PDA

View Full Version : Bios downgrade?

thewarden
27th November, 2014, 12:42 PM
Hello,

First off, my laptop is a medion S4209.

I recently reinstalled windows 7 as my laptop had become really sluggish.

After reinstalling, I had a problem whereby when I closed the lid (sleep) the WiFi would switch off and need manually switching back on.

I tried loads of fixes, reinstall, disabling power management, deleting drivers etc. Then as a last resort updated the bios.

This cured the WiFi off problem but left me with a bigger headache.

The WiFi now keeps dropping signal.

I've tried more fresh reinstalls, rebooting router, switching every appliance off, loads of drivers, disabling ivp6, repositioning the router, pretty much everything Google has suggested. I've done it.

I can now only think it's down to the bios upgrade, please can anybody tell me how to revert back. I can't find the bios revisions online.

The manufacturer only has the latest bios and say they do not supply superceded files.

Perhaps I could get the bios for a different machine that has the same motherboard?

I just don't know, I'm typing on my phone and my eyes hurt.

Thanks

thewarden
27th November, 2014, 01:52 PM
Update ; I just went back to the medion site where I got the bios file.

I now see it was for windows 8, not 7.

Oh dear.

Cod3waX
27th November, 2014, 07:08 PM
Instructions

Load BIOS Defaults with Display

1 Restart the computer.
2 Hit the F2 key when the manufacturer's logo is on the screen. If you do not see the manufacturer's logo, the BIOS can be accessed by hitting the F1, F10 or DEL keys.
3 Highlight Maintenance and expand this menu. Select Load defaults and press enter. Press enter to continue. After changing the BIOS settings, press escape. Save and then exit the BIOS. The BIOS settings will be changed to those that originally came with the system. Depending on the system, the Load Factory defaults may be found in the exit menu or can be loaded by hitting Alt + F keys.

thewarden
27th November, 2014, 08:50 PM
Instructions

1 Restart the computer.
2 Hit the F2 key when the manufacturer's logo is on the screen. If you do not see the manufacturer's logo, the BIOS can be accessed by hitting the F1, F10 or DEL keys.
3 Highlight Maintenance and expand this menu. Select Load defaults and press enter. Press enter to continue. After changing the BIOS settings, press escape. Save and then exit the BIOS. The BIOS settings will be changed to those that originally came with the system. Depending on the system, the Load Factory defaults may be found in the exit menu or can be loaded by hitting Alt + F keys.

Thanks, here goes...

thewarden
27th November, 2014, 09:08 PM
Didnt work.

The Bios version remains at 507.

cunny
29th November, 2014, 11:39 AM
Instructions

1 Restart the computer.

Thats only to reset a BIOS not a flash.

Pop the back cover off, (if you can without breaking any seal) you should be able to get the motherboard model. Pop into google and it should find vendor, ie intel. You should be able to get a bios file from there.

Firms like medion, pc world etc dont have boards made for them, they use whats on the market thats aimed for the target price range. They dont tell you this though.

thewarden
30th November, 2014, 12:14 AM
Thanks, I'll try tomorrow.

System info says it is manufactured by medion, I did doubt that.

thewarden
2nd December, 2014, 12:45 PM
Thats only to reset a BIOS not a flash.

Pop the back cover off, (if you can without breaking any seal) you should be able to get the motherboard model. Pop into google and it should find vendor, ie intel. You should be able to get a bios file from there.

Firms like medion, pc world etc dont have boards made for them, they use whats on the market thats aimed for the target price range. They dont tell you this though.

Here is what I have printed on the Motherboard..

Hannstar J MV-4 94v-0

E89382

Still cant find a Win 7 BIOS for it though..

cunny
3rd December, 2014, 10:12 PM
No, im struggling with it also.

Have you tried different wifi channels/setting etc.

The problem is that this is a chinese board thats not really well supported. Im going to do some digging about now see if i can find anything.

thewarden
4th December, 2014, 08:51 AM
No, im struggling with it also.

Have you tried different wifi channels/setting etc.

The problem is that this is a chinese board thats not really well supported. Im going to do some digging about now see if i can find anything.

Haha thanks,

Yes I tried different channels.

Ive also been to the darkest corners of the internet, posing here and there in the hope that somebody has the file sitting on their hard drive.

I did get the BIOS for a Toshiba C855, which has the same board, tried flashing that but it wouldnt take.

Probably just as well, as would more than likely screwed it up completely but I've now resorted to stabs in the dark.

cunny
4th December, 2014, 11:53 AM
That was my next suggestion.

Id ring Medion. Ask them to supply the file. Tell them thier latest bios has made you laptop unstable/unusable. If they wont supply a file, ask to speak to a supervisor/technicain who can help sort this issue.

In the meantime, consider a usb wifi dongle

thewarden
4th December, 2014, 06:06 PM
That was my next suggestion.

Id ring Medion. Ask them to supply the file. Tell them thier latest bios has made you laptop unstable/unusable. If they wont supply a file, ask to speak to a supervisor/technicain who can help sort this issue.

In the meantime, consider a usb wifi dongle

Cheers Cunny,

This afternoon, I tethered my Android phone as a wifi adapter - Full Speed Ahead.

Im starting to think my wifi card has been failing, and the fact that I upgraded the BIOS around the same time has led me on a wild goose chase.

Maybe the BIOS has nothing to do with it after all?

Anyway - Ive ordered a tiny USB dongle from Ebay for ?3.49 form Ebay, If it does half a good job as my phone, Ill be happy..

cunny
4th December, 2014, 09:49 PM
You could check the name and model of the adapter as some are removable quite easily and replaceable