PDA

View Full Version : McConnechy's Tyres

johnboy1974
1st November, 2014, 03:32 PM
A warning about this company.
My partner handed my private car into them yesterday(Friday) to check over my tyres, brake discs and pads. I knew the front tyres were right on the limit.
They gave me a bell saying the discs were ok but all four tyres needed replacement and the front brake pads also.
At 140 quid a tyre I told them to change the front tyres only, and gave the go ahead with the front pads and do the tracking as well.
When my partner went to get the motor back they told her to tell me to "get the back tyres changed urgently as if I was stopped by the police I would be in bother."
When she passed his message onto me I immediately checked the tread again on my back tyres. I felt there was plenty there and that they were ok with still a few thousand miles left on them.
I decide to get a second opinion from a retired police officer who is a family friend. Upon checking them he said they were absolutely fine and had between 3.5-4mm of tread left on them. The tyres which are Michelin actually have a wear indicated on them and you could clearly feel the tread was at least 2mm above the wear indicator. I also noticed my plastic covers for my wheel nuts were all missing too.
Pissed off I phoned them up this morning and they denied everything. Said they had no recollection of the conversation they had with my partner and insinuated she was lying. They said they definitely put the plastic wheel covers back on, so they must have fallen off as they couldn't have been tightened properly. I told them I was making a complaint and hung up.
Later this morning I took my car for a long drive and was troubled by a clunking noise from the nearside front. Upon investigation I discovered an led torch jammed in the spring of the strut. The guy must have left it there and forgot to remove it. I managed to get it out by jacking the motor up and taking the weight off the spring. Unbelievable!- be very very careful about using this company.

super jumbe
2nd November, 2014, 10:29 AM
Compensation time mate, time for solicitor to take it from hear….

cactikid
2nd November, 2014, 11:10 AM
just because wear limits are not reached yet does not mean tyres are safe ,are you a kerb crawler scuffing slits all kill tyres.odd place putting a light as 99% of cars dont have calipers at 12 oclock.

johnboy1974
2nd November, 2014, 01:48 PM
just because wear limits are not reached yet does not mean tyres are safe ,are you a kerb crawler scuffing slits all kill tyres.odd place putting a light as 99% of cars dont have calipers at 12 oclock.

I don't think you read the bit about the family friend mate.

Meat-Head
2nd November, 2014, 03:50 PM
Pig verses tire fitter. Just take to another tire shop.

cati kerb crawling. Tire wear????

cactikid
3rd November, 2014, 12:54 AM
ponder if police would know a bad tyre,as over here their own cars at times are in no fit state for driving on our roads lol