PDA

View Full Version : XBMC - do we have members who use this gear..?

caveman_nige
27th August, 2014, 10:25 AM
I have been using the XBMC kit on and off for the last ten years stemming from the original XBox which was modified to be a media centre... Now they no longer use that platform as such although i still have mine and it works very well considering its age but it no longer has the tech to do what the modern xbmc stuff does thesedays...

I have been playing around with a couple of xbmc gadgets over the last couple of years and my current M8 kit is great... I know there are plenty of dedicated sites to the xbmc but DK was initially created around the cable and satellite tv areas of interest so it could be worth adding xbmc if there is enough of a following here on DK...

So any other users...?

zaphodbb
27th August, 2014, 11:03 AM
I have been using the XBMC kit on and off for the last ten years stemming from the original XBox which was modified to be a media centre... Now they no longer use that platform as such although i still have mine and it works very well considering its age but it no longer has the tech to do what the modern xbmc stuff does thesedays...

I have been playing around with a couple of xbmc gadgets over the last couple of years and my current M8 kit is great... I know there are plenty of dedicated sites to the xbmc but DK was initially created around the cable and satellite tv areas of interest so it could be worth adding xbmc if there is enough of a following here on DK...

So any other users...?

Im in, i have been using xbmc for a few years now and i love it so im always willing to help or learn stuff. i think the first thing would be getting around the isp blocking in the UK, but i live in greece so we dont have that problem so that would be a good start dont you think nige

Cod3waX
27th August, 2014, 04:34 PM
i use my 360 for streaming videos over the network also using Serviio to handle the formats that xbox can't (mkv)

cushty
27th August, 2014, 07:59 PM
been looking at getting the m8 caveman how are they, picture quality etc

wulbert2001
27th August, 2014, 08:29 PM
i use xbmc on my mx android tv box great bit of kit.

caveman_nige
28th August, 2014, 10:38 AM
been looking at getting the m8 caveman how are they, picture quality etc

i think they are great.. mine sits by the telly on my home wifi, router is upstairs, and i get full HD streams without an issue... they are 4k ready and have an octocore GPU so the picture is very crisp...

etch
28th August, 2014, 10:46 AM
I too have been using XBMC for a few years now and I for one will be really keen to see a separate section on this forum for XBMC (soon to be named Kodi). With XBMC getting more and more popular and that there is now a fully working XBMC addon for enigma 2 satellite boxes, i think it will be a great addition to what is an already fantastic forum.

griff
28th August, 2014, 10:24 PM
Just been looking into xbmc. Got a mx to play with and learn, but the m8 looks good. Do u have any probs with them nige ??
A new section would be good for people like me for advise and repos

roblfcx5
29th August, 2014, 08:22 PM
Yes i think i will opt for a m8 box and pass the droid player box I've just bought to a family member
I'm new to xmbc although its been going for some time, ive been using enigma2 box for my entertainment sports ect for a gd while now, I've used it to watch ice films to but there wasn't enough memory in box to cope kept crashing, , as etch said there's now a working xmbc add on for sat boxes :)

fatbob46
30th August, 2014, 04:30 PM
I'd be interested as well, currently using it on my mac, but will have a look at the M8 box as well. I think XBMC handles streaming your own content a lot better than Plex, which seems to use transcoding for everything.
The Live TV add-on works well with my E2 box too.

cactikid
30th August, 2014, 11:10 PM
yes could do with some help also with a sumvision cyclone android as i fell asleep in setting it up months ago lol,looked at amiko a3 he called it like the spark2 also running sat running frodo 12.2 i think how times and apps have changed.

roblfcx5
31st August, 2014, 11:25 AM
Was looking yesterday at the m8s on you tube, they look decent & quick, I was confused about xmbc, as androidsticks uk
Claim to have a different xmbc installed on there devices there own they say & push updates to ur box for life, can anyone confirm this Is true or is there only 1 kind of xmbc.
I'm thinking its more of a advertisement.

mrecko
31st August, 2014, 11:50 AM
yes there are alot of different versions of xbmc, arm processors,amlogic and so on, i have went through quiet a few boxes at this stage but the m8 does look pretty good just be carefull of clones i have been caught a few times with clones and it is very hard to get a working version of xbmc on them, i recently got an old pc from work upgraded the ram and graphics card installed openelec a linux version of xbmc which only boots to xbmc thats it, and it works like a dream very fast, handles 1080 streaming not a glitch 3d too, in my honest opinion it smashes all the boxes and dongles, i use it more than my sat box its that good,i could not live without it, if anyone has any trouble setting it up just ask!!

mrecko
31st August, 2014, 12:04 PM
Was looking yesterday at the m8s on you tube, they look decent & quick, I was confused about xmbc, as androidsticks uk
Claim to have a different xmbc installed on there devices there own they say & push updates to ur box for life, can anyone confirm this Is true or is there only 1 kind of xmbc.
I'm thinking its more of a advertisement.
you ar right,they do not have a special version for there box thats bull sh1t, like i said there are certain versions that work well with certain boxes or dongles, its like the sat boxes better boxes have better support...

roblfcx5
1st September, 2014, 07:30 PM
If you was to buy a m8 box from Aliexpress would it be any different as from a UK seller, would the box from China have the UK freeview on & the updated add ons as advertised by UK sellers ??

Kalipo
1st September, 2014, 08:04 PM
I'm a plex user myself, I use this because XBMC isn't supported on my smart telly and Roku. I've left the satellite scene as i'm not viewing anything but my own media..

Would it be better to combine the 2 (XBMC + PLEX) to maximise the use of the forum!

McrRed
1st September, 2014, 08:20 PM
I use Plex through my NowTV box occasionally but XBMC/Kodi is the dog's nads. Would welcome tips and tricks on here.

Eg anyone know how to automatically download episodes (eg identify episode in trakt or imdb on phone then box automatically does the rest)?
Ps I know you can do it through newsgroups but I don't have a provider...

Kalipo
1st September, 2014, 08:31 PM
I use Plex through my NowTV box occasionally but XBMC/Kodi is the dog's nads. Would welcome tips and tricks on here.

Eg anyone know how to automatically download episodes (eg identify episode in trakt or imdb on phone then box automatically does the rest)?
Ps I know you can do it through newsgroups but I don't have a provider...

I use Rss Shows website.. create and account.. add shows to your watch list.. generate the URL..

I copy and paste this into utorrent and use the rss downloader..

Add your shows, from the episode you'd like and it auto downloads..

saves having to download game of thrones.. simply turn the telly on in the morning, its downloaded and plex has already added it to the library and downloaded the show info.. :)

McrRed
1st September, 2014, 09:24 PM
That's what I was after. Cheers mate.

See? I told you this was a good idea

Kalipo
2nd September, 2014, 06:45 PM
np, if you need help let us know ;)

johnna2112
2nd September, 2014, 06:49 PM
had a android box, to much messing about for me lol, just got chromecast, works fine for showbox from your phone & if you want to watch the football just open it in google chrome & cast the tab, no problems at all, can also cast movies from putlocker, flixanity , only 30 quid ( although its gone down in price now, 18 quid at tescos )

tempo123
3rd September, 2014, 03:39 PM
hi all, i recently bought an android mx box on ebay from a uk seller with xbmc preinstalled without any addon, I found a few youtube easy videos that helped me setting things up and i'm quite please now that everything is working (navi, icefilm etcetc), I have also tried iptv payservers connected to the box and steameda few live tv channelsin hd, not bad, cheap and good results.

bigfella
3rd September, 2014, 08:15 PM
yes there are alot of different versions of xbmc, arm processors,amlogic and so on, i have went through quiet a few boxes at this stage but the m8 does look pretty good just be carefull of clones i have been caught a few times with clones and it is very hard to get a working version of xbmc on them, i recently got an old pc from work upgraded the ram and graphics card installed openelec a linux version of xbmc which only boots to xbmc thats it, and it works like a dream very fast, handles 1080 streaming not a glitch 3d too, in my honest opinion it smashes all the boxes and dongles, i use it more than my sat box its that good,i could not live without it, if anyone has any trouble setting it up just ask!!......

i d love to learn how to put linux version of xmbc on ..........some lad i kno , buys androids boxes cyclones i think ..wipes them and put s a linux system on them and runs xbmc ...he swears they re much better than the normal andriod systems ..no buffering at all ....i d love to learn how to do this ...any links or help would be much appreciated......ok i ve read a bit about openelec and this sounds like the o/s might be used on the wiped andriods boxes ????? ....is openlec as gd as the lad i kno says it is
/better than the andriod version???

etch
4th September, 2014, 08:26 AM

i d love to learn how to put linux version of xmbc on ..........some lad i kno , buys androids boxes cyclones i think ..wipes them and put s a linux system on them and runs xbmc ...he swears they re much better than the normal andriod systems ..no buffering at all ....i d love to learn how to do this ...any links or help would be much appreciated......ok i ve read a bit about openelec and this sounds like the o/s might be used on the wiped andriods boxes ????? ....is openlec as gd as the lad i kno says it is
/better than the andriod version???

If it is only XBMC you want to run on your box then linux is probably the way to go, however i have a few android boxes of my own which run without any problem. Also running android gives you much more than just XBMC as there are lots of apps that can be loaded onto it as well as searching the web etc if needed.

I am no expert so if you need more guidance on this matter i recommend you visit here XBMC HUB FORUMS (http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/) as there are people on there that will help you and guide you through your various options.

bigfella
7th September, 2014, 12:00 AM
i think a xmbc section of it s own would be a good idea esp as people are turnin away from the cable side and cc as bein unreliable

Celtictiger
8th September, 2014, 11:29 PM
XBMC can be loaded across most firmware platforms and a great piece of software. I have it loaded on my jail broken iPad and Airplay over wifi to my AppleTV to watch on my TV. To get the best viewing content, I recommend loading the following add-ons Navi-X, Mashup, 1Channel, ProjectFreeTV.

roblfcx5
9th September, 2014, 09:25 AM
Is it possible to install xmbc onto a Samsung smart TV ?

gmb45
9th September, 2014, 09:28 AM
doubtful m8 with these smart tvs what you see is normally what you get, might be wrong but dont think so, plenty of cheap android boxes about that you can tho.

Kalipo
10th September, 2014, 11:13 PM
Is it possible to install xmbc onto a Samsung smart TV ?

No but you can install plex.. have a look ;)

xant14
14th September, 2014, 07:37 PM
Just to say, I am interested in this topic. I would love to see an XBMC forum on here Caveman Nig.
Some good replies, and alternatives also been suggested which tickles my fancy.
Oh and not seen any posts from big fella in like forever.. he was very prominent when I first came into here six years ago. Welcome back Bigfella...

Galee
14th September, 2014, 07:57 PM
I agree xbmc section would be great come on mods let's get this started!😀

kianniamh
22nd September, 2014, 04:04 PM
My new toy is an mbox running gotham on linux, so would welcome a new section. istream is the way to go on it especially with its imdb list update in real time. No more downloading (which is one of the reasons I bought it) and the complete series links are there to stream to your hearts content. Good for the footy too @3pm. :)

andy91
22nd September, 2014, 04:22 PM
Was having a look at a few android boxes. Saw the MINIX NEO X8-H box which has good specs. Is there much to gain spending more on an android box?
Already have Plex running on a Nowtv box with film server.
Andy.

pfj_official
22nd September, 2014, 04:57 PM
Yeah, best getting a half decent one that can handle streaming well. Also, you can use for playing games and emulators and run apps on it too. I've xbmc on all my android devices.

bigfella
25th September, 2014, 05:36 PM
ok , bought a nano slim plus from amazon for 43 pounds with the intention of wiping it and put a clear linux system on it rather the 'bloated ' andriod linux system already installed , downloaded a tutorial and downloaded the linux o/s suitable for the nano on a usb stick ready to go but tried the andriod system on it and tbh couldnt fault it ....using homeplugs btw not wireless.....downloaded xbmc and configured it ....loads of you tubes video s available to help .... found it so simple , i cant understand why more people arent doing it .....great selection of tele box sets and movies to view, i tend not to bother with any cam links stick to dvd rips to h d quality.... id reccommend the add on s ,mash up ..ice ...genesis ..navi x ..movie 25 and sports devil, although the sly one football links arent the best but watchable (am workin on this tho ). i ve also installed catch up tv on it so i can watch t v in the bed room where i can rid of the indoor portable ariel and assiocated wires . now i know a little more i wish i d bought a quad core but tbh for 40 quid cant fault it as i m only using it for movies and tele box sets . might give to a family member and get myself a quad core .....but which one ????? ....c mon mods let get a xmbc section on my favourite forum started.

cushty
25th September, 2014, 07:35 PM
just bought an m8 linux quad core running gotham still getting to grips with it but very impressed up to now

johnboy1974
26th September, 2014, 10:22 AM
Xbmc runs great on jailbroken idevices, there's a tutorial on how to do it in the iPhone and ipad section on here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Diddy
27th September, 2014, 01:28 PM
I just use a Raspberri PI with Openelec on it. I actually use an already compile version by User/Dev Open Eleq.....lots of goodies on his builds with tons of options to enhance the experience. Just google the user OpenEleq and you will find him on one of the xbmc forums. My PI is set up using a class 6 sd card and a USB3 memory stick....this works out MUCH faster and smoother than just using the SD card. Coupled with my little blue tooth keyboard RII im happy as a pig in......
Also there are a few new addons on the block these days which are brilliant. Chack out Genisis and S.A.L.T.S which is a brilliant beta stage addon.....Going to be the way forward these two addons. Both use TrakTv website (Which you should sign up for). Both addons allow you to choose your favorites in the TrakTV website and gives you the chance to watch your TV series ect and reminds you which episode is next ect. It even can be set up to auto play the next episode until you tell it to stop....great for those who like to watch 4-5 episodes in a viewing session.

Hoppy01
2nd October, 2014, 06:22 PM
XBMC is a brilliant program when you get your head around it, I have used it in a few different ways on older PC's, USB pens, XBMCbuntu etc . It would be great to have a section dedicated to it .

aftermath
2nd October, 2014, 07:14 PM
seen a few posts mentioning android boxes, take a look at this little beaut for ?87 free delivery it has xbmc, and loads more, might invest in one myself as i already got the x treamer prodigy Xtreamer Wonder - What is (http://www.xtreamer.net/Wonder/)

xant14
3rd October, 2014, 08:07 AM
seen a few posts mentioning android boxes, take a look at this little beaut for ?87 free delivery it has xbmc, and loads more, might invest in one myself as i already got the x treamer prodigy Xtreamer Wonder - What is (http://www.xtreamer.net/Wonder/)

Hurry up and get one then AM, then you can tell us all about it. :)

JPedrosa
18th October, 2014, 11:06 AM
One more,
for the XBMC users "group".

I've been using for some years now.
Lately i've been using it on my Raspberry B model.

Two main OS's:
Raspbmc (http://www.raspbmc.com/)
PiPplware - A distro Pplware para o Raspberry PI | Pplware (http://pplware.sapo.pt/pipplware/)

Great litle device, along with XBMC it does a great job for Full HD.

Hope to see a dual core or quad core in a near future, maybe in a one year timeframe.

jessiebot
18th October, 2014, 01:53 PM
yeh i use a mx android box for xbmc,works a treat.

ben19710
18th October, 2014, 08:55 PM
Been using it for 5 years only over the last couple has it got upto speed , can get a good quad core mx3 box , anyone needs any help let me know , can get pretty much anything that's out there , so easy to set up , perfect sly sports if u know where to look

bobwill
9th November, 2014, 04:55 PM
My internet has only been fast enough to run XBMC in the spring so I put XBMC on to my imac and found it a bit confusing to get every thing to work like live TV etc I then found TVMC a program from tv addons which has done most of the setting up for you and gets on fine with that. about a month ago I bought a Android Quadcore XBMC fully loaded box with Kit Kat 4.4 rooted HD tv movie box for under ?60 with free post of fleabay and it works fine .