PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood DNX headunits w/ Garmin

CoccoBill
30th June, 2009, 08:39 PM
Anyone else here with a Kenwood navi? I have a Kenwood DNX5240BT car headunit with integrated Garmin navigation. Will the City Navigator Europe NT v2010.10 maps work with it, and if so, how should I do the update?

CoccoBill
7th July, 2009, 08:15 PM
Well after a lot of googling and a bit of trial and error, here goes:

Ingredients:
- mini-USB to USB cable
- Garmin USB Drivers (Garmin: USB Drivers Updates & Downloads (http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591))
- laptop

Recipe:
- turn off the headunit and pull it out of the dash
- connect the mini-USB in the socket on the back where the manual says "DO NOT CONNECT ANYTHING" :P
- install the garmin usb drivers on the laptop
- turn on headunit and connect the USB cable to the laptop
- the headunit will ask you to choose between "Kenwood mode" and "mass storage mode", select mass storage
- the headunit's 2GB internal memory will be visible on the laptop

Now go ahead and copy over the new map over the existing Garmin\gmapsupp.img, copy new POIs under Garmin\POI, vehicle icons under Garmin\vehicle, voices under Garmin\Voices, etc...

CoccoBill
12th July, 2009, 11:16 AM
Additionally, if you select "Kenwood mode" instead, you can use Garmin WebUpdater on the laptop.

Be sure to save a LOT of time for the updates, the USB connection is incredibly slow (around 200-400kB/s most of the time), so copying over a 1.6GB map file is gonna take about an hour and a half. You might even want to do the update during a bit longer trip so you make sure not to drain the battery.

slklite
11th July, 2010, 02:54 PM
Hi, thank you for enlightening us about this !!!

Could you tell me which one I should get ? (img or mapsource ?)

Thank you.

Best regards !!!

chiefcamaro
29th July, 2010, 09:16 PM
Hi all,

Need help.

Cannot see/explore my 5240bt.

Installed drivers as scribed.
Tried several notebooks, no succes

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
John

motocarlos
23rd August, 2010, 07:34 PM
Hi all,

Need help.

Cannot see/explore my 5240bt.

Installed drivers as scribed.
Tried several notebooks, no succes

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
John
hello,
anyone know how to update the maps fro the gps unit kenwood dv 3200 i have the cdrom with the kna mp328, i im looking for the 329, anyone can help me??

Regards

eleksound
18th January, 2013, 06:00 PM
kenwood kdcw413u protect
plz help me.....