PDA

View Full Version : Gillette conspiricy

xant14
29th June, 2009, 10:38 PM
Gillette Mach 3 V Gillette Fusion
Years ago, 1999 I think, I got a Mach 3, and it was the dogs danglies. the sharpest, smoothest razer I had used. I continued using a number of mach 3's including the power one, good, but gimmicky until last year.
I bought a few blades from the carboot and noticed they were shite, I put this down to being carboot tat so I bought some from Boots the chemist (carboots V Boots lol ). Anyway, these were equally shite.
I am now using Gillette Fusion which again I have found to be brilliant.
I believe Gillette have deliberately 'detuned' the mach 3 to promote the fusion, so much so I had entered it into Wikipaedia, but it has been deleted.
Now we are seeing the adverts with Tiger Woods knocking the mach 3 out of someones hands.

Just thought I'd tell you... the missus isn't interested.

Lainie
29th June, 2009, 10:45 PM
oh the fusion razors are amazing - so smoove

opsmonkey
29th June, 2009, 10:50 PM
hmm.. im the opposite mate.. i was using electric razors for a while but i went back to wet and tried the fusion.. i though it was good but when i went to replace the blades i thought '~~~~ that' when i saw the price, so i bought a mach 3.. i've had no problems with it and put it on an equal par with the fusion, a blade lasts 5 days for me, its starting to wear a bit thin on a friday but ive got pain in the ass tough stubble..

if you bought your blades from a car boot they are probably blag blades like half the ones on fleabay.. made in a back street shop in china..

the ones from boots should have been a good standard.. what cream / foam / gel do you use.. i find if i use a cheap foam the razor doesnt glide properly and you get a shite shave..

i may sound like a razor freak but im in the military so it pays to shave well lol

forntida
29th June, 2009, 11:02 PM
Blades and printer ink are the two biggest cons going. Just study the materials involved in both products. Virtually nothing. You can get a DVD player fro the price of 4 Fusion blades. You could nearly get a TV for the price of the two required cartridges for an HP printer. I also believe that when Fusion came out they did not produce the same quality of Mach.

The best shave I get is to pre shave with an electric razor then wet shave with a Fusion blade. It makes the Fusion blade last for ages.

8 Fusion blades in Tesco cost nearly ?19. If you buy a new Fusion Shaver with 2 blades it cost ?3 odds. A bargain, discounting the bloody inflated price of blades.

ManofScience
29th June, 2009, 11:04 PM
i was thinking about this the other day, sensor excel were the daddies, then mach 3, then wilkinson had the quatro, now the fusion with 5 blades - WTF? 5?

then i saw they were flogging the fusions for a quid or something in ASDA. i was going to buy one till i thought VERY CLEVER MR. GILLETTE, lure me in with a cheap razon only to shaft me up the arse with the cost of the blades. no thanks. mach3 for me for now... till the blades get too expensive

chroma
29th June, 2009, 11:52 PM
i got sick of forking out for blades so i went and got me a straight.

Cost a fortune to get my setup initialy:
?95 for my razor (a nice little Dovo Solingen 5/8 Special, prehoned/shaveready)
?75 for a red latigo leather strop (bundled with a practice strop which is essential to learn on as it will wind up trashed)
?40 for a best badger shaving brush (this is noticibly different from any other brush ive used it makes the best lather ive ever used)
?7.00 for soap
?30 for misc stuff like a wetstone to hone it (a spare shitty 10bux razor from ebay to practice honing), a nice soapstone dish for my soap and some aftershave lotion, hardware to mount my strop etc.

Sounds like a ton of money but the shave is unbelievable, nothing quite compares. Besides the blade, strop and brush will last me a lifetime. The only expense ive had in the past 3 years is soap (taylors of old bond street sandalwood is beyond comparison to any shaving foam ive tried) i run in about a new soap every year, so im working at say ?7.00 a year for a fantastic shave every time.

I was going through a a pack of blades every month and a half, then cans of foam/gel on top so i figure ive now started gaining a return on my investment. It gets me some funny looks if im away on a trip though and people see me waving a cutthroat at my face.

opsmonkey
29th June, 2009, 11:59 PM
are you Rambo..?? Thats the sort of razor i'd expect him to use..

Either your Rambo, Chuck Norris or a Ninja lol

chroma
30th June, 2009, 12:28 AM
are you Rambo..?? Thats the sort of razor i'd expect him to use..

Either your Rambo, Chuck Norris or a Ninja lol

Neither, i just did the math and im FRUGAL or MISERLY or A COMPLETE TIGHT ARSE Either is fine with me :)

Surprisingly enough however ive cut myself less with a straight than any other razor, theres something about holding a steel blade to your throat and knowing that i can easily bury itself up to the bone that makes you concentrate more than usual.

http://xs140.xs.to/xs140/09271/hidk626.jpg
theres my badboy, complete with pipe? and part of a laptop.
Fully equiped with dodgy barely ledgible handwriting.
Shakey focus as an added bonus!

xant14
30th June, 2009, 12:52 AM
I can't see you getting on a Ryan Air flight with that in your hand luggage.

on_the_jazz
30th June, 2009, 01:06 AM
Straight razor user here too. I just got annoyed with having to replace the mach3 blades and the general lack of control. Opsmonkey you should try a straight and see if it copes better with your beard.
The only issue with it is the expenses start mounting up. Soon you'll want another blade, then a bettter brush, a better strop, maybe a waterstone or 2. Before you know it you're spending more than you spent on the mach3's. Great fun though :p

opsmonkey
30th June, 2009, 01:11 AM
i think i'll stick to the Mach 3 mate thanks.. i'm normally in a rush in the mornings..!! I will though take your advice.. next time im in the desert i'll give it a go with my own 'straight'

http://www.helstongunsmiths.com/shop/images/SA80_bayonet_parts_000.jpg

on_the_jazz
30th June, 2009, 01:17 AM
YouTube - Shaving with a camping knife!

on_the_jazz
30th June, 2009, 01:20 AM
YouTube - Shaving with a Japanese Machete

xant14
30th June, 2009, 01:23 AM
Lol where's my swiss army knife

opsmonkey
30th June, 2009, 01:24 AM
hardcore.. better if he'd used my bayonet though and not a weedy pocket knife

Edit---- I'll take that back now ive seen vid 2.. nutter

chroma
30th June, 2009, 05:30 AM
Straight razor user here too. I just got annoyed with having to replace the mach3 blades and the general lack of control. Opsmonkey you should try a straight and see if it copes better with your beard.
The only issue with it is the expenses start mounting up. Soon you'll want another blade, then a bettter brush, a better strop, maybe a waterstone or 2. Before you know it you're spending more than you spent on the mach3's. Great fun though :p

B?ker - Your Knife Made In Solingen (http://www.boker.de/us/index.php?c=79,1,&a=140500DAM&p=&pp=0)
WANT
Damascus steel is so damned expensice though, and i would be too scared to shave with anything that cost more than the car i drive.

zaphodbb
30th June, 2009, 06:11 AM
razors hmmm, well i used to get all these fancy razors at xmas same as any other bloke but then you have to go hunting round for replacement blades for the ~~~~ers and they are very expensive, well thank god when i moved here the annual razor presents stopped and my razor of choice is a bog standard non swivel head, single blade, no battery's, bic disposable. shite i hear you cry but sorry i can buy them anywhere pack of 5 for 1.15 euro get about three shaves from each then bin it sorted, and no packing required got them in most places in the world, strange this thread was clearing out boxes a few days ago and found two mach three razors they went straight in the bin...... shite :roflmao:

xant14
21st January, 2011, 10:32 AM
oh the fusion razors are amazing - so smoove

Not smooth for the boyfriend when you pinch HIS to do your lady bits... and NOT tell him!
Anyway Lianie.. The Fusion is a mans razor, why do you think tiger woods and johny wilkinson are used to advertise it?
I am sure there is a pink version out there somewhere, with 2 or 3 blades lol.

RedSpider
21st January, 2011, 11:11 AM
I loved my mach 3 when i first got it and then the mach 3 power came along. both razors used virtually the same razor heads but the M3 power blades cost about a quid more than normal M3 blades.
I imagine that a good many men also noticed this and simply bought M3 blades for their M3 power.
Gillette knew this and this is the sole reason why i believe they have redesigned the razor heads for the fusion - to skank us- to give us no choice but to pay nigh on 10 squiddlies for 4 blades.

razor blades are the one of, if not the most shoplifted item in the western world. this should suggest to gillette and all them other ~~~~ers that men are happy with their products but want cheaper blades. how do they react to this? they devise a stupid plastic box that makes the theft of blades more difficult and whack up the prices of all their blades.

i do love my fusion though... mmmm... smoooothe

Dreamer
21st January, 2011, 11:38 AM
Not smooth for the boyfriend when you pinch HIS to do your lady bits... and NOT tell him!
Anyway Lianie.. The Fusion is a mans razor, why do you think tiger woods and johny wilkinson are used to advertise it?
I am sure there is a pink version out there somewhere, with 2 or 3 blades lol.

oh there is a pink version it costs about twice the price because it's pink!! yes how ~~~~ing stupid do we look?
We just use the man ones and sometimes we even let you have the first shot lol

Grizz
21st January, 2011, 12:03 PM
Straight all the way, like Chroma said, after your initial investment(for top quality), its gravy all the way. in this world of safety this, safety that, its nice to walk on the wild side and have a blade that will split a hair in 2 up against your jugular and laugh at the danger.
http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/compdiff/shaving.jpg

xant14
21st January, 2011, 06:52 PM
I went in Asda yesterday, was in desperate need of a Fusion blade, but ?21 for 8.. ~~~~ that.
I ended up buying a wilkinson sword Hydro3, complete with 2 blades for ?3. And I just love the sticker on the front.. 'NEW .. SHAVES BETTER THAN MACH3' And it does.

Straight all the way, like Chroma said, after your initial investment(for top quality), its gravy all the way. in this world of safety this, safety that, its nice to walk on the wild side and have a blade that will split a hair in 2 up against your jugular and laugh at the danger.
http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/compdiff/shaving.jpg

And you still wouldn't get on the Ryanair flight with just hand luggage.

Lainie
21st January, 2011, 09:04 PM
jeeso you drag this thread up again after 18 months lol. i have a pink one and a blue one and both bought at half price when they were on offer. no sure if i should say this but here goes (omg) the pink one vibrates!!!!!!!!!!

skywash
21st January, 2011, 09:27 PM
ooh lainie you naughty naughty girl lol

nara
21st January, 2011, 10:19 PM
i have a pink one and a blue one and both bought at half price when they were on offer.

..at Ann Summers? :embarassed:

patkins
21st January, 2011, 10:38 PM
The fusion was a really great shave when I got it as a pressy for Christmas 2009 and used it sparingly keeping it for special occasions for a complete shave.
Both blades got blunt late 2010 and I was aware that new cartridges were expensive so I ~~~~ed it there and went back to the old style blade.
I agree with xant and the cost of replacement blades is downright robbery for something that is mass produced.

johnboy1974
25th January, 2011, 10:20 PM
dont know what it is but my fusion blade lasts me at least a month and i shave every two days.

RedSpider
25th January, 2011, 10:36 PM
dont know what it is but my fusion blade lasts me at least a month and i shave every two days.

is it because you grow hair on your face like a girl? lol