got mine from blockbuster for ?35
not played it yet gonna have a go today
dazza

shabz
16th June, 2008, 06:52 PM
amazing game cut scenes are incredibly realistic great shooter

janobi
19th June, 2008, 08:36 PM
Been playing for days mate. Awesome, done the first scene. Moved into the 2nd scene now. But things are confusing as hell. Amazing game, excellent finish to an amazing series.

sorceror
19th June, 2008, 11:34 PM
Quality game, been a while since i played a game i just couldn't put down. Just wish i'd played the previous games as i'm a touch lost. At the end of act 4, i think!

janobi
20th June, 2008, 10:20 AM
Quality game, been a while since i played a game i just couldn't put down. Just wish i'd played the previous games as i'm a touch lost. At the end of act 4, i think!

I was the same mate, never played 3. But luckily someone has given me a run down of it. lol.

<--janobi added 69 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...-->

Here is the info I was given mate.

Ok, this shouldnt be a spoiler at all as it comes from the sequels.

Big Boss was the code name for the Boss's first student. He appeared in MGS3, his code name was Naked Snake (I think it changed to Solid, but cant remember). He was sent into the Russian jungle to retrieve a scientist or something, working on a project for a rocket propelled tank that could launch Nuclear missiles.

At the start of the game, you learn that the Boss and her team are there to support Naked, but pretty soon after, she double crosses the good guys and takes her team over to the Russian side. Naked is sent back in to take her out, save the scientist and retrieve a bomb or something. Along the way Naked is challenged by the Boss's team mates, who you have to kill (the sniper battle is amazing). You also come into contact with a Russian officer who is gifted with pistols, Naked beats him a few times and says he should use a single action army revolver - this guy grows up to be Revolver Ocelot.

The rest of the game goes on, some really good bits. Basically you end up fighting the Russian nutter at the end in his rocket propelled tank and winning. The very final fight is with the Boss, she has been taunting Naked all the way through the game as he cant beat her. The last fight is v tricky, but you essentially need to beat her. Once this is done, she dies and you get to escape to Alaska with some chick. As the Boss dies, she tells Naked that his new codename is Big Boss, as he beat her.

As Big Boss is escaping, Ocelot turns up to try and kill him, by this time you have learned that he is the Boss's son - his father was part of the Boss's team and was a phsycic medium who could manipulate the dead. Everyone ends up being friends in the end. Ocelot and the Big Boss have a hug.

The very end I cant remember, I think the girl that Big Boss saves double crosses him at the end, walking off with the conceptual plans for Metal Gear, someone else can clear that up.

Now, in MGS1, Grey Fox (the protagonist from Metal Gear) cuts off Ocelots arm to stop him from shooting someone. Ocelot was the only one to escape from Liquid Snakes team alive. In MGS2, you see him with his new arm, courtesy of Liquid Snake, as he takes over a ship in the US that has a Metal Gear Rex on board. The first chapter see Ocelot get posessed by the spirit of Liquid Snake, he uses the term "welcome back, brother" or something, in an english accent (Liquid Snake was given to the UK).

After this, Raiden is your man as you save the day - in which you see all the new freaks - as you try to destroy all the Metal Gear Rexs. There is a huge Metal Gear at the end, cant remember what it is called. Right at the end, Raiden faces Solidus, the last of the Enfants Terribles (I think thats what they called Solid, Liquid and Solidus). Raiden kills Solidus and thats that.

Some other bits that turn up during the three games:

Solid Snake, Liquid Snake and Solidus are all clones of the Big Boss and cannot reproduce. Only the Big Boss ever pulled and could do something about it.

The only good clone was Liquid Snake, Solid and Solidus were flawed, I think FOXDIE worked really well on them, however Liquid needed his assed kicked, shot, run over and then a Metal Gear to explode before he died - its also why Solid Snake has aged so much by the time of MGS4.

The annoying prpfessor guy who helps Solid, his dad was in MGS3 - he developed Metal Gear, and his sister perfected Metal Gear Rex.

The Boss was Big Boss's teacher. The Big Boss was the genetic donor for Les Enfants Teribles.

Ocelots parents were The Boss and a phsycic medium, I think his name was The Sorrow - he helps Naked Snake in MGS3.

After deafeating the Boss, Naked Snake is given the codename Big Boss, which he uses through the 70's as an active agent and in the 80's as the leader of FOXHOUND. He also creates Outer Heaven, the setting for the orignial games, where he becomes the bad guy.

randomuser83
11th July, 2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the info. I didnt know all the back story.

Raven
11th July, 2008, 11:28 PM
I bought MGS4 yesterday, haven't received it yet hopefully it will arrive in the post tomorrow but will more likely be Tuesday. In any case I've been watching the videos and reviews whilst trying to dodge around possible spoilers, I swear when your trying to do this sometimes you feel like Solid Snake trapped in a minefield lol. In any case from what I've seen this game looks great. Although I'm still not sure about the whole Old Snake thing or the fact that the fella who voiced Liquid Snake in the original Metal Gear Solid isn't in this game when it is supposed to be a swansong featuring just about every previous character in the series. Because the guy who voiced Liquid was just an unbelievably talented voice actor and his performance in the original MGS was awesome. Cam Clarke I think his name is, or James Flinders.....either way one of the names is an alias of sorts and they are both one and the same.

Still in any case I have yet to actually play the game so I have absolutely no idea what it will be like. I do have a funny feeling I will be glued to my PS3 for a couple of weeks though until I clock the game lol.

EDIT

Had the game for barely 24 hours now and I'm already up to act 3 lol. Brilliant game this, the cutscenes are mental. Perhaps abit TOO much action going on but still awesome to look at. The game itself is very good too but it is hard to adjust to if you are used to previous MGS games in that you are not alone anymore....now there's a war going on around you.

The storyline so far is typical MGS - I pretend to understand and I get the basic gyst of it but some of the technical jargon that the characters speak is confusing as hell to me lol. Still it's the same in any MGS game and this one is really good.

It is true though that the pictures and video do not do the game justice and it is true that it is one of those games that you have to play to appreciate truly how good it is.

PS

To anyone who has played the game.....how scary is that laughing mantis thing - it's like a psychotic cross between the Joker and Dr Octopus only it's female. If you've played it then you'll know what I mean.

randomuser83
28th July, 2008, 06:59 PM
Just wait until you get to the end of act 3. Its pretty cool. Try online too man its pretty awesome.

janobi
28th July, 2008, 07:46 PM
Pretty much finished this game, have to agree that mantis is a bit weird. lol. But all the bosses are to be honest. Really enjoyed this game, and its an excellent end to an amazing series.

Raven
28th July, 2008, 08:59 PM
It is good, right now I am up to the Crying Wolf fight next to the communications tower, can't see a bloody thing and night vision doesn't help all that much...haven't quite figured out the best c.o.a for beating that boss yet lol.

I think so far that Raging Raven boss fight at the end of act 3 was the best because the graphics were great when the building gets blown to bits in great chunks as you are fighting inside it.

janobi
29th July, 2008, 09:06 AM
It is good, right now I am up to the Crying Wolf fight next to the communications tower, can't see a bloody thing and night vision doesn't help all that much...haven't quite figured out the best c.o.a for beating that boss yet lol.

I think so far that Raging Raven boss fight at the end of act 3 was the best because the graphics were great when the building gets blown to bits in great chunks as you are fighting inside it.

Ok mate, way I beat her was to hide under the lorry, and then snipe all the guards, that will then allow you to only shoot her, use the goggles so you can see properly, and just keep looking for her. When she opens to shoot, just blast hell out of her.

Raven
29th July, 2008, 02:24 PM
Cheers buddy I'll be sure to give that a go when I play it next. To tell you the truth I'm not playing one game exclusively, I'm alternating day by day between MGS4, GTA IV and Uncharted lol. Kinda bad for storyline purposes and flow but hey those three games just keep calling me back lol.