PDA

View Full Version : 2011 cummins isx15 cm2250 chronic oil filter plugging

SPEEDTECH
27th July, 2014, 02:11 AM
Hi i need help. my isx keeps plugging my oil filters(L9080) and causing code 143. also now im starting to have breather plugging code 555. I have the newest calibration, its been in the shop and they reset the over head(single cam=valve). last year they found the egr cooler leaking and replaced the cooler and egr valve. i heard of carbon packing of the rings could this be part of the problem. i need help my truck has just over 100,000 on it and i keep up with my maintenance. i removed the valve cover to check for sludge and it was really clean. the cam four of the intake rockers the roller are starting to show slight galling as with the cam lobes but the rollers still spin smooth. i had a friend check base timing by pin and wedge. he said wedge mark is just above the head and shout be ok. i dont want to spend a 12k inframe if it doesn't need it.

Biggame520
31st July, 2014, 07:28 AM
Hello,

Last year I have a customer with a 2010 KW T60 with a ISX15 with the same issue. After change numerous parts it came out to be a cracked piston ring. The cracked ring caused the soot to build up quicker than normal and caused the filter to clog. I'm sorry but it seem to me it's a internal issue. Maybe look to see if your motor is still under warranty. Many Cummins dealers won't conclude it's a internal issues and you will waste lots of time and money replacing sensors and other components such as oil

The truck i worked on have has a clogged oil filter and low oil pressure code. Issue stopped after replacing the oil filter, truck ran fine for about 1000 miles then low oil pressure light comes on, truck shuts off.

This keep repeating until it's gets worst to every 400 miles. Then we decided to take the engine apart. There it was a cracked ring and yes the rings were filled with carbon build up from the egr system. Let me know what you find out too. Good luck.

MDR72
25th August, 2014, 05:17 AM
Yes has either a broken ring or pistons are carbon packed. Engine will have to come apart, check pistons when you get it apart pistons are changed to prevent carbon packing and software also changes to prevent problems. Put engine under load for at least 100 miles to seat piston rings, limit engine rpm to max of 1600 rpm to seat properly.

SPEEDTECH
2nd December, 2014, 03:41 PM
thanks guys it turned out to be carbon packing of the rings