack on

Cranking rpm is very good.

Poptest
29th July, 2014, 12:33 PM
No spark plugs in a tdi,,, but it does have glow plus. If 2 or 3 of these have gone down and its only firing on one cylinder trying to start, then it will shake rattle n roll.
autoden

Thank you for the tip autoden. Glowplug failure makes sense. I will check this........but I did not see any glowplug fault. This is why I never considered the plugs.

super jumbe
29th July, 2014, 01:27 PM
Thank you for the tips. Will replacing the dual mass flywheel improve starting?

Never sean Audi i2006 with automatic transmission and duel mass flywheel !! http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/roflmao.gif

smokey08
29th July, 2014, 08:34 PM
Never sean Audi i2006 with automatic transmission and duel mass flywheel !! :roflmao:

Pretty sure cars fitted with a dog shit gearbox (DSG) have them. CVT gearboxes do not.

Post the engine code and gearbox code (both on white label under carpet in the boot)

Pardul
5th August, 2014, 06:14 AM
cvt=multitronic have dual mass
poptest check starter
regards