PDA

View Full Version : Vectra C heat/stone shield, or is it and what to do ?

Saltire
9th January, 2015, 10:44 PM
CLICK THE PHOTOS AND IT MIGHT LET YOU SEE THEM BIGGER.

(see attached photos). plus its the Vauxhall Vectra C, Dec 55 plate Sri Model (4 door hatchback), the newer model with the wrap round headlights to make it much fancier looking if you know what I mean ?

The mrs had to get the RAC out today because she could hear some type of racket from under the car or something.

After she got out and had a look underneath the car she couldnt see anything hanging down, so she just carried on to her friends house and called the RAC out etc.

The RAC guy had her start the engine up and straight away he heard the noise, jacked the car up etc and went under and pulled off this what he seemingly called a heat shield or a stone shield or something like that, not sure exactly as I wasnt there.

To me it all seems to be in one piece though by the looks of the part, dont be fooled with the small pictures, its about 46 inch's long and about 17 inch wide, it is flexible as if its made of tin or something. (click the photos and it enlarges them).

He did say to her though that the nuts or bolts wouldnt budge, so he would have to pull this section off which he done to sort the problem.
(see attached photos).

He then said it was safe enough to use the car without it but really it should be put back on but might be slightly tricky because of the rusted nuts or bolts or whatever it was he said, he couldnt get them off as I said.

So really, first of all, I am trying to find out exactly what this part is called if someone can tell me please ? (see attached photos).

Secondly, whats the type of work required to get this back on and can I use the same part again ?

Lastly, it will need to go into our little local private garage that does all types of Vehicle jobs, so what kind of money would we be talking Tops ?

p.s, the part number on the section seems to be from what I can see "GM 24422178 AI995" (not sure if thats an I or an L after the A, its hard to tell).

Thanks guys :)

Saltire
10th January, 2015, 12:46 AM
anyone ? :)

Meat-Head
10th January, 2015, 01:17 AM
PROPEBLY A HEAT sheld, i would guess is going to have rotten bolts, / flanges, guess you might be able to park on curb or jack up/support and hold back on with plent of self tappers.

tweet your local opel dealer see if you can get a photo of exhaust tweeted across

raf0468
10th January, 2015, 01:41 AM
its the heat shield for the exhaust to stop the heat transferring and entering into the cabin of the vehicle,
any local garage on a ramp put it back not a big job,,

the_riddler
10th January, 2015, 04:12 AM
As Raf already said yes its a heat shield
and again easy job on a ramp... BUT not so easy on a jack to do
and they really do stop heat passing through to interior.