PDA

View Full Version : HELP! which satellite do i need for UK programs

nod123
18th July, 2009, 07:45 PM
Just bought the ?40 freesat package from BQ only thing is the sats that i am picking up will only give me progrms from all round the world i just want the english stuff.....what satellite do i need to pick up and what settings do i need for all the freeview stuff like bbc 1 2 and kids stuff....

kingofsat
18th July, 2009, 08:50 PM
Hello,

Well done for having a go yourself. You will need the astra sats for BBC etc. The best way to find these sats without a meter is to copy the direction of the minidishes in your street. The sats actually sit at 28.2 Degress East. Its very easy to get mixed up with another sat as a small turn on the dish is a large turn when looking into space.

Use the signal strength meter thats usally built into the receiver to help you with this.

Post again if you get stuck

nod123
19th July, 2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks i will have ago today and let you know....

nod123
19th July, 2009, 10:14 AM
Yeah still picking up eurobird and hotbird its real hard just with a sat beeper tester thingy hehe....ill keep trying

verrall123
6th August, 2009, 10:45 PM
Yeah still picking up eurobird and hotbird its real hard just with a sat beeper tester thingy hehe....ill keep trying
you need to move the dish 28.2

verrall123
6th August, 2009, 10:46 PM
you need to move the dish 28.2
you are on 13. move to the right a little

thorpeinteriors09
8th November, 2009, 02:20 AM
I have also bought this same kit, I`ve managed to get it to work and get the majority of the channels to work also, but some of the channels the box says we should be beable to pick up, says they is no signal!.... ive tried to sort it out with my g/f for two days now.. we must be at the correct 28.2 degrees east cause we`ve got all the bbcs, itvs,channel 4s.... etc etc.. right???????
and also some of them wont give use any info to what the program we want to watch.
would it make any diffrence the fact i didnt use the dish that came with the kit? ive used the "LNB" that came with dish thou, we had a existing old sky dish up so i thought it would be a quicker job if i just used what was already up (im hoping that doing this is actually possible,and not wasted two days just because i was lazy)lol....... by the way strength is at 76% and the quality is at 39% now..the chap on the phone at ross`s technical support told me to worry more about the quality than the strength... is this correct??? also the strength and quality percentages keep going up and down... is this ok or is thier some way to sort that out? the bloke said the tp lock should come on automatically (but it does`nt)...please help me... thankyou very much for any help ..

krazylegz
8th November, 2009, 12:40 PM
you should have used the lnb that was already on the minidish mate as would have been set. you can try adjusting the lnb, this is called 'skew' and can make a massive difference on your readings, just try to turn the lnb sideways till you get your highest readings. also i havent seen the kit from B&Q so dont know what the quality is like, for lnbs the lower the numbers the better so a 0.1db lnb is better than a 0.5db. also i dont know what reciever you have but the problem with epg is that sky uses a private epg system so a normal after market box will only show now and next, where as a real sky box and freesat, or a dreambox with the right image on will show more.

and yes you need to try and get the signal quality higher but this could be sorted by adjusting the skew

dick b
8th November, 2009, 03:04 PM
the bloke at ross"s is right its the quality that counts.
when you say old sky dish how old, is it nearly round or a small oval one.

sinbad
19th November, 2009, 03:11 PM
after trying evry sat in the menu i set mine to astra E and did a blind scan it found all the channel but did have to go throw them and delete bbc london bbc irl bbc bujabi and so on till all that was left was bbc yorkshire and the same with bbc2. also i had to scrol right down the list coz there is 2 bbc york one that worked and one that didnt. i picked up alot of none english ones too just deleted them to till i found one with football on so kepted that one i used the sky dish already up not the one that it came with it. a good tip when u set up this box up is have plenty of painkiller tablets with u. you will need them after all that i paid an extra 19 pound ?59 and got a freesat hd from argos all setup in 2mins works a treat now get itv bbc hd channels aswel now

patkins
26th February, 2010, 09:23 PM
Sinbad, it`s all down to trial and error. We probably all experienced the same pain when we started out.

lee7763
5th June, 2010, 11:54 PM
Getting channels getting every other countries signals except the English ones!
Hi Folks,
Well what a blast I am having (Not) setting up my B&Q Ross system.
Have been trying to align my dish for 2 days now but still having problems.
Have tried to use http://www.dishpointer.com/ (http://www.dishpointer.com/)
And also a magnetic compass. (Which bright spark thought of that one. I mean magnetic compass large steel dish whilst standing on steel ladders. Spot the obvious)
I have got the latest sw update as advertised by Ross @ http://www.ross.co.uk/upgrade/22300hd-r/ (http://www.ross.co.uk/upgrade/22300hd-r/)
My problem is that I can find 2 good signals with a quality of 63% . The book advises over 50%.
When I scan for FTA channels with the dish lined up to either signal I get loads of channels but I only get signals on the foreign channels. I get no or bad signal on the ITV and other English channels.
I get a signal for the odd English speaking channel like CNN.
I have tried twisting the LNB in its mount and moving the dish in very small increments.
Please what am I doing wrong?

dick b
6th June, 2010, 01:36 PM
It sounds like you are on the wrong sat mate.We all struggled to start with but you will get there in the end.I dont know the box you are using but if you can input this frequency its for bbc news and will give you a channel to target. 11.954 H 27500.
your dish should be pointing in the same direction as the sky dishes that are around you.the difference between getting the correct signal or not is very small.I"d leave the lnb set half way in the mount with the connection pointing down for now,you can fine tune it once you have found the right sat.
PS use the std font could only just read your post.

lee7763
6th June, 2010, 08:14 PM
Cheers Dick b.
I will give it another go on Tuesday evening. Will let you know how I get on

loverlover
7th June, 2010, 07:01 PM
setup my first freesat system today up and working in just over one hour :proud: i think i wiil buy myself a system now

mdt
7th June, 2010, 07:46 PM
setup my first freesat system today up and working in just over one hour :proud: i think i wiil buy myself a system now

well done m8! i find the satisfaction is much better if you do it yourself. regards mdt

lee7763
10th June, 2010, 11:39 PM
Yipee!
Setup at last.
Went and bought one of the cheap signal finders off eBay and got set up within half an hour.
I can?t believe how close the signal was to another satellite. I would have been playing with this for a lot longer if Dick b had not pointed me in the right direction (Pun Intended)
Many Thanks

willk9
2nd January, 2011, 05:20 PM
after trying evry sat in the menu i set mine to astra E and did a blind scan it found all the channel but did have to go throw them and delete bbc london bbc irl bbc bujabi and so on till all that was left was bbc yorkshire and the same with bbc2. also i had to scrol right down the list coz there is 2 bbc york one that worked and one that didnt. i picked up alot of none english ones too just deleted them to till i found one with football on so kepted that one i used the sky dish already up not the one that it came with it. a good tip when u set up this box up is have plenty of painkiller tablets with u. you will need them after all that i paid an extra 19 pound ?59 and got a freesat hd from argos all setup in 2mins works a treat now get itv bbc hd channels aswel now

what kinds of games could you recieve and watch