PDA

View Full Version : midgies

maxi1968
28th June, 2009, 11:28 PM
whats the point in them they serve no usefull purpouse,all they do is annoy and eat .why were they put on this earth.:hmmmm2:

ste6106
28th June, 2009, 11:30 PM
Point of midgess, to bite drunk beer garden attendants in summer

melloned
29th June, 2009, 12:31 AM
:hmmmm2: gotta serve some purpose in the world i suppose mate ? , but have to agree they're little bast*rds ! :congrats:

chroma
29th June, 2009, 01:06 AM
trout food.

Midges (most of them) in their larval stages are aquatic. So are good food for small fry, which are good food for more mature trout, which are good food for even bigger trout :)
Also bird food.

As for their use? They're detrivores, they eat "detritus." Rotting plant matter mostly, like dead leaves, peat, etc. This helps airate the stuff which promotes bacterial colonies which break the stuff down to basic nitrogen compounds. Which is good fertilizer for growing healthy stuff.

Ah! i hear you question "but how can the bastards eat dead plant stuff when theyre chewing me?"

Well of the 37 or so spieces in the UK only 5 spieces bite people (the rest stick to livestock or just to plant matter) and of those 5 its only the females who bite.
They only do this to increase their nutrition to ensure their eggs survive for breeding purposes.

And it should be noted that decaying matter smells, it lets off carbon dioxide as its broken down, so midges essentialy fly by nose towards sources of carbon dioxide, which as it happens is what your expelled breath consists of.
Fire also emits co2 also, so they're attracted to barbecues, patio heaters, candles etc. they can smell co2 from up to 250yds away also :(

They're more useful alive than dead, hence total erradication would harm us more than just wearing skin so soft and smelling like a poofter :p

forntida
29th June, 2009, 08:06 AM
Ure just obsessed with the little thing.

Mjolinor
29th June, 2009, 08:20 AM
So the cure is to stop breathing, that'll stop them finding you.

Either that or stand next to Zap, he emits more gas than most things so they will be attracted more to him.

GMB isn't a good candidate, he is just full of hot air.

forntida
29th June, 2009, 09:00 AM

Either that or stand next to Zap, he emits more gas than most things so they will be attracted more to him.

He allegedly posts shit another thing that attracts midgies.

To avoid midges, it helps to know a little about their likes and dislikes. They like the cool indirect light of dawn and dusk, and dislike direct strong sunlight. They like damp conditions and dislike dry conditions. And they like still air and dislike anything above a fairly gentle breeze. All this tends to mean that midges are less common the middle of the day than in the mornings and evenings; that they are rarer on exposed hills than in sheltered valleys; and that the can be fond of woodland and forest areas. Finally, it is worth knowing that midges prefer dark coloured clothing to light.
Scottish Midges Feature Page on Undiscovered Scotland (http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usfeatures/midges/)

They are a bit like some(most) members in here. Come out early in the morning and late at night and they all bite.:roflmao:

gmb45
29th June, 2009, 09:04 AM
He allegedly posts shit another thing that attracts midgies. no they shite flies m8, now i realies what all that buzzing was its coming from your posts :D

Lainie
29th June, 2009, 11:39 AM
use some of that avon stuff on your skin the lil ~~~~ers hate that lol. oh and burn a citronella candle

Mjolinor
29th June, 2009, 11:43 AM
use some of that avon stuff on your skin the lil ~~~~ers hate that lol. oh and burn a citronella candle

Hippies, thought they all died?

maxi1968
29th June, 2009, 01:32 PM
trout food.

Midges (most of them) in their larval stages are aquatic. So are good food for small fry, which are good food for more mature trout, which are good food for even bigger trout :)
Also bird food.

As for their use? They're detrivores, they eat "detritus." Rotting plant matter mostly, like dead leaves, peat, etc. This helps airate the stuff which promotes bacterial colonies which break the stuff down to basic nitrogen compounds. Which is good fertilizer for growing healthy stuff.

Ah! i hear you question "but how can the bastards eat dead plant stuff when theyre chewing me?"

Well of the 37 or so spieces in the UK only 5 spieces bite people (the rest stick to livestock or just to plant matter) and of those 5 its only the females who bite.
They only do this to increase their nutrition to ensure their eggs survive for breeding purposes.

And it should be noted that decaying matter smells, it lets off carbon dioxide as its broken down, so midges essentialy fly by nose towards sources of carbon dioxide, which as it happens is what your expelled breath consists of.
Fire also emits co2 also, so they're attracted to barbecues, patio heaters, candles etc. they can smell co2 from up to 250yds away also :(

They're more useful alive than dead, hence total erradication would harm us more than just wearing skin so soft and smelling like a poofter :p
thank you for the info on the midgies,as an avid flyfisherman i can honestly say that they have ruined many a good fishing trip.

forntida
29th June, 2009, 02:06 PM
they can smell co2 from up to 250yds away also
Who measured this distance and how was it done?:hmmmm2:

Was it a tape worm?:vroam:

Mjolinor
29th June, 2009, 04:32 PM
Who measured this distance and how was it done?:hmmmm2:

Was it a tape worm?:vroam:

Groan, please leave the room.

zaphodbb
30th June, 2009, 04:15 PM

hey i cant remember if i beat the living piss outta ya before if not visit www,beatthelivingpissoutofmjoliner.com and hey have a nice day :roflmao: but dwayne is full of shite not hot air lol