PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply/ Battery Charger

fake91
18th August, 2014, 12:01 AM
Does somebody use a Battery Charger while flashing the Ecu ?

If yes which one do you use ?

Is it necessary or safer to use it?

cqae
18th August, 2014, 03:36 AM
most chargers will do the job. Many manufacturers & sellers of diag equipment want to sell you really expensive units, but reality is you just need enough to maintain power whith the ignition on & while system is programming. Also take into account your battery should be ok & charged first & you just need to keep it topped up.
its definitely safer though because if a battery ghoes flat during programming, anything can happen including damaging ecus.
I just say anything that is microprocessor controled with suitable amperage output

fake91
20th August, 2014, 02:35 PM
Ok thank you very much. I have a 15Amps Battery charger so you mean that is enough?

regards

cqae
21st August, 2014, 04:05 AM
15a really isnt that big. It will slow down the process of a battery going flat but probably wont cope with reprogramming a late Mercedes that will run many accessories during the process. But it would probably lengthen the time you have before it goes flat & is an issue. It would be fine for smaller programming & such.

pls press thanks if my post has been helpful

ominimicu
21st August, 2014, 10:06 AM
I do most ECUs on bench and 2amps- 14v supply is more than enough.
in car- that is different, the cars battery will drain charge if its not full + the car current consumption.
any charger u may have, put it and leave it on a while, dont imediately start flashing. Also turn ignition On and wait to see for what voltage u have.
try not to go below 12,2 or ecus stops functioning and u may get in trouble. and newer tricore ecus need more than 12