PDA

View Full Version : Health and safety let our dad die

gmb45
6th July, 2009, 04:40 AM
A GRANDAD lay dying of a heart attack in his home ? while a paramedic stood outside for 16 minutes filling in risk-assessment forms.

And last night Roy Adams?s heartbroken daughter Sarah claimed he would still be alive if there had not been a delay.

She added: ?It?s awful. The medic could have saved my dad but instead he stood outside for 16 minutes. All that crucial time was wasted.?

A senior police source said: ?The actions of this paramedic need to be looked into.? And the ambulance service confirmed it had launched a probe into the incident.

Scotland Yard chauffeur Roy, 60, had dialled 999 from his home complaining of breathing problems and chest pains late at night.

He was told by the operator to leave his front door open so an ambulance crew could get in quickly.

But a lone rapid-response medic, who arrived just six minutes later saw the open door and feared a burglary was in progress.

So he stayed on the doorstep carrying out a risk assessment exercise for 15 minutes to decide whether it was safe to help Mr Adams before eventually calling cops for back-up.

Then SIXTEEN MINUTES after arriving at the house in Morden, South London, the medic decided to go inside and found dad-of-two Mr Adams not breathing in a front room. He was dead by the time he reached hospital.

Daughter Sarah said: ?What safety concerns were so great this man couldn?t help? My dad told the operator he couldn?t breath. He was dying.

?Before collapsing, he left the door on the latch as instructed so they could get in.

?We need an urgent explanation. We loved Dad so much. Our world is a dark place.?

A London Ambulance spokesman said: ?We were called at 0.14am to a residential address in Morden.

?The first member of our staff to arrive carried out a full on-scene risk assessment and requested police assistance due to safety concerns.?

After 16 minutes, added the spokesman, the paramedic decided to enter the property. Later, a second fast response vehicle, a full ambulance crew and a duty officer were sent.

The spokesman added: ?A man was taken to hospital. We are investigating the circumstances.?

forntida
6th July, 2009, 07:39 AM
What would you have done if you were in that situation. The door was left ajar instead of being just closed but unlocked. These paramedics carry drugs. they are being assaulted every day in the course of their duties.

So don't blame the ambulance man blame the low life scum that have put our country in this situation.:mad:

Lainie
6th July, 2009, 11:11 AM
while you are right in what you said forntida i dont think he needed to wait 16 mins to assess the situation. this man died and if it had been a relative of yours im sure you would have been equally upset, distressed and frustrated

chroma
6th July, 2009, 11:45 AM
Have you seen the biblical proportions to the paperwork? 16 mins was rapid response, a lesser paramedic would still be standing outside.

Streets filled with morons and scum, offices filled with beaurocrats who want paperwork filed in triplicate for just cracking out a fart during transit and idiotic insurance remits which prevent you from doing your job properly.

For instance i know a company that will insure firemen only if they avoid going into fires... the world has gone completely barmy.

billy2
6th July, 2009, 04:30 PM
What would you have done if you were in that situation. The door was left ajar instead of being just closed but unlocked. These paramedics carry drugs. they are being assaulted every day in the course of their duties.

So don't blame the ambulance man blame the low life scum that have put our country in this situation.

so if it was your mother or father would it be ok for them to stay out side for 16mins ????

forntida
6th July, 2009, 07:40 PM
so if it was your mother or father would it be ok for them to stay out side for 16mins ????

I have never said it would is ok for this to happen. I said don't blame the paramedic he was acting according to his instructions. Someone could have broke into that house and used the phone to lure paramedics there to rob them of drugs.

How would you feel if a relative was killed by a fire engine 'jumping' traffic lights? Would you say that was ok because they were attending a fire and ignoring the rules in the process? I don't think so.

Mr Pumpy
6th July, 2009, 08:38 PM
Its a difficult one isn't it..

On one hand its hard to blame the paramedic, he'll have had some right abuse thrown at him in the coarse of his work, and would you go storming in when there could be some drug addled numpty in there going through the drawers.

On the other hand if it was your close relative needing attention, you wouldn't want a paramedic waiting on the doorstep while a loved one is poorly inside.

Once again its the state of out society thats to blame.