PDA

View Full Version : DRUGS BLIGHTING ONE IN FIVE BRITS

gmb45
10th July, 2009, 04:07 AM
A fifth of all Britons admit their lives are being cursed by drugs.

As many as 19% of the population confess they have an addiction or they know someone who does.

And one in 20 said their family had been torn apart by drugs, according to shock figures piut yesterday, just weeks after it was reported that the UK has become the cocaine capital of Europe.

More than a million people were said to regularly snort the Class A substance. The research, commissioned by the charity DrugScope, says as many as one in 50 Brits are addicts.

And more than one in 10 (11%) have a close pal who is hooked on drugs.

Addiction figures were higher among younger age groups, with more than a quarter (27%) of young people aged 18 to 34 admitting they had experienced drug dependence.

The report has led to calls for the Government to invest more money in drug treatment.

A huge majority (77%) of the 1,039 adults surveyed agreed it would be a ?sensible use of Government money?.

And they were sympathetic to those affected, with 80% believing people became addicts ?because of other problems in their lives?.

DrugScope chief Martin Barnes said: ?Our research shows drug dependency is something that?s close to home for many people.

?Every drug user is someone?s daughter or somebody?s son.

?DrugScope supports calls for continued investment in drug treatment on the basis of compassion and effectiveness, not fear.?

forntida
10th July, 2009, 08:40 AM
“Every drug user is someone’s daughter or somebody’s son."

This material is far to deep for me at this time in the morning DB. You are needing to moderate the language somehow.

Lainie
10th July, 2009, 04:12 PM
no sure what kinda drugs thats all about. yes i take prescribed painkillers but never in my life have i tried any other kind of drug whether its smoked, powder, pill or injected. im far too scared too as i'd be the one something bad happened too and the thought of that is enough to stop me from trying.

Mr Pumpy
10th July, 2009, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't do crack... I would never do a drug named after a part of my arse.

gmb45
10th July, 2009, 06:06 PM
I wouldn't do crack... I would never do a drug named after a part of my arse.so u wouldnt know some good shit when u saw it then ?

Mr Pumpy
10th July, 2009, 06:34 PM
so u wouldnt know some good shit when u saw it then ?

Boom Boom. :)

chroma
10th July, 2009, 10:02 PM
Leagalise the lot across the board.

Ive tried just about everything under the sun. been addicted to a lot of it and most of the appeal for me back then was that i was sticking it to the man.
It was 50% getting wasted 50% danger cause its illegal buzz.

If it was legalised then the government could tax it and put the money towards the NHS, quality could be maintained (ie you would know that it was good quality concrete powder and paracetamol cut with your smack instead of bad quality masonry)

It would also put dealers out of business which is a major step in combatting gateway syndrome, i started on lsd and hash, my dealer had other stuff eager to shift so i tried some of that too, ketamine, methadone, cocain, speed etc
If you could snort it, smoke it or eat it i was in.

Some of it i liked some of it not so much (really who can have a good time on ketamine?)

The local rags laughibly termed "newspapers" around here are up in arms about Boots the chemist punting bags called "quick fix kits" you get a stack of needles, packs of swabs, sterilized spoons, cotton balls and packs of citic acid.
everything but the heroin...
The only reason i never tried injecting heroin was largely due to the fact that back in the 90s i had no idea where the hell to get supplies. I mean i could score the smack but then where the hell do i get the tools to cook it?
Ive seen people using it, know intimately how to cook it up (even how to cut pure diamorphene hydrochloride into 3x as much smack to sell but thats another story) but sharing a needle? maddnes! no way.
Now i can just stoat into my local chemist and get myself a nice set of sterilized tools! how messed up is that, willing to sell you everything you need bar the actual drugs?

The whole situation is screwed, how can anyone expect to regulate and educate people on anything thats illegal and therefore uncontroled and of unknown quantities?

This all being said, ive not touched a drug in well over 6 years, im even doubtfull i could get hold of anything decent. i dont have the mental fortitude to deal with it any more, i get a comedown rather than a kick out of stuff now. which i guess is a good thing if im honest.
Ive been lucky though, i know a majority are not so. so yeah legalise the stuff already and start getting it under control.