PDA

View Full Version : looking for a reliable download speed checker

Dreamer
19th June, 2008, 10:43 AM
I have a 2mb VM BB. I know you never get the 2mb speed but I don't think I'm getting anywhere near that.

I know there are a few sites that will do a speed check but I'm not sure if these are reliable.

I'm gonna call VM but I want to have as much info as I can that I can quote them so that they don't just fob me off, or tell me to call back once I've checked something and then I'll have to call back again and again.

aftermath
19th June, 2008, 10:59 AM
Here (http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/) you go dreamer

Elric
19th June, 2008, 01:32 PM
there is no reliable speedtest sites the only way to determine the speed
of your connection try d/load summat from newsgroups,also they could be doing maintenace in your area

i hope this helps...

mark015
24th June, 2008, 05:05 PM
I have a 2mb VM BB. I know you never get the 2mb speed but I don't think I'm getting anywhere near that.

I know there are a few sites that will do a speed check but I'm not sure if these are reliable.

I'm gonna call VM but I want to have as much info as I can that I can quote them so that they don't just fob me off, or tell me to call back once I've checked something and then I'll have to call back again and again.

try this one from ntl>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/testyourspeed/

thommo
24th June, 2008, 06:10 PM
there is no reliable speedtest sites

agreed 100%

speed test sites only show your speed to anyone of the servers you connect to on the speedtest site, in no way does this give you your speed it merly gives you your speed to the set server you,ve tested it on.

newsgroups does tend to be the best for testing speed.

Ham
25th June, 2008, 12:29 AM
I use this one:

My Broadband Speed - Broadband Speed Test from PlusNet (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/)

Femalelizzard
25th June, 2008, 12:33 AM
Im on a free 2mb and I get a steady 250kb download speed right near newcastle city centre though

thommo
25th June, 2008, 12:37 AM
if your getting crappy speeds check your firewall software too, i used to use kaspersky and that had a million addons for checking this and checking that and anti spam and anti hacker ect.... all it was doing in reality was killing my connection speed, i thought i was being given a dodgy service but it turns out i had the right speed and it was my software that slowed it down.

sometimes its not just down to the isp.

Femalelizzard
25th June, 2008, 12:52 AM
if your getting crappy speeds check your firewall software too, i used to use kaspersky and that had a million addons for checking this and checking that and anti spam and anti hacker ect.... all it was doing in reality was killing my connection speed, i thought i was being given a dodgy service but it turns out i had the right speed and it was my software that slowed it down.

sometimes its not just down to the isp.

kaspersky had to be the most overated junk ive ever used yes its safe 2 safe proper headache always needs attention I use trendmicro now and i think its the nuts i have a gen for 2008 security as well if anyone wants a go at it :smokin:

Dreamer
25th June, 2008, 09:45 PM
OK Guys many thanks for the help and suggestions. I checked the download speed and was getting less than 1Mb.

The problem has now been solved. It turns out that The setup I had would not allow 2mb but only 1mb. My router went through the telepest box. The box has a limit of 1mb so they have now told me. It would have been nice of VM to let me know that when they put the service up to 2MB!!!!
I do most of my downloading in work so It wasn't a big deal and I couldnt be bothered with the hassle of calling them. I did e-mail VM on this matter a couple of times but they didn't even respond. So I finally called their bb dept a couple of days ago and I got a mew modem sent through which I installed and activated tonight. I'm now getting 2mb.

I'm calling the customer services tomorrow to complain and get my service updated since I've not been getting the service I've been paying for.

smirnoff_rules
25th June, 2008, 09:48 PM
tell them to give u 20mb for a few months m8 and u will be happy with that ,, cost them nothing to up the speed for a bit

Dreamer
26th June, 2008, 10:20 AM
tell them to give u 20mb for a few months m8 and u will be happy with that ,, cost them nothing to up the speed for a bit

No luck there I'm afraid. I just spent the last 15 mins arguing with some Young "blond" girl. she said they can't upgrade the speed without charging extra I said "I'm sure you can if I told you I want to cancel my service",but she said she couldn't.

I did get a refund for the service I was supposed to be recieving since Nov. I need to check my paperwork cause I think the 2mb service came in before then.

When I quizzed her about the e-mails I had sent she replied. "I don't know where they go" You really need to call us if you have a problem. Why do they bother having an e-mail query form on their b**** website then and they've only just stopped charging for their bb help.

When I told her they should be sending out leaflets along with the other crap they send out to inform people who are ex Telepest that their equipment doesn't support the 2mb service they are paying for. She said it would be too big a job they don't know who has old equip and who has new.

Basically you're supposed to be phsychic if you know nothing about broadband but on the whole I'd say their customer service has improved. from -50 to -49 I did get some money back off them!

ps I'm not finished with them yet.

qnd_nz
28th June, 2008, 04:47 AM
Use DU Meter . it is the best software for testing Download and Upload Speed .

zcc
29th September, 2009, 11:42 PM
Internet Speed Test - Broadband, DSL Bandwidth Connection Check (http://www.auditmypc.com/internet-speed-test.asp)

This is the best one and the most reliable.

ruudvandan
3rd October, 2009, 12:54 AM
Internet Speed Test - Broadband, DSL Bandwidth Connection Check (http://www.auditmypc.com/internet-speed-test.asp)

This is the best one and the most reliable.

Are you sure? My firewall didn't like this so I didn't risk doing it.

chroma
4th October, 2009, 12:21 AM
The single most reliable speed test is linux distrobutions from a local university FTP.

University FTP's usualy top out at 100mbps more than enough to fully saturate a domestic connection.

Because its local it will take less routing via tinternet so there will be neglidgable bottlenecks to interfere with your speed.

Whither or not you actualy use linux or not is beside the point, it gives you a 700mb download (at least) at maximum speed for the duration so you can get a valid median speed and not be breaking any copyright laws whilst doing so ;)

gmb45
4th October, 2009, 04:05 AM
No luck there I'm afraid. I just spent the last 15 mins arguing with some Young "blond" girl. she said they can't upgrade the speed without charging extra I said "I'm sure you can if I told you I want to cancel my service",but she said she couldn't.

I did get a refund for the service I was supposed to be recieving since Nov. I need to check my paperwork cause I think the 2mb service came in before then.

When I quizzed her about the e-mails I had sent she replied. "I don't know where they go" You really need to call us if you have a problem. Why do they bother having an e-mail query form on their b**** website then and they've only just stopped charging for their bb help.

When I told her they should be sending out leaflets along with the other crap they send out to inform people who are ex Telepest that their equipment doesn't support the 2mb service they are paying for. She said it would be too big a job they don't know who has old equip and who has new.

Basically you're supposed to be phsychic if you know nothing about broadband but on the whole I'd say their customer service has improved. from -50 to -49 I did get some money back off them!

ps I'm not finished with them yet. in a lot of areas they are upgrading to 10mb for free ( or was it ?2 extra?) anway might be worth asking them if they will be doing it in your area

cunny
6th October, 2009, 09:03 PM

OK this is how i test my speeds. Use newsgroups and crack open 20 connections, see what your pulling down then.

There are no decent enough speed tests over the internet, but few things that could restrict your speeds are processes/services running in the background that are using the internet.

Maybe try booting into safe mode with networking and trying that out, also make sure the correct MAC is registered with VM as this will affect your speeds also

tommy t spanner
7th October, 2009, 04:50 AM
well i use this one maxes out my connection but is only a download test speedtest.bbned.nl (http://speedtest.bbned.nl/test/results.php?kbps=NaN&downloadtime=0&KB=0&recorded=1)

ianmac
7th October, 2009, 02:56 PM
I use "DU Meter" as it gets installed on your pc, & gives you the true speeds going through your installed hardware, it will also give you your true internal network speeds...
A lot of firewalls/Anti virus scanners do not like it, as it is telling them that is monitoring your behaviour, but that is obvious, as it is a speed monitor and is safe, so you will have to adjust you Firewall/Av to allow it...

Where as the other ones are only web based and will only tell you what is going through their website, and that will differ from website to website..

P.S. I think you can get the DU Meter as an ad-on for most windows sidebars now.

Hope this helps
Ian