PDA

View Full Version : Power supply for OBD flashing

Ihlberg82
12th March, 2015, 11:03 AM
I would like suggestions on suitable power supply for OBD flashing.

I?m a all new to this and I will be flashing cars as a hobby more than earning cash.

Is this a good choice? MAAS SPS 50 II 55 Amp http://www.electrocom-uk.com/store/prod_2885902-MAAS-SPS-50-II-55-Amp-power-supply.html

I also would like to make my own pogo pins for boot mode connections with Kess V2. Anyone know which sizes that are best suitable for this?

aem
12th March, 2015, 11:09 AM
i use battery recharger and always v is more than 13,5v

heteromies
12th March, 2015, 11:35 AM
I would like suggestions on suitable power supply for OBD flashing.

I?m a all new to this and I will be flashing cars as a hobby more than earning cash.

Is this a good choice? MAAS SPS 50 II 55 Amp http://www.electrocom-uk.com/store/prod_2885902-MAAS-SPS-50-II-55-Amp-power-supply.html

I also would like to make my own pogo pins for boot mode connections with Kess V2. Anyone know which sizes that are best suitable for this?

I think that power supply is good enought for many cars. Use that 13.8 fixed outputs. Some BMW needs over 14V and about 80A.

mishu_b
12th March, 2015, 02:19 PM
I think that power supply is good enought for many cars. Use that 13.8 fixed outputs. Some BMW needs over 14V and about 80A.

Really 80A only for flashing the ECU!!!! I have never heard about this amount of current for flashing!!!
Who is consuming such amount? Becouse the engine it is switched off.

heteromies
12th March, 2015, 02:31 PM
Really 80A only for flashing the ECU!!!! I have never heard about this amount of current for flashing!!!
Who is consuming such amount? Becouse the engine it is switched off.

Sorry, i mess up with BMW programming. No need when flashing so much. Thanks for mention.

overs0ull
12th March, 2015, 02:34 PM
the bmw new series have a lot of moduls and the dry the batter on ignition switch on . with that reason they need over 14v and over a lot of amp to not have truble with them . But for most of the cars this witch you look will do the djob and all bi fine .

mishu_b
12th March, 2015, 03:23 PM
the bmw new series have a lot of moduls and the dry the batter on ignition switch on . with that reason they need over 14v and over a lot of amp to not have truble with them . But for most of the cars this witch you look will do the djob and all bi fine .

mate - it is about 80A!!! do you realize 80A X 14V = 1120 W = 1.2KW - what the hell!!!
the new BMW, AUDI, any car which you want - ON HOLD - will not need such power, if will be so - than for 5 min or 10 min doing the "diag" of the car the battery will be lost!

bobolin4o
13th March, 2015, 05:13 PM
mate - it is about 80A!!! do you realize 80A X 14V = 1120 W = 1.2KW - what the hell!!!
the new BMW, AUDI, any car which you want - ON HOLD - will not need such power, if will be so - than for 5 min or 10 min doing the "diag" of the car the battery will be lost!

From my experience... BMW e60 for example, at ignition on, consuming about 20A. When use ISTA P, the tension must be 13,5V (at OBD socket!... that mean 14,5V on the battery in some cases) minimum, or programing of the modules wont start. In that situation consumption from the power supply is about 30-40A, because of the battery charging. When the battery is in poor condition, the consumption is about 50-60A for few minutes, i've seen even 80A... So i think the power supply must be 100A minimum.
But, for flashing the ECU with some OBD flasher, 50A power supply is good enough.
Regards!

Ihlberg82
13th March, 2015, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys for the information :)