PDA

View Full Version : Cookery Thread

Jaffa
14th June, 2008, 11:15 PM
This is a recipe from Aftermath which I think you really should try as it is delicious, I made another pot of it today so I can have for Sunday lunch but couldnt resist having a bowl of it just now.

As you all know he is a mod here and really should have posted this himself....lol (joke Steve m8) Its not hard to make and you really should try it.

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
knob of butter
1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
a few thyme leaves
a few rosemary stalks
1 tbsp honey
salt and freshly ground black pepper
55ml/2fl oz double cream
splash of hot chicken stock
For the croutons
1-2 tbsp olive oil
2-3 slices of bread, cubed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
few rosemary stalks, chopped

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
2. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large ovenproof non-stick frying pan and saut? the parsnip for a few minutes.
3. Add the garlic, thyme, rosemary, honey and seasoning and continue to heat for a further 5-6 minutes.
4. Transfer to the oven and roast for 10-15 minutes.
5. To make the croutons, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the bread with the seasoning and
rosemary for a few minutes on each side until crisp and golden.
6. Remove the parsnips from the oven and place in a food processor with the cream. Blend until smooth,
adding a splash of stock to thin.
7. Return the soup to a pan and warm through. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the croutons.

Devilfish
15th June, 2008, 12:13 AM
Do you think we should have a section for recipes or is that a bit wifey?

Dreamer
15th June, 2008, 08:00 AM
As you know most of the best cooks in the world are male.

I know that some of the recipies on recipie sites are basically a waste of time. People have posted without testing and have missed out instructions or forgotten ingredients or even just made something up.

Might be nice to have a few recipies that have been tried, tested and approved/rated.

A lot of folkcan't even boil an egg and live off ready meals. Maybe they would be tempted to try making something if it had been rated as easy to make and tasty.
:eating:

Jaffa
15th June, 2008, 09:19 AM
Might be nice to have a few recipies that have been tried, tested and approved/rated.

I have tried a few of Aftermaths recipes and even though they probably don't turn out the way he would make them, they are very tasty.

Not sure if we should have a section about food but a thread dedicated to recipes may work well. I had never even heard of Lamb Kleftiko but I used an aftermaths recipe and it was great.

aftermath
15th June, 2008, 09:56 AM
Many thanks for the compliments Jim.

i have been thinking of doing something like this for a while now, its just getting my head round it, i might grab my original ones off you know where and start from there,

Let me have a few days to think of the best way to do it, and see what peeps think or want.

good idea though guys.

berley
15th June, 2008, 10:58 AM

your stuck in the last millenium DF :p there's nowt 'wifey' about cooking

on the whole i find men better cooks than woman - which suits me fine :dancing:

Devilfish
15th June, 2008, 11:12 AM
maybe wifey was the wrong word to use lol. i do most of the cooking in our house, i am very much the modern man. and i would benefit loads from the recipes as i'm not very imaginative in the kitchen. i was meaning that it would be out of context with the main genre of the forum. but I'm willing to give it a shot, if theres enough interest, theres a very nice custom made addon that i can buy for the forum, yous would really like it. but if its just going to be a 'flash in the pan' idea then i have my reservations.

Jaffa
15th June, 2008, 12:09 PM
maybe wifey was the wrong word to use lol. i do most of the cooking in our house, i am very much the modern man. and i would benefit loads from the recipes as i'm not very imaginative in the kitchen. i was meaning that it would be out of context with the main genre of the forum. but I'm willing to give it a shot, if theres enough interest, theres a very nice custom made addon that i can buy for the forum, yous would really like it. but if its just going to be a 'flash in the pan' idea then i have my reservations.

Is there anywhere we can see this add on ???

Dreamer
15th June, 2008, 12:27 PM
I have tried a few of Aftermaths recipes and even though they probably don't turn out the way he would make them, they are very tasty.

Not sure if we should have a section about food but a thread dedicated to recipes may work well. I had never even heard of Lamb Kleftiko but I used an aftermaths recipe and it was great.

That lamb recipe sounds interesting. Do you think you could post it Aftermath?:eating:

Jaffa
15th June, 2008, 04:16 PM
That lamb recipe sounds interesting. Do you think you could post it Aftermath?:eating:

Here it is: Remember it is Aftermaths recipe not mine.

Lamb Kleftiko

what you need for this is.

4 lamb steaks
1 large onion, chopped
4 big tomatoes, sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 bay leaves
1 tbsp fresh rosemary
1 tbsp fresh oregano
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp tomato puree
Salt and black pepper
8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in half
1 Pint of lamb stock

1. Place steaks in a large baking tray then cover with all the other ingredients evenly.

2. Pour over the stock to almost cover all the ingredients.

3. cover the tray with tin foil and bake in the oven at 180 degrees for one and a
half to two hours until the meat is completely tender.

4. Serve with fresh vegetables or a Greek salad

btw...I cheated, I didnt use fresh oregano even though he said to....lol (I didnt have any)

C64
15th June, 2008, 06:47 PM
WTF is all this about?

Is Steve a cook?

I'm going to try that soup recipe, sounds delicious :)

Jaffa
15th June, 2008, 07:38 PM
WTF is all this about?

Is Steve a cook?

I'm going to try that soup recipe, sounds delicious :)

Yeah witchy he was a chef or something wifey like that....lol

The parsnip soup is delicious.

aftermath
16th June, 2008, 07:30 AM
Guys i was never a chef or cook., I come from a family of good cooks, my mother worked in the food industry, my grandmother was a great cook, and my brother is a baker/confectioner and makes some fantastic food.

I guess its in my blood.

It started a few years ago, i had invited all our family to my house for a good feed and drink, i was approached by one of the guests, and asked if i wanted to go into partnership in a catering business, he was that impressed with my cooking. But i declined as i was worried about all the health and safety stuff that is needed when running a food business.

So i just enjoy cooking at home , and enjoy it when i find a good dish out and invite peeps for a meal.

I think in general people want to eat more healthy , and there is no better way than to do your own cooking, because you can in most cases substitute certain ingredients with more healthy things.

I will keep an eye on this thread and hopefully if there is enough interest, i will certainly enjoy posting some new stuff.

bobble
18th June, 2008, 06:06 PM
it sounds very nice mmmmmmmmm

Dreamer
23rd June, 2008, 07:18 PM
lamb klefiko mmm My compliments to the chef.

Made it tonight and it was great. Easy to make and tasty.

I did cheat a bit and use dried herbs but it still tasted fab.
Thanks aftermath for the recipe and thanks to Jaffa for posting it..

What's next?

stew1954
24th June, 2008, 07:11 AM
would'nt mind some of the recipes as the "wifey's" a crap cook. I keep saying she can only get better but after 29 years I give up. I never married her for the cooking (lol) :dancing:

aftermath
24th June, 2008, 07:50 AM
I have posted these recipes , on another forum, so i thought it was a good idea to post the same ones on here as they were among my favourite foods ive done.

1. Good old English fish and chips. ( just like from a fish and chip shop )
2. Chicken Ku Bo ( chinese dish ) fantastic.
3. Chicken Casserole.
4. Chilli Con Carni ( the more hot chillies you add the better ) thats if you like it hot.
5. Lamb Kleftiko
6. Greek Salad ( fantastic )
7. Sweet and sour pork or chicken ( my wife thinks this is better than any other sweet and sour she has had ).
8. Chinese fried rice ( try it without the prawns , its just as nice. )
9. Corned beef stew. ( why not experiment with this by adding different herbs, veg e.t.c )
10. Chicken and choritzo paella
11. Fish Pie
12. Chinese Stick Pork Chops and stir fried vegetables.
13. Piri Piri Chicken ( probably the pick of the lot this, i love it )
14. The best roast potatoes.
15. kerry Casserole ( never done this for ages , must have it again soon, its delicious.
16, sunday roast pork ( possibly the best dish i make ), everyone likes it.

gizmo.1484
24th June, 2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the recipes aftermath tried the piri piri chicken superb also loved the chilli con carni should have gone easy on the chillys felt it next morning.
I think i will try the sunday roast and roast potato's this weekend.
Do you have any recipes for good deserts as you need one after a good meal.

aftermath
27th June, 2008, 04:54 PM
come across some ebooks for certain recipes, thought i would share them .

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff308/aftermath_0377/thecurrysecret.jpg

aftermath
27th June, 2008, 05:08 PM
Fast Meals

aftermath
27th June, 2008, 05:14 PM
A usefull eBook on herbs here...

aftermath
3rd July, 2008, 09:15 AM
Chinese Cooking eBook.

Might try a few of these myself .

i like Kung Po.

aftermath
5th July, 2008, 04:10 PM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff308/aftermath_0377/soup.jpg

aftermath
5th July, 2008, 04:18 PM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff308/aftermath_0377/NakedChef2.jpg

aftermath
5th July, 2008, 04:27 PM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff308/aftermath_0377/ChickenRecipes.jpg

aftermath
5th July, 2008, 04:43 PM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff308/aftermath_0377/11000Recipes.jpg

aftermath
5th July, 2008, 04:59 PM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff308/aftermath_0377/JapaneseCooking.jpg

Dont think i will atemp Japanese Cooking, takes years to get it right.

But you never know, someone out their might want to give it a try.

Maybe Janobi will shed some light on this..?

aftermath
5th July, 2008, 06:25 PM
A few different ways how to make your Eggs..

aftermath
11th July, 2008, 07:31 AM
Not one for making Pizzas myself, but come across this, maybe useful for someone.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff308/aftermath_0377/PizzaRecipes.jpg

Devilfish
29th July, 2008, 12:06 AM
Wow...I've just noticed these m8, will defo with some of them a go. :)

Thanks

alarmeng
30th July, 2008, 10:12 AM
Make a nice bit of bedtime reading .

Cheers

Gaz

aftermath
30th July, 2008, 11:42 AM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm128/lynette_toh/kidsbk.gif

aftermath
30th July, 2008, 11:50 AM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff308/aftermath_0377/sandwiches.jpg

Devilfish
30th July, 2008, 03:17 PM
I've bought a recipe mod for the forum, hold off uploading stuff for now and you can put it in the new mod. :)

Hopefully get it running for tonight! :)

aftermath
30th July, 2008, 03:39 PM
So peeps will be having a late meal tonight, lol

Dreamer
31st July, 2008, 11:54 AM
mmmm yummy. :eating:
I can't wait!

gizmo.1484
3rd August, 2008, 07:50 PM
Anybody out there got any good desert recipes? Somebody out there must have a sweet tooth...
There are a lot of good recipes on this site just no desert recipes or as anybody got any good cocktail recipes you know for them crazy parties.

Devilfish
5th August, 2008, 05:47 PM
Found this on my travels... ;)

jacks mate
20th September, 2008, 12:26 AM
some great recepies are you all fat guys

harry1986
23rd October, 2008, 05:56 PM
Chocolate suprise Sundae
How to make a Chocolate suprise Sundae:

Quantity
Ingredients
3 scoops Cornish Ice cream
100ml Extra thick cream
2 Mars bars
3/4 single biscuit Mcvities Hobnobs
15g (0.5oz) Unsalted butter
1 dessert spoon Golden syrup

Method
Take half of one of the mars bars and place in the freezer several hours before cooking.Crumble the digestive biscuits into a pan with the butter and syrup, warm through until all the butter is melted.once melted pour into the bottom of a sundae glass or desired bowl and place in the fridge for 25 minutes until set.Melt the remaining mars bars over steam in a glass bowl.Once all mars have melted add the cream and gently stir through.Pour over sundae.Take the mars from the freezer and cut into small 5mm cubes. If the mars is to hard to cut place in a freezer bag or T-cloth and beat into pieces. Finally sprinkle over.

This simple dessert is a explosion of textures temperatures and tastes.:cheer:

aftermath
23rd October, 2008, 06:03 PM
I think i might give that a try tomorrow harry sounds nice.
I am always looking for deserts, as i am not normally keen on them, but when guests come for lunch i have to put on a show lol

harry1986
23rd October, 2008, 07:48 PM
try it aftermath you wont be disapointed and your guests would be very impressed and it tastes the best :)

scottsomers7
30th October, 2008, 08:58 PM
Made that yesterday thanks:)

delboy trotter
3rd December, 2008, 12:00 AM

It's a good idea, I have a recipe for indian curry that requires no measurements of spices or ingredients, you just keep addin' to it and the more you leave it the better it gets. Will pass on what i use and do when I make my next one, very soon and trust me it never fails. :star:

Amonhotep
9th December, 2008, 08:04 PM
A recipe section would be great. I used to cook about 85% of the time, but now that I've brought the wifey :) back to Europe she is doing the majority of the cooking. I can do my part by contributing to her process by introducing tried and true recipes for us to cook. If i get a vote then I vote for a recipe section.

Hazza
11th December, 2008, 06:59 PM
I am more than a little impressed with these, so much so that I might surprise the wife one day and actually have a go at cooking something up instead of burning everything. Most of these sound easy enough even for me.
I just love this site, something for everyone here.
Harry

loobylou
27th December, 2008, 09:09 AM
i think a recipe section would be a great idea loads of folks are always looking for inspiration especially those on the go who can only manage the microwave meal etc...

m_neagra
13th February, 2009, 09:53 PM
Anybody out there got any good desert recipes? Somebody out there must have a sweet tooth...
There are a lot of good recipes on this site just no desert recipes or as anybody got any good cocktail recipes you know for them crazy parties.

enjoy!:wink:

Amonhotep
21st February, 2009, 10:13 AM
This is a recipe that I make based on my experience eating burritos. I can't vouch for authenticity because I am not Hispanic. I can say that they are quite tasty.

Ingredients
500g Mince (Ground Beef)
1 can Refried Beans (pinto beans can be substituted)
1 package flour tortillas
2 Tbsp Tomato Sauce
2 Tbsp Chili powder
1.5 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Ground Oregano
.5 tsp Garlic powder
.5 tsp Onion powder
.5 tsp Salt
.5 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
.5 Tbsp flour
1-1.5 cups of water (more water thinner mixture)

Mix all dry ingredients in small bowl. Brown mince in pan. Drain excess fat. Over medium heat, Add tomato sauce and water to mince, mix well. Increase heat to high then add dry ingredients, mix well. Reduce heat to medium once mixture starts to thicken (if mixture is to thick add more water to thin). Add refried beans to mixture. Reduce heat to low, let cook for 2-5 mins.

Heat tortillas to soften, then fill with burrito mixture. I like to make guacamole and tomato salsa to accompany burritos. Enjoy
Amonhotep

Dreamer
22nd February, 2009, 01:49 AM
ooh I like the sound of this one. do you think you could post it in the recipies stickie too? link here...Recipes (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f80/)

audge
3rd March, 2009, 10:50 PM
yes - the best ever recipe for dessert is shop bought chocolate fudge cake, with chocolate sauce, sure how could you possibly create anything better with your own hand ?????????????

davi367
18th March, 2009, 11:59 PM

deffo wifey . ena baxter would be turning in her grave

leemic
5th June, 2009, 12:11 PM
Would'nt chance cooking wife anything she'd only ask what i was upto lol

LeLongCarabine
8th June, 2009, 10:51 AM
heres a quick bread recipe to go with Aftermaths Parsnip soup its italian bread and the way its cooked may seem strange
this is measured in cups so you cant go wrong and pleassssse no one ask what size the cups should be lol the bigger the cup the bigger loaf
3 cups of strong bread flour
1 cup of warm water
1 pack of dried yeast
1 tsp salt
1.5 tbs olive oil good stuff
sift the flour and salt then yeast mixing all the time add the oil and mix finally the water (you may need to add a bit nore depending on the flour) once the dough is ready form into a round
place on an oiled tray cover in flour then with a sharp knife cut a deep circle round the top leave to rise covered until doubled in size then put it in a cold oven and turn it onto gas mark 4 cook for 45/55mins depending on your cooker may need less/more test bottom to see if its cooked the loaf should be crispy crusted and brown
good look
from a modern man lol

macpep1
24th June, 2009, 07:28 PM
As you know most of the best cooks in the world are male.

I know that some of the recipies on recipie sites are basically a waste of time. People have posted without testing and have missed out instructions or forgotten ingredients or even just made something up.

A lot of folkcan't even boil an egg and live off ready meals. Maybe they would be tempted to try making something if it had been rated as easy to make and tasty.
I am new to this site but my other half told me to join, he was fed up with me asking him to get something from the site. He got a chilli recipe from the site, not sure who posted it and it was absolutely delicious. He cooked it in the slow cooker and went to work, we made a second pot of it tonight. So recipe thread sounds like a good idea and am sure poople who are interested can post their favourite recipes as well :)

busaal
28th July, 2009, 09:09 PM
hi i love cooking . ive tryed twice to bake a white chocolate cake. with little sucess.dark chococlate brill

s8jjy
13th August, 2009, 04:40 PM
whos the power vaulter !!!!

opsmonkey
13th August, 2009, 04:51 PM
thats his daughter

-Hox-
27th August, 2009, 01:03 AM
whos the power vaulter !!!!

Guessing you mean Jaffa's signature?!

She's called Allison Stokke, and she is amazing.

Chimaera
27th August, 2009, 07:42 AM
Cooking the Australian Way

http://i37.tinypic.com/o514lt.jpg

By Elizabeth Germaine, Ann L. Burckhardt,

* Publisher: Lerner Publications
* Number Of Pages: 72
* Publication Date: 2003-08

http://rapidshare.com/files/159201371/CAustralian_linuxtrance.pdf
Cooking the Mexican Way

http://i34.tinypic.com/2itm1x5.jpg

* Publication Date: 2001-09
* Sales Rank: 572500
* ISBN / ASIN: 0822541173
* EAN: 9780822541172
* Manufacturer: Lerner Publications
* Studio: Lerner Publications

http://rapidshare.com/files/159204234/CMexican.pdf
Cooking The Lebanese Way

http://i35.tinypic.com/28wkjti.jpg

Reading level: Ages 9-12
Hardcover: 72 pages
Publisher: Lerner Publishing Group; 2 Rev Exp edition (June 2002)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0822541165
ISBN-13: 978-0822541165

Cooking the Lebanese Way: Revised and Expanded to Include New Low-Fat and Vegetarian Recipes
An introduction to the cooking of Lebanon featuring such traditional recipes as Kabobs, hummus and tahini dip, chard and yogurt soup, and cracked wheat pilaf. Also includes information on the history, geography, customs and people of this Middle Eastern country.

http://rapidshare.com/files/151599600/Cooking_The_Lebanese_Way_linuxtrance.pdf
Cooking the Middle Eastern Way

http://i36.tinypic.com/2quru6s.jpg

By Alison Behnke, Vartkes Ehramjian,

* Publication Date: 2005-01
* Sales Rank: 1177908
* ISBN / ASIN: 0822512386
* EAN: 9780822512387
* Binding: Library Binding
* Manufacturer: Lerner Publications

http://rapidshare.com/files/159204488/CMiddleEastern_linuxtrance.pdf
Just something i found on my travels, grab it whilst you can

kjoshi
27th January, 2010, 08:04 PM
If u ever fancy an indian, drop me a line, ive got a great meal for you.

bulbul
19th March, 2010, 10:19 PM
I have just tried vegetable roast and it was lovely. Brockly. Runner beans, pease, and potatoes

Wrendleman
29th March, 2010, 11:56 AM
Quick Tip

For great Scrambled Eggs dont add milk or cream

Just Eggs, slat and Pepper and cook slowly, stiriing constantly

Wrendleman

HoTTDubbER
29th March, 2010, 12:12 PM
****Meal Fit For a King****

you will need
a frying pan
some cooking oil
a microwave
and 2 plates

some eggs ,bacon, bread, margarine, tomato or brown sauce whatever your pref

heat oil in frying pan
stick the bacon on plate
put the bacon in microwave and cook on full power for 5 mins

while bacon is in microwave crack open your eggs and fry for for few mins untill done

while bacon and eggs cook butter your bread and place on plate no2

remove bacon from microwave and eggs from pan and place on bread

add your sauce and wala a meal fit for a king in just a few short minutes

you maybe asking yourself why not fry the bacon in same pan as the eggs , the answer is simple it saves time and my frying pan isnt big enough to fry 4 pieces of bacon and 2 eggs at the same time

heres one i made earlyer
http://www.takethehandle.com/interactive/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/eggandbacon01.jpg

enjoy all lmao

(Disclaimer!!
i stole the photo of the roll mine look much better make sure you bacon is thoroughly cooked and piping hot i take no responsibility for under cooked bacon,eggs or food poisoning ,copyright of HoTTDubbER Original recipe all rights reserved)

kermitthefrog
7th April, 2010, 01:45 AM
Quick Tip

For great Scrambled Eggs dont add milk or cream

Just Eggs, slat and Pepper and cook slowly, stiriing constantly

Wrendlemanchop up onion,tomato and bacon for a tasty scrambled eggs :top:

casper2
16th April, 2010, 05:53 PM
The best cooks are women.

Dreamer
17th April, 2010, 11:59 PM
The best cooks are women.

nooooooo you are sooo wrong!!!

caveman_nige
3rd May, 2010, 12:46 PM
hi anyone got new software 5...pleaseeeee

this is the cookery section mate, why not ask in the correct section of the forum so the guys can help you..

I am guessing that you want this section >>>> http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f83/

fabulousdeal
20th May, 2010, 03:29 PM
Hmmm sounds lovely. Any idea of how to make mississippi mud pie. I tried it last weekend and the top of it burnt and the bottom of it was still raw. Plus it was horrible. Although even if it had cooked properly it would've been horrible. lol
Any ideas???

mannie22
9th February, 2011, 11:56 AM
definately not wifey most chefs are male anyway. I love cooking

omglol
23rd February, 2011, 10:50 PM
Very cool, looks easy enough. Will try. ;)

omglol
23rd February, 2011, 10:54 PM
6. Greek Salad ( fantastic )

This one looks especially interesting. =)

passer
23rd September, 2012, 08:53 PM
Feels sad that I can't see any of the great recipes :(

Anyway, I'm one for wacky recipes, and the wackiest I've tried (and still tastes fine) is chicken wings with cola. lol

mirandasieck
18th November, 2012, 02:34 PM
It is true that men can cook better then women because they cook food occasionally.

joeblower
24th July, 2016, 03:42 AM
anyone have good vegan recipes