PDA

View Full Version : any info on old mercedes 190 ignition lock?

ninja123
1st December, 2014, 06:44 PM
I have a customer with this 1989 car, key just stopped turning in ignition lock.

I can feel all 10 wafers and they are moving free, but both keys will not turn, even made a new key but still the same.

It is very hard to see back of lock, but I see a cable running from ign lock to gear lever.

Any known faults and/or remedy for this old bitch?

ninja

Fallen
1st December, 2014, 09:48 PM
Old HU39 wearing is a common problem mate.
Recut the keys back to code and if that does not work, cut them 1/2 cut shallow.
You may have to get a bit physical so use vice grips.

ninja123
1st December, 2014, 10:35 PM
this is HU41 mate, i can get hu64 lishi in and feel 9 out of 10 wafers but cant pick as 1 wafer i cant reach, only have 1 hu64 lishi so not prepared to mod it just for this scrapper :)

ninja

Fallen
2nd December, 2014, 12:21 AM
Should still be the same solution.
Sharpen an impression file, insert new key (hold in) and turn key by punching the key surround clockwise.

kemaster
2nd December, 2014, 09:15 AM
Hi. It's a little pain in the a*s but will try to give your some tips. I suppose wafer are too worn and this is the reason why you can't turn the lock(of course if some part is not broken inside the lock). If can't turn the lock then it's hard to remove it. Need to remove ign. console from tube. How to do that: remove steering wheel, remove turn signal switch, remove dash too. Now you will see the whole ignition console and how it's insert in metal tube. Also you will see releasing pin that must be pushed in order to remove console. But in this possition you can't push it. You need to retract the steering lock bolt first. So drill a 5-6mm hole in tube near the place where it's welded to gain access to lock bolt. Using a small screwdriver or proper shape steel rod retract steering lock bolt then push releasing pin and remove console from tube. Also you will need to remove ignition switch too. Now having ignition console in hand put on table and cut like in pictures(use a grinder). Push harder the 2 blocking elements and pull the black steel cap. Then need to remove face cap pin and remove the cap(here must be very carefull- easy to break ignition plug ) Now you have access to spring loaded plate and using steel rod remove the ignition lock. Hope this will help you.

Edit: there is a special tool for cutting black steel cup face part and direct removing of ignition lock.

kemaster
2nd December, 2014, 09:51 AM
If wafer condition is like on the picture I'm afraid even new key won't help

Jan1980
3rd December, 2014, 01:00 AM
Sir, it is a known problem on these models. Just renew the key cylinder (60 Euro). You must not remove the key lock completely. Just remove the ring in front of the lock cylinder with a
small screwdriver. You?ll see 2 holes in front of the key cylinder. Use a strongly wire with 2mm diameter and grind it flat on both ends. Now bend it, that the both ends fit to the holes. Turn the key in position 1. Take the wire to the holes firmly. Now, you can pull out the key cylinder and renew it with the new one. You can order the new key cylinder with your
"fahrzeugbrief" and your own signature exactly for your car on mercedes workshop. You don?t need new keys or anything...

ninja123
3rd December, 2014, 08:36 AM
one slight problem, KEY DONT TURN, HENCE THIS THREAD!!!

ninja