PDA

View Full Version : Stuck DM500 S

frere1
18th September, 2014, 01:52 AM
I have a DM500 S which hasn't been used for many many months and, when switched on, the screen shows Darkstar ll and after a few secs says 'please wait while starting ccCam 2.1.3' for a few more secs - and then freezes.

I've been reading about commando and would like to try and upgrade to that but I'm old & dim these days.
Can some kind soul start me off with a url to some simple instructions on how to just change the image first so it will start.

I've downloaded commando 15 with its helpfiles but they don't cover the first steps.
I've also downloaded dreamup and Dreambox Control Centre (is there anything I've missed)

Will a tp-link WN821 usb wireless dongle work in it, if I get it started?

I don't know its mac address or IP address and I have a null modem cable which arrived yesterday.
I'm in my mid 70's now so I hope you'll be patient.

Thanks in anticipation

psats
18th September, 2014, 09:38 AM
there is plenty of info if you read through the forum and use the search function.

read here this is a starter for you

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f213/guide-flashing-dreambox-dreamup-42950/

frere1
18th September, 2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks psats

There's too much stuff here these days haha... I tried one using serial port and after erase I got "Found no valid jffs2 in image, flash erase not supported"

Uploading file to box

That was using dreamup and commando 15_dm500_Release.img

I've no idea what to do next...

But dreamup does and has then flashed from memory. gr8.

frere1
18th September, 2014, 12:34 PM
ok I think I still have a problem.

I've flashed once with eraser Img 500-56x0 and 3 times with commander 15 using twice with dreamup 1_3_3_9 and once with 1_3_2_1.

Each time it transfers file then flashes it and reports success.
When I connect to TV, after switching off, the screen shows commander 15 logo and 'loading'. it then flickers a bit and the screen goes blank.

The remote has no effect on the set, even after changing to new batteries.

Does anyone know what should happen, at this point, so I can tell if it's commander, the set or the remote.

plasterer
18th September, 2014, 03:32 PM
Try taking the top off the box and push all the ribbons on securely
Your remote should work then ,.................Paul

piopat
18th September, 2014, 05:34 PM
I have a DM500 S which hasn't been used for many many months and, when switched on, the screen shows Darkstar ll and after a few secs says 'please wait while starting ccCam 2.1.3' for a few more secs - and then freezes.

I've been reading about commando and would like to try and upgrade to that but I'm old & dim these days.
Can some kind soul start me off with a url to some simple instructions on how to just change the image first so it will start.

I've downloaded commando 15 with its helpfiles but they don't cover the first steps.
I've also downloaded dreamup and Dreambox Control Centre (is there anything I've missed)

Will a tp-link WN821 usb wireless dongle work in it, if I get it started?

I don't know its mac address or IP address and I have a null modem cable which arrived yesterday.
I'm in my mid 70's now so I hope you'll be patient.

Thanks in anticipation

the first thing to know here is that a dm500s has a small memory capacity , it can strictly speaking hold two images one flashed over the other but ideally you should erase the old image / s before you flash the box again . that way you ensure the box memory is not full , if the memory gets full the box wont function . do a flash erase before reflashing is very important .

also you should use an older version of dreamup such as 1.3.2.1 that is designed to work with a dm500s , that will have a flash erase option just above the flash option . perform a flash erase atleast twice to ensure the box memory is clear , then try to flash as normal using the guide psats gave you .

even if your remote had a problem that wouldnt stop the box displaying a picture or the box menus , check that the scart cable hasnt worked loose or is faulty in some way . there are other tv connections on the rear of the box , you will see a yellow /white and red connectors if your tv has those same connectors you can connect the box to the tv that way ,dm500s boxes usually come with the cable for this .

frere1
18th September, 2014, 07:05 PM
ok I've checked the ribbons and again: flash erased - installed blank flash - flash erased - Flashed commando 15 (dreamup again erased first)
repeated with commando 15c and then 14-7. Each time it just hangs with no response even after an hour. One leaves vertical bars over the lower half of screen for 20 mins before swich off.

Could you suggest the simplest image that should work with the DM500s and the url please just to try before admitting defeat.
Please assume this is a clone as I don't know for sure.

piopat
19th September, 2014, 02:42 PM
i recommend downloading the image from another download source , also to rule out a problem with commando try a different image , i recommend pli image . you dont have to flase the erase image file , just clicking on flash erase a time or two should suffice .