PDA

View Full Version : Vista slow to shut down ??

Saltire
17th June, 2008, 11:47 PM
ive noticed since installing vista that sometime when shutting the pc down it takes a few minutes, ive noticed a lot and have reinstalled vista a few times too.

I keep the machine defrag and cleaned up with file cleaners etc plus there aint nuffin running in the background accept the usual internet security.

anyone and ideas how to speed shutdown up ??? or has anyone else got similar prob ?

Devilfish
18th June, 2008, 12:02 AM
Maybe one of your drivers/programs is not shutting downor maybe ur system is configured to delete the pagefile on shutdown or even do some task like clear up cache on shutdown...

To REALLY reduce your shutdown time. Start Regedit. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control. Click on the "Control" Folder. Select "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" Right click on it and select Modify. the default value is ( i think) 12000. Setting it to a lower 4 digit value,( say 6000) will make your PC shutdown faster, but you could end up losing data, so use this tweak cautiously.

Windows Vista Tips, Tweaks, Tricks.! (http://www.winvistaclub.com/tips.html) may help u.

Saltire
18th June, 2008, 03:53 AM
cheers mate, default is 20000 on vista, i set it to 5000 and its working a treat :) cheers.
I read on websites that some things just need a few secs to sort themselfs out so thats why i set it to 5000 = 5 secs, better being safe, but it sure is better than before man waiting for ages, sometimes it took a minute or two, not now though, well i will keep my eye on it and see, lol, i see some peeps set it to 1000 = 1 second, i think that may just be asking for probs though, eh

<--Thomson added 46 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...-->

infact i just tried a few settings and ive went down to minimum 1000 = 1 second, and thats even better, no problems at all :) :):)