PDA

View Full Version : Alll mobiles to use the same charger.

xant14
29th June, 2009, 09:06 PM
All mobiles to use same charger within a year 5:54PM, Monday 29th June 2009

Just seen this on channel 5 news, which is great as I have rakes of different chargers in the home and the car.

Top mobile phone manufacturers have signed an EU-backed Memorandum of Understanding to produce a common charger for all handsets, reducing waste and compatibility problems from proprietary chargers.
The agreement was signed by all of the major manufacturers, including Nokia, Sony Ericsson, LG and Apple, and proposes a single charger that uses the Micro-USB connector.
cool, and about time.

wellkarl99
29th June, 2009, 09:24 PM
Very cool:congrats:

opsmonkey
29th June, 2009, 11:54 PM
sounds great but they'd have to replace my iPhone for free.. i wouldnt be keen on paying for it

xant14
30th June, 2009, 11:18 PM
They wouldn't need to replace any old phones. Just need to make sure the new ones had the mini usb connector.
Good thing about mini usb is you can charge it all over the shop, on your lappy, your PC, home adapter, your car. And everybody has two or three top hatted mini usb leads tucked away in a cupboard
My G1 has that connector already. Google for ya. taking over the world.

alunfennell
1st July, 2009, 03:12 PM
I saw that on the news yesterday .... But it must be easy for them phone manufactures as most phones come with a mini UBS port as standard now, only Nokia realy have there own port, so its about time as everything else has been standardised one way or another in the electronics world..

Regards:
Alun

xant14
1st July, 2009, 06:20 PM
I have a few different chargers in my car. 2 types of nokia, sony erriccson, LG, samsung, and the mini usb one. I still have all them fones, or someone in the family does. I also have a tomtom charger, a PSP charger, big fck off torch and charger.
And a load of other stuff in the car that's electrified, cool bag, fm transmitter and the missus's love eggs.... I've said enough.