PDA

View Full Version : is the royal family worth it ?

gmb45
29th June, 2009, 06:36 PM
The Royal Family cost every person in the UK 69p last year - an increase of 3p on the previous year, Buckingham Palace accounts show.

The total cost to the public of keeping the monarchy increased by ?1.5m to ?41.5m in the 2008/9 financial year.

Palace accounts also show that the Queen dipped into a reserve fund to boost by ?6m her Civil List, which pays for the running of the Royal household.

It is the largest sum ever drawn from the reserve built up in the 1990s.

The Queen's Civil List, which also covers Royal household staff salaries, cost ?13.9m in 2007/8 - this comprised ?7.9m from government coffers and ?6m from the reserve.

If the Queen continues to spend money from the reserve at the rate she is now, it will be used up by the start of her Diamond Jubilee year in 2012.

69p is an eye-catching figure. It's the sum royal officials proudly say the monarchy costs each person in the country. However, this headline amount doesn't include the large, but never disclosed security bill for protecting the royals around the clock.

It's clear from these accounts that by next year, the Queen will have to go cap in hand to the government seeking an increased income. One of her annual pots of money, the Civil List, has been set at ?7.9m for 20 years.

In the good times, a surplus built up. For the past eight years, it's been raided and is dwindling. The ?7.9m Civil List funds, among other things, ?11m of salaries and catering.

In a recession, with cuts on the agenda and an election looming, the royals face difficult financial negotiations in 2010.

If the total cost of the monarchy is calculated per taxpayer and not per person, the cost works out at about ?1.33 each.

Of the ?13.9m Civil List purse, nearly ?10m went on staff salaries.

Housekeeping and furnishings cost ?700,000 and ceremonial functions cost ?400,000.

A further ?1.1m was spent on catering and hospitality - within this, garden parties cost ?600,000, while the cost of food and the royal kitchens came to ?500,000.

Computers and IT systems cost ?400,000 - double the figure for 2007 due to the launch of a new British monarchy website and new personnel, payroll and online recruitment systems.

The ?7.9m figure that is granted by the government was frozen in 2000, to compensate for 10 years of over-generous payments. It will be up for re-negotiation at the end of 2010.

The current deal was agreed by Sir John Major in 1990.

The shortfall has led to questions about how much Buckingham Palace will be able to ask for from the government during a recession.

Last year Buckingham Palace officials described the cost of the Royal Family to taxpayers as less than the price of two pints of milk or an MP3 player download.

But Graham Smith of the anti-monarchy campaign group, Republic, said the cost of the monarchy to the public was unjustified.

He said: "Once again, the powers that be are continually putting their hands into the public finances. They are not being totally clear and transparent about how that money is spent.

"This is a hugely expensive institution and we should be looking at massive cuts."

Mr Smith said it was possible to run a head of state at a much reduced cost, offering as examples the Republic of Ireland and Germany.

He suggested the Queen should be paid a salary of ?200,000 a year.

Mr Smith also said that dividing the ?41m between each person in the UK to arrive at the 69p figure was really a means to make the cost seem less than it was.

The ?41m total does not include security provided by the police and Army or the ceremonial duties performed by the Armed Forces.

The cost of Royal travel, which is also paid by the taxpayer, increased by ?300,000 from ?6.2m to ?6.5m.

The most expensive journeys were the long-haul overseas tours of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall.

Buckingham Palace made ?7m from visitors in 2007?2008

opsmonkey
29th June, 2009, 06:44 PM
i gladly pay 69p to keep the Queen.. i dont like paying 69p to keep a load of Bosnians, Iraqi's or Afghans when the war is over in their country.. what do they need asylum for now..??

gmb45
29th June, 2009, 06:45 PM
id pay 69p to keep the Queen rather than 69p to keep a load of Bosnians, Iraqi's or Afghans.. 2 right m8

Lainie
29th June, 2009, 07:15 PM
not a royalist by any means but we have a queen and albeit she is a terrible mother she has been a fantastic queen.

forntida
29th June, 2009, 07:25 PM
not a royalist by any means but we have a queen and albeit she is a terrible mother she has been a fantastic queen.

Duly noted. That's you off the New Years honours list. Your Paisley Street Cred has gone up however.:roflmao:

As for the Royal Family, they only cost a small fraction of what we spend on overseas aid every year. Considering the overseas aid is squandered in most cases. Better the Queen than President Blair etc.

Mr Pumpy
29th June, 2009, 08:41 PM
Every penny in my opinion.

When you look at the crap that the government waste our money on, it makes my blood boil.
In a time when we seem to be losing our national identity we need the royal family to help try and keep it.

gmb45
29th June, 2009, 08:43 PM
Every penny in my opinion.

When you look at the crap that the government waste our money on, it makes my blood boil.
In a time when we seem to be losing our national identity we need the royal family to help try and keep it. yo pump m8 aint there some german in the royal family ?

thered
29th June, 2009, 08:47 PM
yep im in keep the queen the country makes more off tourists than it costs to keep them i cant really imaginr us without one or king tbh

Mr Pumpy
29th June, 2009, 08:52 PM
Aye, but the royal family has been make up of all sorts of nationalities over hundreds of years.
The thing is I think they symbolize britishness when there doesnt seem to be too much britishness about.

gmb45
29th June, 2009, 08:54 PM
Aye, but the royal family has been make up of all sorts of nationalities over hundreds of years.
The thing is I think they symbolize britishness when there doesnt seem to be too much britishness about. fcuk all britishness m8 left

Mr Pumpy
29th June, 2009, 09:02 PM
fcuk all britishness m8 left

Exactly Gb, thats why I don't mind paying for the royal family, we have got to try and keep our national identity.

God save the Queen. :D

chroma
30th June, 2009, 12:05 AM
the magna carta says NO!

Monarchies are essentialy useless. i worked with an old woman who didnt even get so much as an email when she turned 100 (she lived to 104)
Days gone by you got a letter from the queen saying "good job on you know not dying and stuff. keep up the good work toodle pip jolly ho old chum"
Now you get nowt.

All the queen is useful for nowadays is attracting tourists.

PS: on a slightly unrelalated note, when tucking that old lady into bed at night she used to tell me to turn off the gas (still living in the days of gas mantle lighting) how cool is that? she was a sweet old lady and had plenty of awesome stories, she even rode to New York in a zepplin :)
Still no letter from the queen though, the miserable cow.

opsmonkey
30th June, 2009, 12:25 AM
lol.. the queen doesnt know everybodys date of birth.. if you want a letter from the queen saying "Congrats you're 100" then you have to either write to her and let her know or get a member of your family to do it..

there isnt a big computer in Buckingham Palace that flashes up everyday stuff like:

"Ethel in Rotherham is 100 today ma'am.. write a letter"

How to receive a telegram from the Queen

If you, or a member of your family are approaching a very significant date in your life, then you may be able to arrange a telegram from the Queen.

100th, 105th Birthday and 60th Wedding Anniversary telegrams can be arranged by contacting the Chief Clerk, PSO Buckingham Palace SW1 or you can download a form from Welcome to the official website of the British Monarchy (http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page4893.asp) or telephone: 0207 930 4832.

Alternatively, telegrams can be arranged through the General Register Office. Please contact 0845 603 7788.

Commemorative marriage certificates for gold, silver, ruby and diamond anniversaries can be obtained from the General Register Office. Please allow at least 14 working days before delivery is required. Contact 0845 603 7788.

chroma
30th June, 2009, 12:32 AM
see, weddings i can understand but i mean how many people get to 100 before pushing up the dasies?

Seems fairly straightforward to me that the birth registry would have some kind of script in order to deal with this and do it all automagicaly.

I mean what ells has the queen got to do all day? it must get boring pottering around a palace all day.
I bet shes really good at like counterstrike or something.
totaly kicks ass at Gears Of War 2 on the xbox360 :)

opsmonkey
30th June, 2009, 12:35 AM
Seems fairly straightforward to me that the birth registry would have some kind of script in order to deal with this and do it all automagicaly.

That sounds like a good way for you to make some cash.. i once designed a modification for a field radio and got ?600 of the MOD..

They'd pay a few quid for a script like that

You could give it to me and i could submit it lol

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/GEMS/