PDA

View Full Version : Pls suggest which box to buy (Slybox F3 packed up)

spdude1
9th September, 2014, 03:03 PM
My F3 decided to call it quits after almost 2 years. All was working fine and then one day it froze and the wife pulled the mains plug to reboot it :blue:. It refuses to start up now.

Havent been keeping up with the market for some timenow hence donno which ones are popular out there these days.

I can pay up to ?100 if there is some product out there which could provide some extra services like apps (xbmc or similar) or catchup tv loaded on to it apart from my cccam gift.

Suggestions welcome folks..!!

Thanks in Advance

Passive
9th September, 2014, 03:32 PM
My F3 decided to call it quits after almost 2 years. All was working fine and then one day it froze and the wife pulled the mains plug to reboot it :blue:. It refuses to start up now.

Havent been keeping up with the market for some timenow hence donno which ones are popular out there these days.

I can pay up to ?100 if there is some product out there which could provide some extra services like apps or catchup tv loaded on to it.

Suggestions welcome folks..!!

Thanks in Advance

The most likely cause for your failed F3 is dodgy capacitors on the power supply.

Only a couple of quid to replace them for decent ones if you can do a bit of soldering, or complete replacement power boards are available for about a tenner.

I've just swapped out the caps on an X3 after it failed to pick up a few channels (BBC News HD etc), and looking at the state of those caps, I'm amazed it was picking ANYTHING up at all! (bulging top and bottom on six of them).

It's just a thought before you splash out, unless you really want to upgrade of course :smile:

spdude1
9th September, 2014, 03:45 PM
The most likely cause for your failed F3 is dodgy capacitors on the power supply.

Only a couple of quid to replace them for decent ones if you can do a bit of soldering, or complete replacement power boards are available for about a tenner.

I've just swapped out the caps on an X3 after it failed to pick up a few channels (BBC News HD etc), and looking at the state of those caps, I'm amazed it was picking ANYTHING up at all! (bulging top and bottom on six of them).

It's just a thought before you splash out, unless you really want to upgrade of course :smile:

Thanks for the suggestion Passive but I dont have the skills to do it, plus had been toying with the idea of upgrading for a while now. There are probably quite a few new toys out there by now..!! but its hard to keep up these days so I would appreciate if you have any suggestions for a new box in my price range. :-)

Passive
9th September, 2014, 04:03 PM
I'll leave the suggestions for an upgrade to more knowledgeable folk here on the forums, I'm sure they'll come up with something.

Only reason for the earlier suggestion is that it really pee's me off to see kit scrapped for the sake of crappy capacitors!.

DVD players / recorders, sat boxes, PVRs etc... the amount of stuff I've bought back to life just because of these components is amazing (over 90% of my repairs). Just done a wonderful Sony Midi HiFi for my bro (bought at a boot sale for ?2, totally dead)... ONE dodgy capacitor.... 28p!.

amcdmc1
9th September, 2014, 04:52 PM
I'm in a similar position, ie looking for a sub ?100 box and have seen the spiderbox 6000 (?60 ish) and the amiko alien (?85 ish) Both on fleabay.Anybody any thoughts on these two ? The spiderbox does look easier to set up, but the amiko is Linux based.

spdude1
10th September, 2014, 12:16 PM
I'm in a similar position, ie looking for a sub ?100 box and have seen the spiderbox 6000 (?60 ish) and the amiko alien (?85 ish) Both on fleabay.Anybody any thoughts on these two ? The spiderbox does look easier to set up, but the amiko is Linux based.

Hello amcdmc1 ....seems the veterans are either too busy or we are asking really dumb questions..!!! :-)

I have shortlisted the cloud Ibox 2 plus and Amiko alien shb 8900....what does your research say..??

Can you share your conclusion pls if you have made up your mind..?

Cheers

amcdmc1
10th September, 2014, 02:10 PM
Hi spdude 1 hmm, you've thrown a spanner in the works there with the cloud ibox 2 plus.
I've not considered that one, need to do a bit of research there, although first impressions are looking good at the price (?65 ish). Just need to find out what the support is like for it.
I'll have a little dig around and report back. Does anyone else care to help out ??

spdude1
10th September, 2014, 03:51 PM
Icloud Ibox does have lot of support out there. Dedicated forums out there.

sexysam
10th September, 2014, 11:30 PM
DM800 hd for around ?140.....its one of the best boxes.. Easy to use and relaible

spdude1
11th September, 2014, 02:03 PM
I have taken the leap and ordered cloud ibox 2 plus from amazon... Let's see how it goes. This forum does not seem to have much support for them but there's one called tech kings who have some good guides and tuts for it.

amcdmc1
11th September, 2014, 06:26 PM
I have taken the leap and ordered cloud ibox 2 plus from amazon... Let's see how it goes. This forum does not seem to have much support for them but there's one called tech kings who have some good guides and tuts for it.

I''ve seen one on ebay for ?69.99 fully loaded. might take a punt myself. My head has been battered for the last few weeks trying to decide which one to go for.
Please report back when you get it and let me know what it's like to set up.

spdude1
16th September, 2014, 10:28 AM
Amcdmc1 its been 4 days now since I got my cloud ibox 2+ and its quite complicated compared to skybox. After a lot research I am starting to understanding it now and can tell you that it is quite advanced to openbox and has many extras.

amcdmc1
16th September, 2014, 10:50 AM
Amcdmc1 its been 4 days now since I got my cloud ibox 2+ and its quite complicated compared to skybox. After a lot research I am starting to understanding it now and can tell you that it is quite advanced to openbox and has many extras.

Hi spdude1, mine is due to arrive today (yes, I've ordered the same box) so hopefully I will be able to have a play tonight. I believe you have to set some of it up remotely from a pc, which software did you use for this ?

spdude1
16th September, 2014, 10:55 AM
Hi spdude1, mine is due to arrive today (yes, I've ordered the same box) so hopefully I will be able to have a play tonight. I believe you have to set some of it up remotely from a pc, which software did you use for this ?

i used filezilla, its easy and free.

You will need it to ******* to the box

Note to MOD: Sorry for earlier..!! It means the same .. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussions about cardsharing are not allowed, including, but not limited to, CCcam, Oscam, MGcamd, Gbox, Mbox, etc....
Discussions about servers,clines etc will be edited or removed.
no asking for lines.

PremierD
16th September, 2014, 10:58 AM
And you mate need to read the p***in :rulez: